AP Coilovers Question

yeahhluke

Reaction score
Im going to be purchasing a set of AP coilovers on friday, but just looking at the demontweeks website now, there are 2 different typs? Can anyone assist on which ones I will need for my car.Its a 56 plate 3 door 2.0tdi 170 Sline 2WD, I know the strut diameter is 55mm, but on these it states different axle weights.Motorsport, Motorcycle & Car Equipment, Accessories, Tuning & Clothing | Sparco, Alpinestars, Arai, Recaro, OMP - Demon Tweeks "Includes Sportback, for vehicles with 55mm diameter strut with a front axle weight up to 1060kg"and these..Motorsport, Motorcycle & Car Equipment, Accessories, Tuning & Clothing | Sparco, Alpinestars, Arai, Recaro, OMP - Demon Tweeks "Includes Sportback, for vehicles with strut diameter of 55mm and front axle weight ranging between 1061-1170kg"Thanks in advance

Give Damian@dpm a site sponsor a shout, he will hook you up no worries

I just fitted AP's on mine all the way down and have to say it's about the best you go yet being practical. Other then AP's FK's are the only ones within the same price range that go much lower however the quality of AP's is outstanding.

Gone from VMAXX To some cheapo JOM's from Damian, and i have to say i cannot tell a difference in comfort ( they are just as good )

It is still early days but £185 and a 2year warrenty, im chuffed!

Got adjuster in on back ( fully compressed ) and its sat just below tyre, fronts are all way down and sat ever so slightly below tyre.

Will update with pics if you are intrested?

Slight hijack - but - do any of these ride better than standard Sport suspension?

Gone from VMAXX To some cheapo JOM's from Damian, and i have to say i cannot tell a difference in comfort ( they are just as good ) It is still early days but £185 and a 2year warrenty, im chuffed! Got adjuster in on back ( fully compressed ) and its sat just below tyre, fronts are all way down and sat ever so slightly below tyre.Will update with pics if you are intrested?
Have you got pics of the Vmaxx and the JOMs?Any other pics of how low otheres go wouldnt go a miss either

Would be very interested in any input anyone has bout the APs too actually. They seem to be made by KW?

Hi,

I've been running AP's on my A3 for the best part of 4 years, driven on every day and the car covers nearly 1000 miles a month.

The fronts have been wound a few threads from the bottom and apart from an iffy top mount all has been well...

I'm not sure if APs are going too be low enough for me now, any other suggestions?

AP's, Weitec and KW's all go as low as one another 65mm max if it's daily drive this is the lowest you could go. If you want more lows it's vmaxx which I think is only 10mm more the. AP's or FK's which tend to go as low as bags (75 Rear /100mm Front).

...and most importantly H&R ultralows which truly go as low as bags. There's two sets for sale on ed38. Also miles better than FK's

Reactions: TommyH88 and S3_Mat
Just realise my car has AP coilovers. I want to lower it this weekend and I've got 18" Fat Five wheels. What's peoples comfort experiences of dropping these as low as they go?

I've got them as low as they go and I'm on RS6's which are about the same size as fat fives. In terms of ride quality and comfort I rate them full house, much better then standard sport suspension or even when I had H&R springs.

Reactions: Westy
I've got them as low as they go and I'm on RS6's which are about the same size as fat fives. In terms of ride quality and comfort I rate them full house, much better then standard sport suspension or even when I had H&R springs.

Thanks for the info. Did you find te car sits level with all 4 coils dropped I the bottom or did you have to raise front/back to level it? Also how are speed bumps?

Thanks for the info. Did you find te car sits level with all 4 coils dropped I the bottom or did you have to raise front/back to level it? Also how are speed bumps?

To be exact my wheels are 18" 8J ET43 with 225/40 tyres, in terms of bumps no problem at all of course you have to go slow on them but nothing that would slow traffic down or **** anybody off!

The back seems to be lower meaning front yet has a bit of arch gap but when you look at the car the front is actually lower then the back hence I think it's the reason why people take their adjuster out from the back to level it. But I wouldn't do that as already it's lowest height for practicality and everyday use.

Just realise my car has AP coilovers. I want to lower it this weekend and I've got 18" Fat Five wheels. What's peoples comfort experiences of dropping these as low as they go?

Jesus, what happened to the s3? I remember seeing it when I was over in the 8L section.

Basically, take a look at my progress thread. Mines on fat fives and AP's. Not one complaint from me!

Jesus, what happened to the s3? I remember seeing it when I was over in the 8L section.

Basically, take a look at my progress thread. Mines on fat fives and AP's. Not one complaint from me!

I needed something a bit more economic so had a little swap with another ASN member for the TDI I now have. Only had it 2 weeks so I'll get a thread going at some point.

I'll take a look at your thread. Thanks for the info guys.

Reactions: smurfworth
I needed something a bit more economic so had a little swap with another ASN member for the TDI I now have. Only had it 2 weeks so I'll get a thread going at some point.

I'll take a look at your thread. Thanks for the info guys.

You definitely need that thread up, not many of them over in the 8p section. 8L section is much better for build threads. I look forward to seeing pics.