Apple music songs to SD Card

Tom.H

Reaction score
Hey guys, am I being stupid here or is there no easy way to add songs onto an SD card for the car that I've downloaded from Apple Music?

I added them on there yesterday but they don't show up - most likely because Apple have protected them! I try to keep the phone music free to save room for other bits and pieces, plus its quite handy not having the phone plugged in constantly.

Can you access them on iTunes? If so, right click the song itself and there should be an option to "show in folder" or "see original file" or some such.

Then drag those to the SD card.

Reactions: LouiseS3
Can you access them on iTunes? If so, right click the song itself and there should be an option to "show in folder" or "see original file" or some such.

Then drag those to the SD card.

I can find them in the folder they're stored in but they're M4P files which obviously the car doesn't recognise! Tried a few converters but because they're right protected they won't convert them.

Ah, can't help, sorry. Good luck!

your better off ditching using apple music tbh. a load of DRM protected bollix

Reactions: Krash
your better off ditching using apple music tbh. a load of DRM protected bollix

I'm starting to realise that now lol thankfully it's a free trial. Any idea of Spotify allows it or any recommendations of something else to use where I can get them off the computer onto the SD card.

I really like spotify but i think it's similar in terms of trying to extract music from it. You're best off just buying stuff/ripping it or downloading it really if you want to use the files natively on the NMI juke box. I know spotify does some kind of offline mode but not played with it.

Reactions: Tom.H
I really like spotify but i think it's similar in terms of trying to extract music from it. You're best off just buying stuff/ripping it or downloading it really if you want to use the files natively on the NMI juke box. I know spotify does some kind of offline mode but not played with it.

Thought as much, maybe stick to converting YouTube :eyes:

Fyi Amazon music is drm-free.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In iTunes if you mark the music files first there should be a option (top menu) to convert them to *.mp3 files that you can play in the car.

Remember that you might need a 3rd party software to change song picture size or else it wont show up.

In iTunes if you mark the music files first there should be a option (top menu) to convert them to *.mp3 files that you can play in the car.

Remember that you might need a 3rd party software to change song picture size or else it wont show up.

Did try to covert them but it says that they can't be converted because they're protected.

Ok, then i suspect your files are a bit old.
In the beginning iTunes sold DRM protected music in lower quality.
At one point a few years ago they upped the quality and gave more freedom to convert the music.
I belive the options were to either upgrade old music for a cost or buy the same songs again.

There is still one more option (not recommended), burning your music to cds and then rip them back to mp3 :(

Ok, then i suspect your files are a bit old.
In the beginning iTunes sold DRM protected music in lower quality.
At one point a few years ago they upped the quality and gave more freedom to convert the music.
I belive the options were to either upgrade old music for a cost or buy the same songs again.

There is still one more option (not recommended), burning your music to cds and then rip them back to mp3 :(

The songs I downloaded the other day are from this year and 2016 lol

Perhaps it's either because it's a trial of Apple Music or because they're not paid for, I guess if they were on the phone I'd have no issues with playback in the car.

I did burn them to disc but even then they're still the M4P protected files, seems if I want them in the car on an SD card then Apple Music isn't the way to go.

You aren't buying the music from Apple. your renting it essentially. So all those files won't be available to extract from the files folder. Once your trial period ends then all those music files will disappear as you will have lost the right to "listen" to them. With Spotify its a bit different in a sense that there is a free version so you can always stream, but Apple doesn't offer this.

From what i know, unless there is a program that will do it, then Spotify or Apple Music won't ever allow you to download and keep the files or extract them to an SD Card. You will need to download/torrent them from a different source. Of course this is applicable to Spotify & Apple Music monthly schemes. Im not sure on the procedure if you buy the album as i know with A.M. then you can still do this via iTunes. Spotify has always been a streaming service and A.M. evolved to compete with it.

Last edited:
With Spotify you can download to your device if you pay for premium. Spotify via CarPlay works well.

Why the preference for SD?

Just thought if I had them on the SD card, I haven't gotta worry about plugging the phone in every time I get in the car for Car Play to come on and keeps the phone clear for pictures etc.

Reactions: Krash
Just thought if I had them on the SD card, I haven't gotta worry about plugging the phone in every time I get in the car for Car Play to come on and keeps the phone clear for pictures etc.
I see, I tried the Sd card route on my previous car and it was a pain in the back side so gave up on it, my commute is an hour each way so happy to plug in but can see it’s a pain on shorter journies