Anyone used astroturf?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Anyone on here astroturfed their garden?
Saw it at a children's nursery we visited last week.
Looked for all the world like neatly cut natural grass.
They did it because their natural grass was ******.
Pretty amazing stuff.
Seriously thinking about it for at least one of the gardens.
Life's too short to cut grass.:keule:
I don't need links to companies who did, thanks, just interested to see if anyone's actually done it.

My work collegue looked at it... he has 2 kids under 6. Seemed like a nice setup and everything he had planned... some wild colours involved in it too... but at the end of the day the only thing wrong was the cost as it certainly wasnt cheap.

I love me grass too much to have astroturf tho.. but I can understand why someone does it.

Astro turf would cost a small fortune to install. But the thought of never having to cut grass again is very appealing :yes:.

I'm thinking of shrinkwrapping my carpets as well, fed up with hoovering.....

ive used it for a client in the past but the cost for the general public, makes it virtually non-cost effective.

its ok for commercial use, where you charge people to use it , like plays areas/football pitches etc, where you can the recoup the cost back.

if your grass is growing to fast and your having to mow it to often would make more sense to replace the turf for a slower growing variety, probably a fescue based one

lottie try training you dog to pee in one spot, then that spot could be an area of sand etc then dont have problem with losing your lawn, i trained my late dog to do this it takes abit of time but maybe worth it

I've seen at a trade show a astroturf equivalent for domestic use, and is very very good indeed. They had a number of different types, different shades and different lengths.

Was easy to install, just pin it to the ground and then a 'spinkle' of sand to cover the pin heads. The feel was very soft and 'grass like', but again as above, the cost was just too much. Imagine the envy from your neighbiours having rich looking gardens in the summer with a hose-pipe ban on !!

Imagine the confusion on their faces in the middle of winter when it looks exactly the same :)

i think it depends on how much value you put on your time. for example if the astro turf costs £50 a square meter and you need 10m2 then thats £500, but then the cost of a lawn mower and your time every ever week in the summer, vs the life of the turf?

If you've only got a 10m2 lawn, you could mow it in a matter of seconds!
Our lawn is roughly 120m2, which equates to £3k according to www.astro-turf.net.
For that sort of money just pay someone to look after it. You can returf it every year for about £300.

Our lawn is roughly 120m2, which equates to £3k according to www.astro-turf.net.
For that sort of money just pay someone to look after it. You can returf it every year for about £300.

i was just using it as an example not really looking that much into it, but 3k is a lot of lawn mowers and hours cutting it.

but if your time is worth say £50 else where then thats only 60 cuts worth of time on 3k

i say just deck the lot and build a BBQ

Yeah but the problem is when you've only got a 10m2 lawn you can't afford the space for a shed to keep the mower in. I know that because I only have a 10m2 lawn...

Astroturf may be the answer!

i say just deck the lot and build a BBQ

Woohoo!
bounce.gif
Now we're talking. I'll bring the beers.

bbq.gif

Yeah but the problem is when you've only got a 10m2 lawn you can't afford the space for a shed to keep the mower in. I know that because I only have a 10m2 lawn...

So what are you doing at the moment? How do you know what size your lawn is as the grass must be 10 feet high!
Do people really buy sheds just to house a lawnmower?
It's a bit extreme, just buy one of those fitted waterproof covers, job done.
Or better still, just use shears

It's a bit extreme, just buy one of those fitted waterproof covers, job done.
Or better still, just use shears

Or concrete over the whole lot. Cheaper than Astro- Turf, don't need to find somewhere to store a lawn mower and you can park your car on it.

Result :arco:

ETA, err except your sheep won't have anywhere to graze.

I'll think about that one and get back to you.

I see 3 problems with astro turf:

1. The cost of installation
2. The wailing of children when the fall over & remove most of the skin from all exposed limbs!
3. The fact you'll bore your mates or possibly complete strangers down the pub or at other social occasions about how you've got an astro turf lawn & dont have to mow it anymore.

Dont do it, buy hardy grass and goat and you'll not have a problem with it dying and it'll be trimmed on a daily basis. Plus you can have fresh milk at will!!

Nickynibbles - Point 2 - the stuff I was referring to is almost as soft as real grass, so the injured nippers aint gonna happen as a result of the material...

However, I do most strongly agree with point 3, yawn...

I don't think he was referring to the fake grassy bit, it's what's underneath i.e. the weave that holds it all together. Skid hard on that and it's like sandpaper as anyone who plays footy will tell you.

Nickynibbles - Point 2 - the stuff I was referring to is almost as soft as real grass, so the injured nippers aint gonna happen as a result of the material....

I was just reminising to my school days when the powers that be at my school thought it was a great idea to install an astro turf pitch so that footie, hockey, rugby etc could be played all year round rather than just in the relevant season. It was the lovely sandy astro turf that was laid and the injuries people received after sliding along the surface were really horrific!!

ahhh yes, good old skin been grazed off from hip to thigh.... follwed 20 mins later by a couple of bits of elbow skin...

who needs it anyway?? It grows back... (although it is hella itchy!)

Sliding tackles are actually not permitted on astro pitches anyway, now we all know why !

Play footy few times a week on Astroturf.

Not good on the legs if u end up on the deck.

Play footy few times a week on Astroturf.
Not good on the legs if u end up on the deck.

There are loads of different grades of astroturf now though.
The local nursery has it in their outside play area.
No way in hell you're going hurt yourself on that.

So what are you doing at the moment? How do you know what size your lawn is as the grass must be 10 feet high!

Well the whole garden is a bit unkempt at the moment but I'm remodelling it - Conservatory is being put up next week and I'm decking the other end of it for a bbq and some chairs - which leaves about 10m2 in the middle where I was going to have a small lawn with some plants around it.