Anything missing from my spec?

No reason you can't tell it what route to take and still have it do it for you. Modern airliners pretty much do this all the time - the pilet just gives it instructions on which route to take and the plane can fly itself, and land itself at the other end as well. It's not new technology, and it will happen for cars, and I don't think all that far away either.

I would still much prefer to drive the car myself just using the driver aids that are current. It would be very boring just to sit there are let the car do all the work. it might work on motorways but on all the small country lanes. I think not. Aircraft don't fly along country lanes but along very wide and deep air corridors. Anyway it would take away one of my favourite hobbies so there is no way I would buy one!!

Who would man (sorry person!) the traffic control system that would be required the same as it is for aircraft. How would my friends very old Morris Minor cope! When and if it does happen I will not be around to see it. If I am I certainly will not be buying one nor I suspect will a lot of other people. It will like DAB radio all over again. Supposedly wonderful system that is no better than the present FM system in many areas and therefore only less than a third of the population will buy one.

Last edited:
I would still much prefer to drive the car myself just using the driver aids that are current. It would be very boring just to sit there are let the car do all the work. it might work on motorways but on all the small country lanes. I think not. Aircraft don't fly along country lanes but along very wide and deep air corridors. Anyway it would take away one of my favourite hobbies so there is no way I would buy one!!

That's what I said - driving will be a hobby activity in the future, while commuting and travelling will be done with driverless vehicles. Seeing as every car spends 96% of the time doing nothing in Britain (ie, not driving), it's not going to make sense to own a car either. You'll just call one up when you need it, it'll take you where you need to go, job done. I think owning a car is going to be seen as a 'quaint' thing in the future, or for hobbyists only. Can go a lot faster as well safely when things are controlled by a computer.

Ultimately, I don't think the future of transportation in this country is going to depend much on the fact that you enjoy driving!

As for ATC... well they do say the job of ATC is to bring planes close enough together to necessitate themselves to make things safe...

That's what I said - driving will be a hobby activity in the future, while commuting and travelling will be done with driverless vehicles. Seeing as every car spends 96% of the time doing nothing in Britain (ie, not driving), it's not going to make sense to own a car either. You'll just call one up when you need it, it'll take you where you need to go, job done. I think owning a car is going to be seen as a 'quaint' thing in the future, or for hobbyists only. Can go a lot faster as well safely when things are controlled by a computer.

Ultimately, I don't think the future of transportation in this country is going to depend much on the fact that you enjoy driving!

As for ATC... well they do say the job of ATC is to bring planes close enough together to necessitate themselves to make things safe...

But my hobby is driving on roads not tracks. Let all those who want to travel by computer controlled cars do so and leave the normal roads to those who enjoy driving on them. Perhaps we should have mini aircraft or helicopters to deliver people who work to the place of work ever morning and home again every evening. There again perhaps all their work could be done by computer controlled robots then they could stay in bed all day. We cannot even stop modern trains from crashing and braking down or the infrastructure from failing when the wind blows so what chance do we have for all cars to be computer controlled.

Like I said though, the future of transport isn't going to depend on your preferences unfortunately. It's the sensible way to go at the end of the day.

Note what happened in the train crashes... human error on the bit of the line that wasn't automatically braked. That's quite telling!

My personal view is that if I'm using the brakes except when coming to a stop, I'm driving too close to the car in front of me. Brakes are for stopping, not for avoiding a collision because you are driving badly.

Reactions: cuke2u
The No's I would swap out for: Rear Camera, Upgrade Sound System. IMHO.

Yes, Monsoon Grey
No, Electric folding mirrors
Yes, Hill hold assist
No, Tyre pressure loss indicator
No, Aluminium roof rails
Yes, Comfort pack
Yes, Audi parking system plus
Yes, standard SE suspension
Yes, Interior lighting package
? High beam assist - not sure you can have this with the Xenon's though

Like I said though, the future of transport isn't going to depend on your preferences unfortunately. It's the sensible way to go at the end of the day.

Note what happened in the train crashes... human error on the bit of the line that wasn't automatically braked. That's quite telling!

It will not happen in my lifetime. What happens after that I don't really care.

Hi all,

Just about to order an S Line A3 Sportsback and just wanted some reassurance on my spec to ensure I'm not missing out on anything essential.

Monsoon Grey
Electric folding mirrors
Hill hold assist
Tyre pressure loss indicator
Aluminium roof rails
Comfort pack
Audi parking system plus
standard SE suspension
Interior lighting package
High beam assist - not sure you can have this with the Xenon's though

I can't really afford any sound system upgrades and can easily add the sat nav later if I wanted too. My only dilemma is whether to go for the upgraded Xenon plus headlights?

Grateful for any feedback on the above spec.

Cheers

Thanks for all the feedback on my spec and great to read the lively debate on the automation of our cars.

Some of you queried the need for the folding mirrors and parking system plus on my spec. These are pretty much essential for me as I live in a new house with a tiny carport to navigate when parking. The brick pillars either side are very narrow and the parking aids will assist greatly.

Still think I will go with the standard SE suspension. The Sports suspension on my A1 is a little firm in the local roads I will be travelling on regularly.

Not that concerned about the stereo upgrade, more of a desirable and should really reign in my spending on upgrades. Same too for the upgraded Zenon's. I have never had Zenon's before, so the standard will be a step up from anything I have had before.

I appreciate the roof bars are subjective, but I like them on the Sportsback.

My main dilemma is still the colour. I like the Monsoon Grey in the pictures I have seen, but I haven't seen it in real life. My A1 is a Scuba Blue, but I want a change this time. I hope I have made the right decision.

I have managed to negotiate just over £2000 off the car, so fairly pleased with the deal agreed.

Thanks again for all your input. Merry Christmas to you all.

There are a lot of Monsoon S3 around and whilst it's not a bad colour in my opinion it does seem a bit wishy washy.

Thanks for all the feedback on my spec and great to read the lively debate on the automation of our cars.

Some of you queried the need for the folding mirrors and parking system plus on my spec. These are pretty much essential for me as I live in a new house with a tiny carport to navigate when parking. The brick pillars either side are very narrow and the parking aids will assist greatly.

Still think I will go with the standard SE suspension. The Sports suspension on my A1 is a little firm in the local roads I will be travelling on regularly.

Not that concerned about the stereo upgrade, more of a desirable and should really reign in my spending on upgrades. Same too for the upgraded Zenon's. I have never had Zenon's before, so the standard will be a step up from anything I have had before.

I appreciate the roof bars are subjective, but I like them on the Sportsback.

My main dilemma is still the colour. I like the Monsoon Grey in the pictures I have seen, but I haven't seen it in real life. My A1 is a Scuba Blue, but I want a change this time. I hope I have made the right decision.

I have managed to negotiate just over £2000 off the car, so fairly pleased with the deal agreed.

Thanks again for all your input. Merry Christmas to you all.

If it's an S-line A3 you are going for then Daytona Grey is the one you want, far nicer than Monsoon and the same cost!
But be very careful when ordering as Dakota grey is also an option and that looks brown.

DAYTONA is defo the one to go for in my opinion.

Reactions: driver_tim, Daveotto and PilotAudi
Another (biased) vote for Daytona, although I have to say Scuba Blue was my second choice. One of the main reasons I didn't go for it was that would have been my fourth blue car in a row!

Daytona is nice.. Had it on A7 BE but not so sure on A3 (better than monsoon though IMHO )

Reckon the A3 size suits Black but hey it's all personal taste.

Daytona is nice.. Had it on A7 BE but not so sure on A3 (better than monsoon though IMHO )

Reckon the A3 size suits Black but hey it's all personal taste.

The delights of personal preference.......My 8P A3 was phantom black and I thought it was the ideal colour but it just did not seem right for me on the 8V whereas Daytona IMO looks the dogs.

The delights of personal preference.......My 8P A3 was phantom black and I thought it was the ideal colour but it just did not seem right for me on the 8V whereas Daytona IMO looks the dogs.

No Daytona option on S3 guess I'll put up with PB again. ;-)

Hi all,

Just about to order an S Line A3 Sportsback and just wanted some reassurance on my spec to ensure I'm not missing out on anything essential.

Monsoon Grey
Electric folding mirrors
Hill hold assist
Tyre pressure loss indicator
Aluminium roof rails
Comfort pack
Audi parking system plus
standard SE suspension
Interior lighting package
High beam assist - not sure you can have this with the Xenon's though

I can't really afford any sound system upgrades and can easily add the sat nav later if I wanted too. My only dilemma is whether to go for the upgraded Xenon plus headlights?

Grateful for any feedback on the above spec.

Cheers

Nice spec, most things covered, The xenon light that come as standard are Amazing, no need to add anything the them.
Hold assist is great for the money, just works, you get used to it very quickly, it just seams common sense.
Interior light pack is cool, but also surprisingly handy at night.
Folding mirrors good for parking in towns and tight spaces.
I would recommend the Audi upgraded sounds system for extra £255 but is a luxury.
The only thing I would disagree with is SE suspension on an S Line, middle sports suspension is comfy and fun. SE will look wrong with the side skirts and bumper kits on an S line (not so bad without the s line kit)
I would test a car on sports set up first because unless less you hate the sports suspension which I would be amazed if you do as it is great all round and in no way uncomfy, it will a big compromise on an s line to have SE set up, only person who had SE on an S line on this forum i have seen in last 6 months really regretted it because although SE ride was fine (he hadn't tested the sports set up) he thought it had spoiled the looks.

Nice spec, most things covered, The xenon light that come as standard are Amazing, no need to add anything the them.
Hold assist is great for the money, just works, you get used to it very quickly, it just seams common sense.
Interior light pack is cool, but also surprisingly handy at night.
Folding mirrors good for parking in towns and tight spaces.
I would recommend the Audi upgraded sounds system for extra £255 but is a luxury.
The only thing I would disagree with is SE suspension on an S Line, middle sports suspension is comfy and fun. SE will look wrong with the side skirts and bumper kits on an S line (not so bad without the s line kit)
I would test a car on sports set up first because unless less you hate the sports suspension which I would be amazed if you do as it is great all round and in no way uncomfy, it will a big compromise on an s line to have SE set up, only person who had SE on an S line on this forum i have seen in last 6 months really regretted it because although SE ride was fine (he hadn't tested the sports set up) he thought it had spoiled the looks.

Just for balance, I am now your 2nd person with an S-line and SE set up. But I think it hardly affects the looks at all and I love that it gives a really smooth ride and doesn't seem to affect the handling at all.

I think I will stick with the SE suspension set up thanks - the A1 sports suspension on my current card is fairly hard going on the roads I will be using daily.

I'm also considering changing my colour to Ice Silver. I saw one at Derby Audi that I liked the look off.

Sline

Attachments

• DSC06431.jpg
    DSC06431.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Mr Fusion
I think I will stick with the SE suspension set up thanks - the A1 sports suspension on my current card is fairly hard going on the roads I will be using daily.

I'm also considering changing my colour to Ice Silver. I saw one at Derby Audi that I liked the look off.

The Ice Silver with the polished alloys and aluminium roof rails looks great. Subtle in a smart way. Audis have always looked good in Silver.

Bit dated these days and very difficult to repair well. I quite like silver but would never buy one!

Bit dated these days and very difficult to repair well. I quite like silver but would never buy one!

Certainly not common like Black and White. Much easier to keep clean and any proper Audi approved body repair shop should have no difficulty in repairing. They made a good job of one of my earlier Silver A3s when someone went into the back.

Talk to Mon Motors or Heritage and they will confirm silver is a pita. Panel gaps show badly and colour match can be problematic.

Silver gets as dirty as any other colour. As a colour it is favoured by older drivers I am told so maybe a Specsavers issue ;-)

Silver gets as dirty as any other colour. As a colour it is favoured by older drivers I am told so maybe a Specsavers issue ;-)

Perhaps older drivers are better at making their own decisions and not so bothered about following the current fashion....
Nearly every new A3 I've seen on the road has been Black or White and when I was at my dealers the other day the second-hand car area was full of Black or White cars of all types.
The cars that look the worst on the road when the road a mucky and white ones, closely followed by black ones. Black is the worst possible colour to keep looking good. It's the ideal colour for drivers who prefer cleaning their car to driving it. I've had both a Black and a White one in the past when the were not so common as now and I certainly would never have another one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGS
dizzyheights looks nice in silver, so are you about ready to lock the order in?

You mention your A1 sport suspension is pretty hard, I have moved from an A1 Sline to a S3 and the suspension is so much nicer. I think its just the slightly bigger car and a few omponents are better made to absord the feeling of the bumps. I am certainly not saying its not firmer suspension from the A1 sline to the S3 but I dont notice the bumps with noise and impact as much. The obvious flip side is the SE suspension might be really comfy and not lose to much ability in corners.

I think there are many Fad colours that hang on rather longer than maybe they should. Anyone remember these. Le Mans Green, harvest gold, Mirage, Russet Brown AKA Gusset.
I prefer cars in the range of silver to black colours or nice blues aka Audi Deep Sea Blue, Estoril or Sepang.
Whilst not disliking silver although it may give the perception of keeping clean it is not a practical colour. Panel gaps are clearly evident and repairs difficult to conceal effectively. Take a look at older Mark V Golfs .

dizzyheights looks nice in silver, so are you about ready to lock the order in?

You mention your A1 sport suspension is pretty hard, I have moved from an A1 Sline to a S3 and the suspension is so much nicer. I think its just the slightly bigger car and a few omponents are better made to absord the feeling of the bumps. I am certainly not saying its not firmer suspension from the A1 sline to the S3 but I dont notice the bumps with noise and impact as much. The obvious flip side is the SE suspension might be really comfy and not lose to much ability in corners.

Yes, looking to lock the order down today. Will probably still settle for the SE suspension, but will take a look at the photos of the suspenson set ups agan just to be sure.

Cheers

I love the look of the silver - trick is to not have to have any paint done on it, but i can confirm it is a right PITA if you do have a problem (I had a reflex silver Mk4 Golf and did some work on the passenger door sill, a nightmare!).

If it's a PCP and not a long termer then just go for it as you'll probably be on to something else in a few years anyway. Life is too short.

Reactions: J6YAK
Silver is a PITA and I agree with ITman it's OK until you have to do work on it. Often this is unavoidable given some of the muppets around.

After an experience with a dealer on the South Coast no silver for us ever again. We bought our daughter a 4 year old Golf VAG approved for her 21st/Graduation present. Looked good apart from a minor scuff on door/rear wheel arch.. well they promised to do prior to collection. Car went back 4 times and eventually replaced with a Black one. Colour match issues, panel gap problems etc etc. Eventually got another dealer bodyshop to do a report and on threat of going to VW direct they swapped. Absolutely shambolic and I have subsequently learned a lot about silver cars and whilst love the look I am not having one EVER.

Reactions: Itguy
Ouch.

It is a miracle that any body shop can match and make any colour even remotely resemble the initial paint to be honest. Have you seen the video of the factory paint process on the audi website? Programmed robots to lay the fleck in a certain direction etc etc.

God I hope I will never need work on my panther black !

Silver is a PITA and I agree with ITman it's OK until you have to do work on it. Often this is unavoidable given some of the muppets around.

After an experience with a dealer on the South Coast no silver for us ever again. We bought our daughter a 4 year old Golf VAG approved for her 21st/Graduation present. Looked good apart from a minor scuff on door/rear wheel arch.. well they promised to do prior to collection. Car went back 4 times and eventually replaced with a Black one. Colour match issues, panel gap problems etc etc. Eventually got another dealer bodyshop to do a report and on threat of going to VW direct they swapped. Absolutely shambolic and I have subsequently learned a lot about silver cars and whilst love the look I am not having one EVER.

I suppose a lot depends on the body shop that does the work. I have only ever had to have work done on two cars and they were both silver and the body shop that did the work made an excellent job first time. That particular body shop used to belong to the local Group that has a number of Audi/VW/Skoda dealers in this area. They have now sold it to another company that has several other body shops in the area. It is the sign of a good body shop that can match and blend colours well.

Having owned a black Golf way back in 1976 to which I had polished Wolfrace wheels fitted it did really look good, when it was just cleaned. But using it for work including visiting building sites it did not stay that way for long and it was always a nightmare to clean. After that I had two red and one silver Golf GTIs and they were much easier to clean. Then I had four several Audi 80/90s one silver, one white, one red and one dark grey followed by another silver Golf but this time a VR6. I sold that in 1998 and since then I have has eight A3s and they have all been silver, a colour I really like and think suits the A3 very well and is also very easy to wash and keep looking good. It's a good job really because now, with the problems I have with my legs and bending down, my car has to go through a car wash to be cleaned. Fortunately I have a good one nearby where it is jet-washed by-hand before it moves through the washing and drying area. It actually makes an excellent job including getting rid of every trace of brake dust on the wheels and all I have to do is wipe the glass areas.

Colours are one of the things where some people like one colour and others another which is a good thing otherwise we would all be back in the times when every car on the road was black.

The Silver Golf was painted badly several times by a VW Main Dealer Bodyshop in WsM. They had at least 4 attempts to do a proper job and just made things worse.

My local VW/Audi Bodyshop is brilliant and confirmed the issues with Silver. I respect their views!

Just take a look at Silver cars, they show all the panel gaps which will accentuate poor alignment and colour mismatch.. there is a limit to how far you can bend in!!

If I could guarantee no need for paintwork silver looks good BUT>>>> That's a big BUT by the way!