Apple CarPlay - Wired vs Wireless

NSS89

Reaction score
How are you guys finding wireless carplay? I've switched to wired as found it a bit temperamental and don't want it dropping out in the middle of using a nav app.

So just interested to hear people's experience with it.

Same here, wired only. I found wireless to be too fiddly and having a mind of its own on when it wants to connect.

It needs wifi in the car to be activated and that requires either a mobile phone that supports rSAP (ie not Apple), a SIM in the slot in the armrest with a data plan or paying Audi to buy data for the eSIM installed in the car

It needs wifi in the car to be activated and that requires either a mobile phone that supports rSAP (ie not Apple), a SIM in the slot in the armrest with a data plan or paying Audi to buy data for the eSIM installed in the car
What size is the sim needed for the car?

My wireless car play has worked almost seamlessly since new, with it dipping out maybe once or twice for a seconds.

It seems to connect automatically most but not all times.

It was set up by the dealer so assume the sim installed is part of Audi connect?

My wireless car play has worked almost seamlessly since new, with it dipping out maybe once or twice for a seconds.

It seems to connect automatically most but not all times.

It was set up by the dealer so assume the sim installed is part of Audi connect?
Samsung or apple ? Perhaps it’s part of the my20 builds

So this might be off topic but when connected to the WiFi in the car, my iPhone (X) loses its data connection.

Is this resolved by purchasing a data plan from Audi? Cubic Telecom I think its called.

Collected a new A6 today and wireless CarPlay just works, the only thing I did was pair the phone by Bluetooth.

Seen on another forum that the car creates 2 WiFi networks, one 2.4g and one 5g. Apparenty for CarPlay to work wirelessly you need to connect to the 5g one. Still doesn't help those of us with MY19 cars that cannot activate a wifi connection between iPhone and car with out buying a data contract

Seen on another forum that the car creates 2 WiFi networks, one 2.4g and one 5g. Apparenty for CarPlay to work wirelessly you need to connect to the 5g one. Still doesn't help those of us with MY19 cars that cannot activate a wifi connection between iPhone and car with out buying a data contract
Maybe in a software update that will change

Collected a new A6 today and wireless CarPlay just works, the only thing I did was pair the phone by Bluetooth.

Does your phone data still work when connected to the car WiFi? I can't load any websites, whatsapp sits on connecting etc

Maybe in a software update that will change
As others have said Audi do not have a good track record of updating exisiting cars with new software releases unless they are forced to because of a bug, so I am not holding my breath

Does your phone data still work when connected to the car WiFi? I can't load any websites, whatsapp sits on connecting etc

I will try and test that at the weekend as I’ve not connected my iPhone to the car WiFi yet

I will try and test that at the weekend as I’ve not connected my iPhone to the car WiFi yet

Apologies, just re-read your post and saw you said you connected via bluetooth. If you could that would be great and if anyone else reading can also confirm it would be appreciated.

I guess if you use the car as WIFI, then you will need a data plan and the car will be the hotspot for other users. To use the CarPlay feature, you will need to connect a wire for the 1st. time and will be prompted asked if you wish to use CarPlay, if so, you need to enter the code shown on screen; accept on car and phone and you good to go. (All that on IOs. Not sure for Android) If you connect via Bluetooth, you will loose access to Apps like WhatsApp, Wise and others, but still can play music or access contacts on the phone.
So far, it has been working perfect fine without any lag or loosing connection on my car MY20. Just a few times did not connect when I switch on ignition, so I put the wire, but after I switch on the ignition again, it connects again on its own.
On youtube has quite a few video instructions how to connect CarPlay/Android with MMI.