Apple CarPlay not working with iPhone XS Max

Joetidman

Reaction score
Sadly my S5 sport back is refusing to work with my new XS Max phone on iOS12. It seems to think the phone is connected correctly, but basically I get a black screen inside the car, and can’t perform any functions.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I know its no help at all but Android Auto works lovely :)

The MMI is not compatible with iPhone X (so I am told). You will need a software update from an Audi approved garage, or on your next service.

Reactions: Joetidman
The MMI is not compatible with iPhone X (so I am told). You will need a software update from an Audi approved garage, or on your next service.

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that, I’ll contact Audi customer services and get their view

Let me know what they say as I'm due an upgrade but held off because of this issue.

Sadly my S5 sport back is refusing to work with my new XS Max phone on iOS12. It seems to think the phone is connected correctly, but basically I get a black screen inside the car, and can’t perform any functions.

Any ideas?
That's odd, when I first got the car the screen of my phone had to be awake/showing for it to connect to the car, but now it just connects (ios bug maybe sorted out in an update!?!?), try making sure the phone is unlocked and the display is showing before connecting it to the car....maybe it's the same type of bug...worth a try!

I have the iPhone X running iOS12 and it works perfectly...no upgrade needed and mines a 67 plate.

Any ideas?

Working fine on my 2018 Q5 with iPhone XS. As you say, maybe you need MMI update

The car is probably in shock that someone has paid all that money for a phone, try it again next week. :yes::yes::yes:

So after a couple of restarts it started to pick up the phone and work, only to drop the connection after 10 or so seconds, the reconnect, rinse and repeat...

Maybe it’s the specific model of phone I have or just bad luck? Audi CS said that it’s so new they haven’t done all the compatibility tests yet, so perhaps an iOS patch or mmi patch needed

Very frustrating as my old iPhone 7 Plus was rock solid in the car

The car is probably in shock that someone has paid all that money for a phone, try it again next week. :yes::yes::yes:

Lol, it’s only money ;)

Tbf the phone is amazing, lightning quick and beautiful screen and camera, just need the sodding thing to behave in my S5...

So after a couple of restarts it started to pick up the phone and work, only to drop the connection after 10 or so seconds, the reconnect, rinse and repeat...

Maybe it’s the specific model of phone I have or just bad luck? Audi CS said that it’s so new they haven’t done all the compatibility tests yet, so perhaps an iOS patch or mmi patch needed

Sounds obvious but have you removed the phone from mmi and repaired, as well as removing Audi mmi from CarPlay setting on phone and re-adding?

Sounds obvious but have you removed the phone from mmi and repaired, as well as removing Audi mmi from CarPlay setting on phone and re-adding?

Sorry what do you mean by repaired?

Sorry what do you mean by repaired?

Sorry, re-pair, so go into menu and remove phone from Bluetooth, and remove Audi MMI from iPhone settings.

Then re-pair the phone to car, meaning turn on Bluetooth and pair with car, not needed for CarPlay I know but worth clearing everything as that is what I did before adding XS.

Plugging in phone to car will then kick off install of that

Reactions: Joetidman
Thanks I was being dumb

Does Carpay work over bluetooth?? I always have mine plugged in..

Does Carpay work over bluetooth?? I always have mine plugged in..
No, it needs to be plugged in. I was just suggesting OP removed phone completely (incl bluetooth) and start fresh as new phone.

Incidentally BMW/Mini have the sole licence to use CarPlay without the need to plug in

No, it needs to be plugged in. I was just suggesting OP removed phone completely (incl bluetooth) and start fresh as new phone.

Incidentally BMW/Mini have the sole licence to use CarPlay without the need to plug in

:(

I know mate. And conversely, I was confident my wife's new Mini JCW would work with Car Play, but because it doesn't have the "upgraded" touch screen with built in wireless, it doesn't :wtf:

My own fault for not researching more beforehand...lesson learned the hard way.

So I tried re-pairing everything from scratch and it appeared to work, although this morning I got another reconnect on the way to work. It’s annoying as it resets the satnav for some reason so you have to start that off again. Clearly some bug somewhere even though it’s not happening as often. Perhaps an apple iOS update will kick in in a few weeks to correct

sounds to me like a dodgy cable/connection if it is having to reconnect

Tried a friends iPhone X on mine and no joy at all. My iPhone 7 plus works great. Could there be a MMI software difference between 17 & 67 plates I wonder as someone reports it works on his 67 plate?

I have an iPhone Xs Plus and it works fine with my S5 Sportback MMI

My car was new in May this year

Does look as though 2018 MMI is fine, but as above appears to be "potentially" issue with 2017 and older.

Does look as though 2018 MMI is fine, but as above appears to be "potentially" issue with 2017 and older.
Agreed, as I was told then the MMI needs an update. Not a big issue for me though so will wait until next service.

Reactions: NevMan
Mine works absolutely fine and it's a 17 plate A5 S Line.

I had to allow it permission on the phone though.

I am having exactly the same issue

iPhone XS
2017 (MY2018) S5 Sportback.

I’m at the dealers next week so may ask them about the MMI update

Have you checked your cable? I had problems with a previous cable on my iPhone X. Swapped the cable and it worked fine.

Have you checked your cable? I had problems with a previous cable on my iPhone X. Swapped the cable and it worked fine.

I might try that. It’s worked flawlessly with my old iPhone 7 Plus all this time but it may be it

I am having exactly the same issue

iPhone XS
2017 (MY2018) S5 Sportback.

I’m at the dealers next week so may ask them about the MMI update

Please do, it’s quite frustrating so would be good to know if they’re aware

Mine works wel XS Max. No issues at all

I was going to say maybe you’re having issues with the “charge gate” thing.

Have you updated your iPhone. There was a software update yesterday to fix the charging issue. 12.0.1

Phone has been updated to 12.0.1.
Issue with the layout of the Podcasts app has been fixed now, however, the phone still connect via CarPlay, then disconnects, then reconnects. This goes on for maybe 5-10 minutes and then seems to settle.