Apple CarPlay 2017 Model

Jon B

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been offered a good deal to buy my father in law’s 2017 A6 Avant S Line. The only negative I can see is that the MMI system is the same as my A4 B8.5, which whilst it does the job is looking increasingly dated.

I’ve done a bit of a google as it seems MY16 models onward were offered with optional CarPlay. Does anyone know what the process is to get it working if it wasn’t ticked as an option when new? Or a ballpark cost from Audi etc?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Does the car have tech pack option, or Basic RMC (SD Card) based navigation.

Hi,

Sorry I’m unsure. It will be whatever came as standard on the S Line model of that year with the smaller pop out screen.

Looks as if it is the RMC system then and you need the Tech Pack to be able to add Apple CarPlay

Thanks for the reply.

Shame - a quick google suggests it is pricey! Are there any aftermarket mods available to put CarPlay on the system?

I've got the tech pack, how would I enable Apple Car Play? Software only or hardware needed?

I've got the tech pack, how would I enable Apple Car Play? Software only or hardware needed?

If your Car is the facelift then software only. As above. Contact @DJAlix. He done mine.

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Yes its a 2018 facelift model. I've also got VCDS, anyone know what the enabler is? To be honest I thought there was a hardware requirement as the iPhone may need to be connected via USB in the arm rest by the wireless charger. But if not great! (Sorry if for the sight hijack of the thread but it is related!)

Yes its a 2018 facelift model. I've also got VCDS, anyone know what the enabler is? To be honest I thought there was a hardware requirement as the iPhone may need to be connected via USB in the arm rest by the wireless charger. But if not great! (Sorry if for the sight hijack of the thread but it is related!)
To use CarPlay you need to physically connect the phone via the USB port

If you have an MIB2 tech pack then I should be able to activate via software only. Pm me your reg and I can check.

The Audi Apple CarPlay via hardware option.... Youtube fitting an original Audi USB AppleCarPlay module.... to an A6 with TechPack MIB2.

Note the difference between the modules. The installed unit right hand USB port, it has phone icon. Mine is as per the unit on the left standard from the factory without CarPlay.
Screenshot 2020 06 05 at 172317