Anyone tried a power/electric tailgate retrofit?

q2us3r

Reaction score
Power/tailgate kits are available from the usual sources, was just wondering if anyone has tried it - was it difficult? does it require any coding? any guides that you found useful? (search results on this forum doesn't bring back much) thanks!

Power/tailgate kits are available from the usual sources, was just wondering if anyone has tried it - was it difficult? does it require any coding? any guides that you found useful? (search results on this forum doesn't bring back much) thanks!
Was never an OEM option so anything available as a kit would be put together as a 3rd party offering, maybe using OEM parts from other cars like the Q2. I have done a number of vehicles like the Q2 and it’s not a major retrofit effort wise, cost is another story.

Was never an OEM option so anything available as a kit would be put together as a 3rd party offering, maybe using OEM parts from other cars like the Q2. I have done a number of vehicles like the Q2 and it’s not a major retrofit effort wise, cost is another story.

Thanks @DJAlix - I was not aware of that, but makes sense, don't think I have ever seen an Audi A3 with a power tailgate. However, I do also have access to an Audi Q2, so might try on that one first (looking for my next project). I assume it requires a new module? and hence has to be added to the canbus using VCDS (a bit like we do with the reverse camera). I agree with cost, kits tend to be around £700 and another £600-700 to fit, would be happy to pay £700 if I could fit it myself, I am sure I would learn lots from it and keep me busy at the same time!

Is the q2 a straight fit for the a3 sportback?
Been looking at some aliexpress kits as this is a retrofit/mod I want.

so thing like this

Was never an OEM option for the A3 so any kit or installation of parts is going to be a gamble.
Have you came across any good kits your customers have used? Other than aliexpress there doesn’t seem to be anyone making any.

Have you came across any good kits your customers have used? Other than aliexpress there doesn’t seem to be anyone making any.
Not for the A3 no. I have completed OEM installations on vehicles that had power tailgate as a factory option, ie Q2, Q5’s, Q7’s and an A6. The only kits I have seen used on the A3 are the “pop n lift” replacement struts which are auto open and manual close.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Not fully automated as it's an auto open with manual close but I took the chance back in Sep 2020 and purchased from quickLIFT who are a business seller on UK eBay and based in Poland. I’m very impressed with the service as they arrived fully tracked via UPS 5 days (3 business days) after placing the order.

This is what arrived being very surprised that they care with a microfiber and screwdriver to aid fitting.

20200826_135228Small.jpg

These are the assister springs that help with the initial tailgate lift which then allows the gas strut to take over and fully open.

20200826_135245Small.jpg

Now for the good part, long press on the tailgate button and hey presto…open sesame.

Reactions: EXSpartan36, AlS3BE and Potterswheel
Not for the A3 no. I have completed OEM installations on vehicles that had power tailgate as a factory option, ie Q2, Q5’s, Q7’s and an A6. The only kits I have seen used on the A3 are the “pop n lift” replacement struts which are auto open and manual close.

Thanks for all the info so far, very useful. Beginning to look at the required parts and what it would actually take to retrofit into a Audi Q2. Does the driver's door boot-open button connect to the door module? or does it run cables back to the power tailgate module? i.e. it would certainly make it easier if I only need to run cables from the boot to the front fuse box through the passengers side of the car.

Thanks for all the info so far, very useful. Beginning to look at the required parts and what it would actually take to retrofit into a Audi Q2. Does the driver's door boot-open button connect to the door module? or does it run cables back to the power tailgate module? i.e. it would certainly make it easier if I only need to run cables from the boot to the front fuse box through the passengers side of the car.
Don’t need to install the internal release button but yes, cables need to run from front to back for button and power. You will also need to make / drill holes on your body to pass new cables through.

Don’t need to install the internal release button but yes, cables need to run from front to back for button and power. You will also need to make / drill holes on your body to pass new cables through.
Thanks, great info - good to hear that it will still work without the internal release button being connected. When installed from factory, do you know where the electric boot module is normally located? would there already be a bracket or screw holes in place for it to be fitted if not originally installed?

Thanks, great info - good to hear that it will still work without the internal release button being connected. When installed from factory, do you know where the electric boot module is normally located? would there already be a bracket or screw holes in place for it to be fitted if not originally installed?
On the C pillar. Mounting points are already there.

On the C pillar. Mounting points are already there.

Many thanks, had a look this afternoon and the bracket is indeed there like you said - currently collecting all the different parts, just waiting on a few of them, going to try to install it on the Audi Q2. So is the general direction something like; the main boot module connects to the fuse box (F22) and canbus while all the different parts connect to the boot module or to each other? so the struts, the motor, the boot close button, and the audible beeper (and the front door button if installed).

Last edited:
Module connects to car, it CAN and power, then struts etc to module.

Thanks, I have received all the parts, so it will be a job for the weekend! Really appreciate your help. If you don't mind, you mentioned that some drilling was required? I imagine to route some cables, could you elaborate a little more on where the drilling would be required? (would probably save me some time while trying to route the cables before figuring it out!) - and, as the boot module is from another used Audi Q2, apart from adding it to the gateway (6D I believe it is), is there any other VCDS coding required? (I imagined not, as it looks like a fairly standalone system).

Position / stand up the new struts and you will see that there is a small cable that needs to route in inside the car, this is what needs drilling. My SQ5 is the same:

Reactions: 8YARWY
Position / stand up the new struts and you will see that there is a small cable that needs to route in inside the car, this is what needs drilling. My SQ5 is the same:

View attachment 239269

Ah yes, that is very helpful and looking at the parts makes perfect sense! really appreciate it!

As for VCDS, do you think any additional coding/adaptations would be required after adding the 6D module to the gateway?

You should be good to go to be honest. As long as your boot latch releases when you press and hold the boot release button on your key then it should be almost plug and play… as long as your module is pre-coded.

You should be good to go to be honest. As long as your boot latch releases when you press and hold the boot release button on your key then it should be almost plug and play… as long as your module is pre-coded.

All done this weekend (between the rain showers), and all working perfectly, many thanks for all your help, very much appreciate it. I now wanted to fit the inside/door button to open the boot from inside. I have the button (8V0959831B) with four wires coming out of it - any ideas where this get connected? does it connect to the boot module (5Q0959107P)? any ideas of pin diagrams if it's something you have done before? any guidance would be much appreciated!

Reactions: DJAlix
Managed to find the pin diagram, the driver's door boot open/close button is now working perfectly :) - for those reading the thread in the future, these are the pin connections.

The button connects straight to the door module, to the light blue vertical 32 pin connector.

- pin 1 button --> pin 5 of 32 pin connector (ground)
- pin 2 button --> pin 5 of 32 pin connector (ground)
- pin 3 button --> pin 4 of 32 pin connector (illumination)
- pin 4 button --> pin 23 of 32 pin connector (signal)

Reactions: AlS3BE and DJAlix
Managed to find the pin diagram, the driver's door boot open/close button is now working perfectly :) - for those reading the thread in the future, these are the pin connections.

The button connects straight to the door module, to the light blue vertical 32 pin connector.

- pin 1 button --> pin 5 of 32 pin connector (ground)
- pin 2 button --> pin 5 of 32 pin connector (ground)
- pin 3 button --> pin 4 of 32 pin connector (illumination)
- pin 4 button --> pin 23 of 32 pin connector (signal)
Hi there
I’m planning on doing a retrofit on my A3 SLine sport back 8y. How far did you get with tracking down the parts needed. So far I have struts, a button and locking mechanism 8Y4827851
I’m puzzled by the button for the inside of the boot though as it has two buttons - surely it’s just 1 function to close it as it’s inaccessible when closed??

Last edited:
Hi there
I’m planning on doing a retrofit on my A3 SLine sport back 8y. How far did you get with tracking down the parts needed. So far I have struts, a button and locking mechanism 8Y4827851
I’m puzzled by the button for the inside of the boot though as it has two buttons - surely it’s just 1 function to close it as it’s inaccessible when closed??

The inside button comes in two versions; the one button version (button is to close boot) and the two button version (first button is to close boot, second button is to close boot and lock the car at the same time) - though the second button of the two button version only works if you have kessy installed in your car. So basically if your car has keyless entry you can install the two button version otherwise its the one button version.