Apple Car play and a 2nd phone

1oldaudi

Reaction score
Apple Car Play problems

Has anyone experienced this before. I have two iPhones. One to be used for Spotify with Apple Car Play. The second to be used via Bluetooth for voice calls only.

I plug in the first iphone via the supplied cable and plugged into the USB under the arm rest. Apple Car play works and I can use my Spotify offline library. I then pair the 2nd phone via Bluetooth which works first time and I can see all my calls on both displays.

However, after pairing the 2nd phone the 1st phone is no longer recognised and the Apple Car Play option does not appear on the display. I reset the car and the phone and it does not appear. I plug in via USB cable my 2nd iphone (the voice only one) and the Apple car play shows on the display. It will not let me pair two phones how I wish. Is this normal?

I want my old iphone SE connected via Cable for Spotify only. Will not be used for any other call feature

My newer iPhone connected via Bluetooth at the same time to make and receive calls.

In addition I cannot get Google Maps to appear on the Apple Car play list of apps, I can only get the Apple Maps which are rubbish. Normal?

Thank you

Have you tried checking the connection manager to see how the connection is setup, I would also disable Bluetooth on the old phone so the system sees two discrete connections ... one via cable and the other via Bluetooth.

AFAIK if you connect one phone using CarPlay then the bluetooth connection is redundant

I have an iPhone (personal) and a POS work phone. Both can be connected via bluetooth, but if I plug in the iPhone under the armrest to activate CarPlay, the work phone can't be accessed

Thanks A4 SJC. This is what Im seeing too. I wanted one phone via Bluetooh for calls and one via cable for my music library. As you say, that cant happen. Not sure why. If I try to make a call it tells me that Car Play needs to be closed and appears to offer me the option to make a call from the Car Play iPhone now that its out of car play mode. Problem is there is no SIM in it, its just used for storage. Ah well first world problems. First car in 25 years that has ever had a car phone in it and Ive managed so far. Just a feature I wont use.

Thanks A4 SJC. This is what Im seeing too. I wanted one phone via Bluetooh for calls and one via cable for my music library. As you say, that cant happen. Not sure why. If I try to make a call it tells me that Car Play needs to be closed and appears to offer me the option to make a call from the Car Play iPhone now that its out of car play mode. Problem is there is no SIM in it, its just used for storage. Ah well first world problems. First car in 25 years that has ever had a car phone in it and Ive managed so far. Just a feature I wont use.
Can't you connect both by Bluetooth and use one for calls and one for music that way?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

You can play Spotify over Bluetooth, it doesn’t have the complete album track listing but does show the current track and you can track skip using the car controls. I never got on with CarPlay for this and a couple of other reasons so very rarely use it.

Reactions: 1oldaudi
I’ve now over come this problem by transferring my music to my main phone. I can then use this for Apple play and use the phone call feature with Siri from the phone app within Apple play. Probably a better solution than messing around with Bluetooth. First day off work today since I’ve had the car so I’m going to sit and look at all the menus later!!

You can access Siri from the steering wheel using a long press (short press is Audi voice command)..... helps to make CarPlay bearable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1oldaudi
This is interesting, I wonder how I'll get on. I have two iPhones (work and personal) and when the other half is in the car, she takes change of the music from her phone.

Would I be able to have one phone set up on MMI (for my work calls) and the other connected to Carplay for Podcasts. I assume connecting to Carplay locks out the phone screen...

Although I don't have the B9 yet........Still waiting..... with previous vehicles I would copy my music, including. spotify to SD card, USB or the car's internal hard drive. My wife who has very different music tastes to me, would have her music on her cards/usb. I found two phones were fiddly and didn't like the idea of carrying an extra phone around once leaving the car.

Would I be able to have one phone set up on MMI (for my work calls) and the other connected to Carplay for Podcasts. I assume connecting to Carplay locks out the phone screen...

In a word, no.
Connecting your phone using CarPlay doesn’t lock you to the CarPlay menu, you can still access the mmi but it does disable the car’s Bluetooth functionality completely, forcing you to use the CarPlay-connected phone’s telephone function via CarPlay - hopefully this makes sense.

I actually have a similar question to the OP, however I'd like my personal phone (which is Android) connected via Android Auto for all of my media, but would need my work iPhone connected to the bluetooth for phone calls.

Does anyone have any experience achieving this?

Also, ignoring Android Auto/Apple Carplay for a sec...does anyone know if the B9 supports connection to 2x bluetooth devices at the same time? So you'd be able to receive/make phone calls from either device as they'd be available simultaneously? I know that the Tiguan has this feature so wondering if it's made it's way over to any of the Audi's.

I have an android phone for work and an iPhone for private.
I have tried the Android Auto app (which I found less user friendly than CarPlay if that were possible!) and it didn’t seem to block the mmi Bluetooth operation for the second phone like it does the other way round (using CarPlay and trying to connect second phone via Bluetooth) but disliked it so much I removed the app from the android phone. Incidentally this didn’t stop the phone from trying to connect each time I plugged it in afterward, it has to be switched off in the mmi and the phone to stop Android Auto launching when you plug the phone in.
I think the two phone Bluetooth function only used to be available as part of the technology pack but that may have changed since mine (MY17).

Incidentally, this is probably one of those things that is dead easy to explain in a conversation but sounds very complicated/confusing when you’re having to write it down!

I have an android phone for work and an iPhone for private.
I have tried the Android Auto app (which I found less user friendly than CarPlay if that were possible!) and it didn’t seem to block the mmi Bluetooth operation for the second phone like it does the other way round (using CarPlay and trying to connect second phone via Bluetooth) but disliked it so much I removed the app from the android phone. Incidentally this didn’t stop the phone from trying to connect each time I plugged it in afterward, it has to be switched off in the mmi and the phone to stop Android Auto launching when you plug the phone in.
I think the two phone Bluetooth function only used to be available as part of the technology pack but that may have changed since mine (MY17).

Incidentally, this is probably one of those things that is dead easy to explain in a conversation but sounds very complicated/confusing when you’re having to write it down!
Haha I get what you mean but don't worry, it was crystal clear! Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll get it to work that way.

Incidentally, can I ask what you disliked about Android Auto?

You can play Spotify over Bluetooth, it doesn’t have the complete album track listing but does show the current track and you can track skip using the car controls. I never got on with CarPlay for this and a couple of other reasons so very rarely use it.
For anyone reading this thread who may be helped by this...I use Google Music and can confirm that the standard MMI Bluetooth audio interface pulls in all track data, album track listing and full playlists quite nicely.

Haha I get what you mean but don't worry, it was crystal clear! Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll get it to work that way.

Incidentally, can I ask what you disliked about Android Auto?

To be fair I didn’t really give it much of a chance as the S6 is just for work so don’t have any music apps installed, it just felt a little like a hacked program from the 90’s or one of the early android tv boxes - bit of a clunky interface.