Anyone tried the TTRS BBK from TT Shop??

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
As can be seen here:

http://www.thettshop.co.uk/performance_mk2.asp?cat=6060&product=620012

Would be interested to know peoples thoughts on this.

Currently in the market for a BBK and its an absolute minefield!!! So many different options then there are the custom options with custom this and special that, nightmare!!

The TTRS kit seems to be just a buy and fit job but was wondering what people thought? Oh, and is it essential to upgrade the rear of the car when you upgrade the front? Well I don't mean essential exactly but is it good practice?

Cheers!

There are plenty of people running the TTRS setup on S3's and my own experience with the TT shop is nothing but outstanding, I'd be the first to recommend them.
Only a couple of notes really, you need 12mm wheel spacers and by proxy a set of longer wheel nuts, secondly you have to remove the outside wheel weights so they don't clip the caliper (you can still balance the wheel up without these).That's pretty much it, fit and forget. The TT shop know their stuff. I had their optional brake ducts fitted as well for good measure.

There are other options out there and I wouldn't want to restrict your view but as always it's horses for courses. The TTRS kit is great an good value but if your plan to track the car seriously it may be worth looking higher up the food chain to AP and the likes.

Brake balance is not really affected by the kit, I'm running Ferodo DS2500 all round on standard rear discs and calipers, works well for me.

Any excuse for a picture

Last edited:
You may find the rear of the car goes light under heavy braking and tends to snake around a bit with the front brakes upgraded alone.

Uprating the rear pads can help restore the balance if you do find this.
I certainly did.

For that price you might be spending £100 more & buying the vagbremtechnic kit that I mentioned last night - AKS tuning seem to be the cheapeast for it - type in "DAVE B TT RS kit" into google and there are a lot of reviews.

TT SHOP - £2000

Genuine Audi/Brembo TTRS 4 Pot calipers (Black with RS Logo)
Huge 370x32mm punched Audi/Brembo Discs
Audi Pads
Audi Brake Pad Wear Sensor
Audi Lines
Bigger Dust Shields and Bolts
Caliper Bolts

VBT KIT - £2100

Genuine Aston Martin DB9 calipers (same as TT RS)
362mm - AP Racing two piece discs
Pagid RS4-2 Pads
HEL braided lines
Caliper Bolts

Reactions: Sayam
DaveB is the brake man for sure.

The only problem is he's a deservedly busy man.

Reactions: hxrpz
DaveB is the brake man for sure.

The only problem is he's a deservedly busy man.

+1 to what Alex said. AKS tuning/Statler/Awesome GTI are your best route to getting his kit.

Reactions: S3Alex
that's silly money for ttrs brakes. i got mine for under €500 slightly used.
and a excuse for pictures:whistle2:
20150421_133022w-jpg.56632

Reactions: S3_Mat
that's silly money for ttrs brakes. i got mine for under €500 slightly used.

For the standard TT RS set up, i agree with S, £2000 is silly money to pay for the standard brakes. However for the kit with the AP Racing discs, etc. It's reasonable in relation to performance benefits.

Reactions: S.
I think I'm looking at an AP kit shortly as there's a problem with one of the calipers on my VWR kit.

For that price you might be spending £100 more & buying the vagbremtechnic kit that I mentioned last night - AKS tuning seem to be the cheapeast for it - type in "DAVE B TT RS kit" into google and there are a lot of reviews.

TT SHOP - £2000

Genuine Audi/Brembo TTRS 4 Pot calipers (Black with RS Logo)
Huge 370x32mm punched Audi/Brembo Discs
Audi Pads
Audi Brake Pad Wear Sensor
Audi Lines
Bigger Dust Shields and Bolts
Caliper Bolts

VBT KIT - £2100

Genuine Aston Martin DB9 calipers (same as TT RS)
362mm - AP Racing two piece discs
Pagid RS4-2 Pads
HEL braided lines
Caliper Bolts

I would go with the VBT kit, although I only bought pads, discs, adapters and lines from Dave. I sourced the calipers from eBay so the entire thing cost be about £1400-1500.

So can I just clear something up, TTRS/RS3 brake's aren't a straight forward swop for my S3 item's..?

I.E take mine off, Pop them on....

So can I just clear something up, TTRS/RS3 brake's aren't a straight forward swop for my S3 item's..?

Sadly not mate. You'll need adapters to have them bolt on our cars and I think longer oil lines

Reactions: Craig-P

Take yours off - pop them on. Pop on 12mm wheel spacer - check if you have any wheel weights in the way. Fit wheel back on with new long bolts.

Thanks for the replies guys, seems the TTshop is a bit expensive for what they are offering then. I actually sent Dave B a private mail on here yonks ago but didnt get a reply. Must look into him again. And see that 12mm spacer, is that with the pre-facelift alloys as pictured in this thread, or with the facelift alloys? Cause I got an email reply from the TTshop saying those brakes should fit behind the facelift alloys.

Cheers Torque but as far as I know the RS3 discs dont fit the s3, its the TTRS discs that do. Both calipers are the same though as far as I know.

Take yours off - pop them on. Pop on 12mm wheel spacer - check if you have any wheel weights in the way. Fit wheel back on with new long bolts.

+ Different brake hoses, And using TTRS discs over RS3 one's correct..?

yes ttrs discs are straight fit on s3. you can modify your s3 brakes hoses or get ttrs braided hoses (like hell, or goodridge..).

I'm having a set of the Forge rears fitted as its the only upgrade set available for the S3,but sticking with AP for the front.
What do you mean the only upgrade set available? The ones I linked are the front set are they not?

What do you mean the only upgrade set available? The ones I linked are the front set are they not?

Rear sets I'm talking about.

There are a good number of fronts now from cheap to shockingly expensive.

Reactions: s3_trev
With my s3 ive always waited and saved up for the "best" stuff so this is why im taking so long with my choice of brakes. I would love the OEM look with the RS kit but is it the best? Not when you compare it to an AP kit I dont think it is! AP seem to come up over and over in the VAG scene when quality is concerned.

Sooo Im looking at this:

https://www.apracing.com/product_de...front_6_piston_kit_cp5575m1011-2003-2012.aspx

But the website has let me down a bit tbh. One of the images isnt working, and there is no sign of a price. I do like the bit that says "18" aftermarket wheel or 18" OEM wheel involving 3mm spacer" with regards to the spacing. This is good as I really would rather not have spacers at all, so a 3mm one would be acceptable. Would love a picture of these though. Might ring them tomorrow actually. Will make sure im sitting down before I ask the price!!

AP and Alcon are the best.
Alcon are shocking expensive but both will stop you.

I've had both and never felt let down by either.

APs site is a bit clunky for sure but a call will help.

Maybe too good LOL. Was looking at a set of Brembo GT's earlier and they were sitting at 7 grand or something along those lines. Insane!

I seriously think you should consider that link I posted. Have a look at some of the reviews, all the ones I've read (based on some brief googling) suggest they are good products.

They are also, imho, in the correct price bracket for brakes. The prices other manufacturers are coming out with (because everyone wants their slice at each level) are frankly ridiculous. This isn't magic, it's a braking system...but just bigger discs, callipers with more pistons etc

From research I think there is actually more to it than that. AP would generally have smaller discs than others, but have greater performance. Apparantly the dude that owns PB brakes has admitted that all he does is just match up parts that fit with each other, without any other R&D. So basically a PB kit VS an AP kit with identical attributes, the AP may perform better due to the way its parts work with each other. Thats the vibe im getting anyway. I also really dont wanna take a risk with a no name brake manufacturer due to the obvious high stakes with what could go wrong if they didnt work properly...

If he's "apparently" admitted that do you know how apparent that is? Reason I ask - I'd consider this brake setup for the rear of my car...my grandma has saucers bigger than my rear discs lol!

Guess if that kit is no good I would have to go down the S3 route...