Anyone Upgraded their MIB2 Screen to Android?

RAF_S7

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of the latest A4/5 models when they came out, mainly because of the "stuck-on" screen in the middle of the dashboard....

But.... having spent 4 days with a new A5 loaner from the dealer, I was actually quite impressed with the screen size as well as the much more intuitive touchscreen function, over the MIB2 controls I have in the 7.

So, has anyone taken the leap into aftermarket Android head units for the C7/7.5 platform, and have any recommendations?

Im aware of the RSNAV units, however these are not currently available to purchase due to production capacity limitations, so does anyone have any other recommendations/experiences with these types of units?

Cheers,
John:hi:

I had an Integrated Automotive IMI-1000 unit fitted to my C7.5 2016 A7 - provides CarPlay and Android functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I finally dragged the S7 MMI into 2022, and upgraded the now quite dated MIB2 interface to an Android head unit.
I went as big as possible - 12.3" which is huge compared to the OEM 8.5" popup screen. works well on the 6/7 platform, but probably not recommended for an A1/3/4 sized car (Smaller screens are available) :readit:

This one is a fixed screen by DMP Car Designs (Malaysian Company) and while it has a few quirks - and I'm still getting used to it -Im very happy with the outcome.
Full control over the original MMI functions is maintained
What I will say is the it was a complete PITA to install, despite it effectively being a plug & play unit. Took me around 3 hours and numerous hand cuts/bruises to install, mainly due to the lack of space behind the dash to install the required cables

The unit can take a SIM card, and provides full wireless Android Auto and CarPlay connectivity, though I have now jumped from an Android to an iPhone because the CarPlay presentation is much (MUCH) better than the Android equivalent.

As the head unit is Android based, you get access to the Google Play Store and can download apps to you hearts content :thumbs up:

The only thing it can't do (yet) is connect to an OBD2 dongle, as the bluetooth is utilised in the CarPlay/AA operation (so you can down load Torque etc, but cant actually bluetooth connect to the dongle) :rolleyes new:

John :hi:

20221229 111800
20221229 111855

Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT, AlS3BE and Robin Chandler
Looking good , I like it.
Do you have a link to it? I've looked on there website but it doesn't say what size is it. Is it touch screen? And...... do you have any pictures of the Audi MMI? Would like to see the clarity/size etc.
Thanks

Looking good , I like it.
Do you have a link to it? I've looked on there website but it doesn't say what size is it. Is it touch screen? And...... do you have any pictures of the Audi MMI? Would like to see the clarity/size etc.
Thanks
I’ll take a selection of pictures and post them in a couple of days for you.
It’s full touchscreen, and you can also use the MIB controls.
This is the 12.3” screen (listed for the C7.5 A6 - but fits the 7 also)
I found a setting called “MIB3 UI“, and the front end interface now looks like the C8, pretty cool

John.

Reactions: Robin Chandler
47AE577E 13A2 47E5 89EB 8DCE036D737C

Connected to Audi MMI, controlled from regular mmi buttons.

Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT, AlS3BE and Robin Chandler
Thanks John, appreciate the pictures. Looks spot on.
Happy New Year to you

Reactions: RAF_S7
Do you have pics of the back?
Just trying to see how it moulds to rest of dash.
The 2nd picture on Post 3 above shows a side on view, it blends in OK, and although its a significantly larger screen, its actually not that noticeable from outside the car (looking in from windscreen).

They supply a replacement dash trim piece since the screen mounting is wider than the OEM folding screen (one of the few Far East suppliers that provide a fitment for RHD cars)

Its not perfect in terms of functionality - but none of these Chinese sourced screens are tbh.

There are a number of suppliers out there, the most well known one is probably RSNaV - however they don't produce a RHD version.

I'll grab a few more pictures in daylight and post them up :hi:

Reactions: AlS3BE
The 2nd picture on Post 3 above shows a side on view, it blends in OK, and although its a significantly larger screen, its actually not that noticeable from outside the car (looking in from windscreen).

They supply a replacement dash trim piece since the screen mounting is wider than the OEM folding screen (one of the few Far East suppliers that provide a fitment for RHD cars)

Its not perfect in terms of functionality - but none of these Chinese sourced screens are tbh.

There are a number of suppliers out there, the most well known one is probably RSNaV - however they don't produce a RHD version.

I'll grab a few more pictures in daylight and post them up :hi:
I’ve been looking at these for my s3 and since the mib2 hardware is pretty much identical they should work. Like you said most suppliers are for lhd so wanted to see what effort they made on the trim pieces to make it look more factory.
previously had 3 different c7 a6 and the last one had same full tech pack like your s7.

I’ve been looking at these for my s3 and since the mib2 hardware is pretty much identical they should work. Like you said most suppliers are for lhd so wanted to see what effort they made on the trim pieces to make it look more factory.
previously had 3 different c7 a6 and the last one had same full tech pack like your s7.
This is the back of the unit.
Colour wise it’s a pretty good match to the grey dash I have.
There is a narrow trim strip that goes between the unit and the original dash, that hides the actual case containing the electronics. It’s ok, but it’s not a perfect fit, but since it’s effectively out of sight, it’s not a huge issue for me. You can see that one end doesn’t quite snap into place. :hi:

CC81B657 A3E4 47B3 A8E8 DD0C2BD81104

Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT and AlS3BE
Well I finally dragged the S7 MMI into 2022, and upgraded the now quite dated MIB2 interface to an Android head unit.
I went as big as possible - 12.3" which is huge compared to the OEM 8.5" popup screen. works well on the 6/7 platform, but probably not recommended for an A1/3/4 sized car (Smaller screens are available) :readit:

This one is a fixed screen by DMP Car Designs (Malaysian Company) and while it has a few quirks - and I'm still getting used to it -Im very happy with the outcome.
Full control over the original MMI functions is maintained
What I will say is the it was a complete PITA to install, despite it effectively being a plug & play unit. Took me around 3 hours and numerous hand cuts/bruises to install, mainly due to the lack of space behind the dash to install the required cables

The unit can take a SIM card, and provides full wireless Android Auto and CarPlay connectivity, though I have now jumped from an Android to an iPhone because the CarPlay presentation is much (MUCH) better than the Android equivalent.

As the head unit is Android based, you get access to the Google Play Store and can download apps to you hearts content :thumbs up:

The only thing it can't do (yet) is connect to an OBD2 dongle, as the bluetooth is utilised in the CarPlay/AA operation (so you can down load Torque etc, but cant actually bluetooth connect to the dongle) :rolleyes new:

View attachment 262561View attachment 262562
John,

This looks tremendous!! I'm seriously considering going for this after having installed the unique auto developments android auto/car play interface last year and not being very impressed by it, mainly due to having to retain the small low res screen without the touchscreen capability.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind mate, did you switch to an iPhone purely because of the aesthetics of the unit or because the functionality was better?

Bit of a daft question here but I take it once the screen is installed it overrides the ability to retract the screen into the dash? (I realise the new screen won't fit in the dash but just wondered if there is something further needed to be done to prevent it from trying to)

Cheers mate
Dave

John,

This looks tremendous!! I'm seriously considering going for this after having installed the unique auto developments android auto/car play interface last year and not being very impressed by it, mainly due to having to retain the small low res screen without the touchscreen capability.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind mate, did you switch to an iPhone purely because of the aesthetics of the unit or because the functionality was better?

Bit of a daft question here but I take it once the screen is installed it overrides the ability to retract the screen into the dash? (I realise the new screen won't fit in the dash but just wondered if there is something further needed to be done to prevent it from trying to)

Cheers mate
Dave
Hi Dave,

The current iteration of Android Auto doesn’t have the split screen capability - yet! It’s coming in a new release of Android Auto called Coolwalk, which is currently in beta testing, but doesn’t yet have a public release date. As a result AA on a wide screen such as this is restricted to the centre portion of the screen, and not much larger than the existing MMI screen.

iPhone‘s Carplay has had split screen capability for a while, and makes full use of the screen space, so it was a no brainer to move to iPhone for now (it’s not a new iPhone, think it’s an 11 or 12) and will do until Android Coolwalk comes along.

Any of the current crop of (mainly Chinese sourced) replacement Android Headunits completely replaces the existing pop in-out screen, and is a fixed screen. There are a few suppliers that also supply an Android screen that can retract like the OEM screen.

Most of these headunits also take a SIM card, so it can be a fully functioning headunit, without having to pair your mobile phone to it.

I had been looking for an MMI upgrade path for a while, but was limited as very few of the suppliers serve the UK (or RHD) market place. This is crucial, because changing the screen requires a change of the trim piece and those are specific to RHD or LHD dashboards.

It’s not a difficult DIY, just a pain as space is very limited. This YT video is fairly typical of what’s required.

Hi Dave,

The current iteration of Android Auto doesn’t have the split screen capability - yet! It’s coming in a new release of Android Auto called Coolwalk, which is currently in beta testing, but doesn’t yet have a public release date. As a result AA on a wide screen such as this is restricted to the centre portion of the screen, and not much larger than the existing MMI screen.

iPhone‘s Carplay has had split screen capability for a while, and makes full use of the screen space, so it was a no brainer to move to iPhone for now (it’s not a new iPhone, think it’s an 11 or 12) and will do until Android Coolwalk comes along.

Any of the current crop of (mainly Chinese sourced) replacement Android Headunits completely replaces the existing pop in-out screen, and is a fixed screen. There are a few suppliers that also supply an Android screen that can retract like the OEM screen.

Most of these headunits also take a SIM card, so it can be a fully functioning headunit, without having to pair your mobile phone to it.

I had been looking for an MMI upgrade path for a while, but was limited as very few of the suppliers serve the UK (or RHD) market place. This is crucial, because changing the screen requires a change of the trim piece and those are specific to RHD or LHD dashboards.

It’s not a difficult DIY, just a pain as space is very limited. This YT video is fairly typical of what’s required.

Cheers John,

You're help with this has completely made my mind up and I've just now ordered this unit. I may well regret sticking with Android initially but I just don't think I could cope with an iPhone!

Hopefully the coolwalk update comes soon but for me it's the touchscreen capability alone that would make the difference from my current set up. The ability to use a separate sim is a good option to have tho and I'd definitely consider that if I don't get on with the AA.

Thanks again mate, you're a gentleman and FYI your motor is an absolute belter!!!

Cheers
Dave

I'm looking to do the exact same thing to my car, and @RAF_S7 my car is the same as yours, a 2016 Audi S7.

Where did you purchase the kit from? Do you know anyone who can install this?

thanks

I purchased from these guys here.

Delivery was about 3 weeks but be aware you may get a bill (after delivery…) for customs charges :crying:

It’s not as cheap as some, but I’ve been looking for a while for a unit suitable for a RHD car, and very sellers few are offering this. This vendor is based in Malaysia which is a RHD country.

The only thing I’ve not been able to do is get an OBD2 dongle and app connected. It’s not a deal breaker, but something I’d would like them to sort out at a future date.

Installation is not complex, and within the skills of a reasonable DIYer. There are plenty of YT videos on doing similar headunit upgrades on the C7.5 platform.
The biggest pain is the lack of space behind the OEM control unit
Brute force and skinned knuckles sorted it in the end.

Cheers,

Reactions: harry217
Thanks! I had a look and these guys build is just one from AliExpress. I emailed them and they ship them from their “Hong Kong warehouse” so clearly they are drop shipping. But in all fairness everyone is drop shipping these, as these are the only models available on AliExpress as well.

RSNAV do a RHD model and they can even supply a full 360 HD camera kit. I might check that out if I can find someone to fit it.

RSNav have a long waiting list (or did when I contacted them). They also didn’t do one for a RHD car, which is why I didn’t go with them :sm4:

RSNav have a long waiting list (or did when I contacted them). They also didn’t do one for a RHD car, which is why I didn’t go with them :sm4:

Yeah I have been doing alot of research these past few days and this is what I've figured out.

All the kits that RSNAV and DMP use are generic 12 inch screens that all ship with the same software.

What makes RSNAV Special is that they upgrade the software with their own custom one, that has their own custom 360 camera apps.

I have downloaded a copy of the RSNAV software. If i can get one of these generic screens I can try flash their software to see if it still works.

Tho its a risk, but RSNAV is 300$ more expensive that the AliExpress kits, so I am not sure if its worth it, given they are all the same.

Yeah I have been doing alot of research these past few days and this is what I've figured out.

All the kits that RSNAV and DMP use are generic 12 inch screens that all ship with the same software.

What makes RSNAV Special is that they upgrade the software with their own custom one, that has their own custom 360 camera apps.

I have downloaded a copy of the RSNAV software. If i can get one of these generic screens I can try flash their software to see if it still works.

Tho its a risk, but RSNAV is 300$ more expensive that the AliExpress kits, so I am not sure if its worth it, given they are all the same.
There is quite a good RSNav Facebook Group, I’m on there still, and although the RSNav developers are quite active on there, there are also a lot of people complaining. Worth keeping an eye on.

Hey Harry,

Did you try the RSNav software on your generic Android headunit yet?
I found their latest download, but it carried a warning saying there is a code checker to ensure it can only be installed on an RSNav unit, and warns of potential to brick any other unit….

Cheers,
John.

Hey Harry,

Did you try the RSNav software on your generic Android headunit yet?
I found their latest download, but it carried a warning saying there is a code checker to ensure it can only be installed on an RSNav unit, and warns of potential to brick any other unit….

Cheers,
John.

I contacted the RSNAV people and the generic people. RSNAV software checks to see if your serial number is registered with them. So unless someone makes a bypass it won’t work.

I see that RSNav have now released an upgrade for the RHD C7 & 7.5 cars.

Having lived with my version for a couple of months, there are a few niggles that are just annoying, like not returning to Carplay after using the reversing camera, or not being able to dictate replies to WhatsApp messages etc, and intermittent loss of GPS signal just when it’s needed most!

Anyway, I would recommend looking at this RSNav unit over the DMP one I have, as the RSN development guys seem to be all over it re upgrades and customer service activities.