APR Maps and Exhausts

Renox

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Was thinking of getting a stage 1 engine and DSG map but pretty unsure how reliable/safe this is to do... anyone had any issues with pushing more power?

Also the exhaust, how does it work? I want the pops and bangs but not that silly soundaktor adding fake noise. When put into dynamic is pops pretty well but in comfort it’s there but not as loud, is the stock exhaust valved?

Anyone know of a decent exhaust that doesn’t sound horrid since it’s only a 2.0?

Cheers,

Renox

Try resonator delete and de-activating valves via VCDS, you don’t say how old the car is, I assumed facelift if you’re getting nice pops as the new one is pretty tame I hear.
I did those two things and my car sounds pretty decent for not much money. If not good enough for you, you can then upgrade the exhaust

Yeah so you should get some nice sound :) and no, it doesn't void warranty if you're just disabling valves, I'm sure if someone made changes and messed something up that wouldn't be covered under warranty but this is a fairly innocent mod

2016 is the year, also does using VCDS void any warranty?

a stage 1 remap certainly will. If you are concerned about any warranty then forget it.

Regarding stage 1 it's always a risk. No one can say for certain and whilst a few have had issues (blown pistons) there are a lots of who havent had any at all, and whilst running a lot more power on full stage 2. It really does transform the car and is well worth it if you are prepared to take the risk. Just make sure its kept up with services, don't hammer it all the time, warm it up properly before hammering etc, and you've got the best chance of it serving you well.

Reactions: N.J.H
Had my stage 1 for over a year now, both ECU & TCU. Had the car from 2k miles and did it when it hit 6k- I have now hit 33k miles, my map has been run for 27k miles (ish). Was worried about the warranty, however mine has been in 3 times for Warranty related issues & my local Audi garage hasn't batted an eye lid- 2 mechanical issues & one electrical ( B&O Sound system went) Had no issues with it so far!! Totally transformed the car, couldn't go back to a S3 non mapped now..

Be prepared for a serious drop in MPG though.. over the last 20k miles my long term trip computer has thrown up an average of 23mpg.

On a 15 mile run to work Il get anything from 18mpg ( lively driving) upto 25mpg. It's very rare the car reaches anything above 30mpg anymore.

You also must run super unleaded only if you go down the APR route. Their maps do not get on well with normal fuels!

When it comes to sell my APR dealer will wipe the map.

I changed the exhaust for a BCS S3 Anti drone res delete. Lovely bit of kit, really picks the noise up and brings the pops to life.

I would add it is STILL slightly droney at 4/5k revs, I couldn't imagine what it would have been like if I had chosen the normal res delete & not the anti- drone one...

Last edited:
I've got the BCS anti-drone one too (bought it off @Mark_86) and it does drone with valves disabled at all revs as it's designed for the valved system, however the noise with the valves open is awesome if you're not cruising on the motorway.

Reactions: JM13
I'm APR stage 2 HO on Mk7R without any issues to engine/tran/turbo. I had the water pump and haldex fail but known issues on my model nothing to do with tune.

If you want bangs and pops tune then look at stage 2 with DP. Will get the added sound and no drone with extra power. You will need TCU tune also and intake/inlet mod. Both Audi and VW s/3 etc more than capable of handling stage 1 and 2 power. Hits the limit when looking stage 3 500hp.

Cheers for the replies, a great deal of information too!

Looks like I’ll be giving stage 1 a try on ECU and TCU after this pandemic is finally over.

Reactions: JM13