AP Coilover Peeps

leeds2592

When I grow up, I want a 964!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's thousands of threads on coilovers but I've been researching for hours and my head hurts now :think:. Think I've finally made my mind up but looking for a bit of reassurance I'm going to be making the right choice.

If you have AP coilovers or have used them in the past, how do you rate them? And, would you recommend them over other coilovers in sub £500 such as the FK Sport Edition Plus coillies?

Thanks in advance,
Ethan

Hi mate,

I am using AP Coilovers at the moment, only had them fitted on Saturday and they are amazing, feel so good and handle well too. They are made by KW so the build quality is superb. Alot better than my standard suspension.

131.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

We had a group buy of them with 5 other guys and got them for £400 each inc delivery saving about £100, GRP on here set it up, such an awesome guy

Hope this helps

Bailey

Reactions: gussyldr
Quick question about them Bailey if you don't mind, are the adjusters on the rears on top of the spring or at the bottom? Reason for asking is I should be getting a set in the next few days and I've seen the FK highsports and the adjusters sat at the bottom which was impossible to adjust while they were on the car, which isn't ideal to say the least.

Quick question about them Bailey if you don't mind, are the adjusters on the rears on top of the spring or at the bottom? Reason for asking is I should be getting a set in the next few days and I've seen the FK highsports and the adjusters sat at the bottom which was impossible to adjust while they were on the car, which isn't ideal to say the least.

Hi there,

Being perfectly honest I am not sure if the adjusters are on the top or bottom, I had them fitted professionally by Midland VW. However i do have a pic of them here before they went on the car if that helps you.

IMG_1110.jpg

Bailey

I have the more expensive fk ones (can't remember what they are called but they have koni top mount ride adjust on them) as they fitted the bill perfectly as they drop to 100mm so more flexibility in my eyes.

However I used to run ap coilovers on my previous car (mk 4 golf) and the quality was fantastic for a so called budget brand.

To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with the ap as I have heard nothing but good things about them and I liked them myself a great deal.

Thanks

I have these coilovers fitted to my sportback. I think the handling is great but do find them a bit bouncy does anyone else think this??? It's wound down all the way on the back and 3 twists left on the front.. Let me know what you guy think!!

I'm running AP's too, after hearing many great comments on the forum about them.
Personally very happy indeed, and the ride feels more comfortable then the standard s-line suspension.
Getting a bit of rubbing on the arches running 18's with 10mm spacers, so may may have to lose the spacers.

George

I'm running AP's too, after hearing many great comments on the forum about them.
Personally very happy indeed, and the ride feels more comfortable then the standard s-line suspension.
Getting a bit of rubbing on the arches running 18's with 10mm spacers, so may may have to lose the spacers.

George

How far down have you lowered it?

I would be very interested in a group buy for some ap's. Im new to the site though, how would i go about starting a group buy?

I would be very interested in a group buy for some ap's. Im new to the site though, how would i go about starting a group buy?

1) Request permission to run a group buy from site administrators
2) If accepted approach forum sponsor suppliers to get prices / options (best prices usually in increments of 5 or 10)
3) When best price found set up a thread in group buy section
4) Get all involved in group buy to make a deposit or full payments to ensure sponsor is not messed around (show commitment)
5) Get your coilovers and roll hard!

Thanks, maybe use this thread to drum up some intrest first.

How far down have you lowered it?

About 35mm lower then the standard s-line suspension.
I organised the last group buy, where we had 5 members all wanting AP's which we got for £400 delivered with Mike@AwesomeGTi.
I contacted the forum admins as suggested by Warren_S3 as was told it was against forum rules otherwise, but they never responded!

Reactions: chris1988brown
I've had AP coilovers fitted for over a year now & have been very pleased. I had them fitted to my R32 too. Mine are pretty much all the way down. Have a few issues in multi story car parks & can't straddle speed humps so have to go over them fully with 1 wheel. Handling is great though & they are well dampened on country roads.
IMG_7716_zps0bac5f34.jpg

What is it like on multi storey car parks? I have not had the pleasure of going on one yet.

My front bumper did rub on the road though today for the first time coming off my mates drive :(

Bailey

What is it like on multi storey car parks? I have not had the pleasure of going on one yet.

My front bumper did rub on the road though today for the first time coming off my mates drive :(

Bailey

NCP car parks tend to be very steep as you go up the levels. I have to literally stop and creep up & it just catches. Don't ever come back down at any speed unless you want to leave your bumper behind!! Some of the others are fine as the slopes are more gradual, it's mainly the NCP in the city where I live that's a nightmare.

Took the plunge and bought some AP's from DPM.

Can't wait for them to be delivered now!

Reactions: GNJ_Motorsport
Just been doing a bit of research, whilst I should be working, and I've got a couple of questions for when I actually get the coilovers on the car. No point in making a new thread really.

How long after fitting should I leave it before getting the wheel alignment done? Straight away or should I let them settle for a few weeks?

For now I'm going to be running 18" wheels ET54, may get some spacers in the future but they aren't a priority atm. Don't really understand a lot about toe and camber but what should I be looking at getting on the fronts and rears?

Info003.jpg

Apologies, that's not hugely readable, so until I can get a better scan it might be worth reading some of this: Wheel Alignment Terms

Last edited:
Cheers for that mate, very informative.

So what sort of camber should I be looking to get? I've read somewhere that for road driving it should be -1,7/-2.2 Front and -1,5 Rear, is this correct?

Thanks

Cheers for that mate, very informative.

So what sort of camber should I be looking to get? I've read somewhere that for road driving it should be -1,7/-2.2 Front and -1,5 Rear, is this correct?

Thanks

Off the top of my head I don't know. APS in Brackley does my car with a 4 wheel alignment system. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes, improves handling, saves tyres and decreases braking distances in wet weather. Highly recommended. I'll see if I can get hold of some numbers.

That actually sounds like a lot of camber for the road, especially on the front...

By my calcs it would mean that the top of the wheel would be pulled in by 6.5-9.1mm so would need spacers to make it look normal again! Haha. I'm getting my AP's fitted tonight so I'll get some pics and let you know how it goes. :)

Cheers for the help lads!

I've been fobbed off with a half ***** job on my old car due to lack of knowledge, don't want the same to happen again (I won't be taking it to the same garage btw).

Cheers for the help lads!

I've been fobbed off with a half ***** job on my old car due to lack of knowledge, don't want the same to happen again (I won't be taking it to the same garage btw).

Good shout. I think that you've made the right choice with the AP's as well, I was told that these are just KW V1's but unter a different name and with different colours so we shall see later tonight! :)

I'm happy I went with the AP's, as you say they seem good for the dollar.

Any recommendations on alignment settings side of things matey?

Sorry, I meant what sort of settings should I be asking for when I go?

I've been looking through loads of threads and I'm even more confused. A couple of people have said that either the camber on the rear isn't adjustable unless you fit something from a TT, if that makes sense?

Just an update for you mate, had the APs fitted last night. :)

The ride is as good if not better than the S-Line stuff that was on it before, I was amazed I wasn't bouncing all over the road. In the corners it feels more planted and has reduced body roll as well. For the write up I've done a wee one with photos in the A4 section.

All in I would definitely recommend them! Quality and finish looks brilliant so we shall see how they last. :)

Sorry, I meant what sort of settings should I be asking for when I go?

I've been looking through loads of threads and I'm even more confused. A couple of people have said that either the camber on the rear isn't adjustable unless you fit something from a TT, if that makes sense?

No, thats the front ;)

Is there a mod so you can have the camber adjusted on the front...

are people running the AP coilovers (£483) or the AP X coliovers? (£709) looking at picking some up myself from the comments on here and i know KW are a great brand.

I'm looking at getting a set of AP's in the next few days, I've found if you buy em direct from AP you can get em for £453,
If there's a few more that are looking at getting a set, could look at getting a group buy going?

are people running the AP coilovers (£483) or the AP X coliovers? (£709) looking at picking some up myself from the comments on here and i know KW are a great brand.

Think most people are running the cheaper AP coilovers.

Mine arrived last week from DPM (Fantastic service BTW!) and getting them fitted next week at some point. Can't wait!!

Not got them fitted yet sadly, however I'm getting some new pads fitted to my car next week but when I asked the garage about a price for the coilovers fitting as well, he stated that I'm looking at a couple of hundred quid plus VAT.

I've now asked him to confirm an exact price but if he comes back with a daft price then I'm going to take it elsewhere.

Is there anyone that can recommend a garage around the Leeds/West Yorkshire area?

Hey guys!! for me I would have to recommend the AP range :D good kits and reasonable money!

We tend to have a wide range in stock of them too, plus I would be more than happy to beat pretty much any price given from anywhere else!

Send me a PM if I can help! :D

Always happy to help!

Awesome Mike