Appears the 1.6 S-Line is now available, who's first in the queue?!!!!

cdb2

Reaction score
I see from the website price list that you can even order a 1.6 S-Line now!

Clearly a marketing plow to win more sales, sheep in wolf's clothing and all that!

Kind of cheapens the S-Line image imho. Removes the exclusivity from when it was only available on the more expensive\powerful cars in the range.

Used to be only available on the 3.2 and 2.0T DSG\Quattro, then made it available on the 2.0TDI and now the 1.6!!!!! The 1.6 petrol!!! A sell out of S-line values!!!

What next, an S-Line pedal go-kart!

Watch out for the unbadged S-Line with the single exhaust at the traffic lights! Though they'll probably make an option to weld a dummy second pipe on for £150, or perhaps I'm cynical! Then they'll be the Burberry Pack...... Slippery slope Audi........

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

The 2.0tdi was available before the 2.0T came out.

Does that mean that S-line drivers are some sort of elite class? That's not the reason why I choose to drive an Audi - leave the snobbery to the guys & girls from Bavaria.
p.s. Thanks for the suggestion for a Xmas pressie for the wife, how much are burberry baseball caps?

I wouldn't have said having a S-Line TDi would have cheapen the S-Line image, lets face it the TDi is more expensive than the 2.0T and nearly as expensive as the 3.2. My view is that the 3.2 should automatically be an S-Line. When you buy the top of the range car you shouldn't have to pay a premium for that option, and if you don't want it then make it a no cost option to remove /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

However I don't think they should make the S-Line available on the entry level cars. That cheapens down the Brand image.

If for whatever reason I was going for the 1.6 but wanted the S-line pkg, why the hell shouldn't I be able to get it? Exclusivity my @rse, we're not talking Ferrari Enzo or McLaren F1 here, we're talking about one of the largest volume car maunfacturing groups in the world here whose sole aim is to sell as many cars as possible to make the most cash, and they do that by trying to give the consumer what they want.
I have no problem with lower powered A3s being S-Line as long as they don't start sticking S3 or RS3 badges all over their 1.6 backsides. Just because it's not particularly fast doesn't mean they should be barred from having options because of some daft notion of exclusivity

Just my tuppence worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can see what cdb2 is saying, its like when climate control first came out it was an extra on the lower down models but came as standard on the higher models. But i cant really see the point of having an S-Line 1.6.... It will "look" nicer but at the end of the day its still a 1.6. Very riskey slope audi.....

personally, i can't see why they created S-line at all, apart from to add a few grand to each model. The options that you get for the money aren't too great either.

Are the seats the same as in an S / RS? no.
do they include the S / RS paint colour in the price? no
do they include S/RS wheels? no

IMO, they're just trying to put a sporty image into what would be a standard range of cars.

they've done the same with the A4 DTM - which has just cheapened the image of the RS4 (albeit only a limited run of them)

Audi's idea of the S-line has gone way-off, proved by the fact that they have to advertise "S-Line" at least once on each panel and interior item.

Audi should spend less time trying to think of optional extras and work on their fading reliability and reputation.

Personally I think S-Line blurs the line between the regular models and the S and RS models. I have no problems with a 1.6 with a body kit but don't think it should have all the S badges on it. Keep these for the proper S models and call the S-Line package something else.

[lets face it the TDi is more expensive than the 2.0T]

Eh? What you smoking?

I don't know so don't get me wrong, but why are my wheels called RS6 if they don't appear on a RS6?

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know so don't get me wrong, but why are my wheels called RS6 if they don't appear on a RS6?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, my bad. They sure are offering their flagship cars wheels with the S-Line package.

[ QUOTE ]
[lets face it the TDi is more expensive than the 2.0T]

Eh? What you smoking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Columbian, well I must have been to make that mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Think the point here is that initially the S-Line was 'exclusive' in that it was only available on higher end models with DSG\Quattro, since it has come down to lower models without DSG\Quattro and is now available on the whole range, even the super slow non sporty 1.6. Bit of a misnomer.

Just think it dilutes the image of the S-Line. There is no snobbery involved, it is just a bit of a misnomer and daft! However I can see the point in letting the consumer have whatever they want.

May be they should rename it a styling pack?

In my view if you have a quick\capable car, then it is justified in having a body kit. Putting it on lowly models in the range smacks Max Power wannabees.

Bit like putting an AMG styling pack on a C180, or even a C160 (as I see you can now get).

Theres nothing wrong with the 16 I would not say it is super slow. My wife has an A3 16 fsi sport which is very nice.

Who cares, my 3.2 Sport looked like a 1.6 sport.
Like someone said earlier, they're just shifting metal- that's all. All the makers do it.

LeMan - I hope the taxi doesn't rattle or have a bodykit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have said having a S-Line TDi would have cheapen the S-Line image, lets face it the TDi is more expensive than the 2.0T and nearly as expensive as the 3.2. My view is that the 3.2 should automatically be an S-Line. When you buy the top of the range car you shouldn't have to pay a premium for that option, and if you don't want it then make it a no cost option to remove /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

However I don't think they should make the S-Line available on the entry level cars. That cheapens down the Brand image.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sorry your wrong there, 2.0TFSI sport=£21.070, 2.0TDI sport=£20.085, it,s the same all the way through the various dsg's quattro's etc, the 2.0T is always about £1000 more than the TDI.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No sorry your wrong there, 2.0TFSI sport=£21.070, 2.0TDI sport=£20.085, it,s the same all the way through the various dsg's quattro's etc, the 2.0T is always about £1000 more than the TDI.

[/ QUOTE ]

John, you're a bit slow on the uptake, check about 10 posts previous and you will notice that I already admitted my mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If for whatever reason I was going for the 1.6 but wanted the S-line pkg, why the hell shouldn't I be able to get it? Exclusivity my @rse, we're not talking Ferrari Enzo or McLaren F1 here, we're talking about one of the largest volume car maunfacturing groups in the world here whose sole aim is to sell as many cars as possible to make the most cash, and they do that by trying to give the consumer what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said. Additions to cars like S-Line have been around for decades. Ford were offering RS bodystyling years ago if you wanted to spend the money.

It's all about personal taste, and people understandably do like their cars to look sporty - which is where the S-Line range comes in. I can understand why someone with a 3.2 S-Line would feel agrieved if they saw a similar model with an engine inside it half the size of theirs, but if exclusivity is all you crave, you shouldn't buy an A3.

II agree with that - the S-Line idea just enables Audi to shift more metal.

The 1.6 wouldn't be THAT bad would it?