AP Racing brake kit turning black?

boggysv

Reaction score
Hello,

Not sure if there are still any familiar faces around, havent been browsing AS alot. Mainly due to the new workload, new beloved (or not), and possibly the new website theme which i find quite hard to get used to.

Anyways, my AP BBK on the S3 is turning black on some parts, a sort of burnt black, and it cannot be rubbed off. This happened after my last trackday. Crappy phone pics as attached.
28112010097-Copy.jpg

28112010098-Copy.jpg

I'm aware of the stock brembos having its color fade on hard driven EVOs and Integras, but this is nothing like it. It is actually turned BLACK, while the red parts are still quite "fresh" looking.

Any clues? or similar encounters?

IMG_8491.jpg

BTW, one of the track pics (sepang, malaysia), this car is just brilliant, not in a super fast sort of way, but that it is so easy to drive.
My girlfriend who had her first track experience managed to keep an S2000 behind her for 2 laps, overtook a VW r32, numerous "modded" GTIs (except some really fast ones), and basically kept a good pace that they are considering to move her up from the newbie group.

I wouldn't worry....you've just got them properly hot at some stage during the trackday.

Yea, I managed to boil the fluid during the final session. That's my fault though, as I have not performed a full flush since january. Dont think it's a pad or disc overheating issue as the pedal just went soft and I had to pump it multiple times to even slow down. Scared the nuts out of me.

sepang has got two long straights back to back where you have to brake from about 190kmh (indicated) to a 2nd gear corner (cant remember speed as was busy getting the exit right), brake killers for heavy cars imho.

But then again, it really does look different from the other overheated calipers. All the other cars around have got faded calipers, but mine is the only one actually turning burnt black, and only at certain spots.

I see what you mean,but I would think that being the areas with the least amount of metal around them,plus their position,you've basically burnt the paint....if you've managed to boil the fluid,that's a good indicator of how hard you've worked them,and maybe worth looking at a better spec fluid.