Anyone transferred their private reg to a new car?

S32B

Reaction score
She told me yesterday that if I sell the car to them and I want to keep my private reg for my new car, I'd have to put it on retention first, then put the plates they give me for my old car on. Once I've done that they can then register my new car with my private reg.

Is that correct or can they change them straight over on the day of collection without me having to put them on retention and mess around with other plates for the car I'm selling?

Thanks

That's what I had to do also. Usually the plate for you old car is the same reg as you took off the car, so I had the physical plates already.

Reactions: S32B
That's what I had to do also. Usually the plate for you old car is the same reg as you took off the car, so I had the physical plates already.
That's the problem, my private reg was the first one on the car. I may just let it go with the car, I'd have to pay for retention, pay for new plates and then the more worrying thing is trying to get the private plates off, as they are stuck on with about 5 v-strong pads! Knowing my luck I'd damage the car trying to get them off. So it would cost me £80 retention, £20 plates = £100 to keep a £250 plate!!! If I'm changing every 2.5-3 years it's going to work out a lot over time.

Reactions: richard skilbeck
That's the problem, my private reg was the first one on the car. I may just let it go with the car, I'd have to pay for retention, pay for new plates and then the more worrying thing is trying to get the private plates off, as they are stuck on with about 5 v-strong pads! Knowing my luck I'd damage the car trying to get them off. So it would cost me £80 retention, £20 plates = £100 to keep a £250 plate!!! If I'm changing every 2.5-3 years it's going to work out a lot over time.
I have a private reg and left it on retention when got my S3, same reason as above really, it starts to add up, will allocate it once I decide to keep a car longer term.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
She told me yesterday that if I sell the car to them and I want to keep my private reg for my new car, I'd have to put it on retention first, then put the plates they give me for my old car on. Once I've done that they can then register my new car with my private reg.

Is that correct or can they change them straight over on the day of collection without me having to put them on retention and mess around with other plates for the car I'm selling?

Thanks

I had a private plate on my PFL A3 and when I went to collect my FL it had my private reg on it. The Audi garage I dealt with done the transfer paperwork. All I had to pay was £80, didn't have to put it on retention or pay for new plates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a PCP deal and the car is registered as new with your plates, the dealer should just be able to swap it all over when it comes time to get a new car, you'll have to pay a fee obviously but shouldn't be have to have new plates made.

I had to put my plate on retention to sell my old car before getting the S3, handed the paperwork to Audi and the car was registered as new with my plate.

New plates are included in the on the road costs of a new car.

So, retain the plate for £80 which also covers the cost of reassigning to the new car, send the retention doc to the dealer and they'll do the rest.

It's pretty painless tbh.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Really is no hassle, you are making it out to be very complicated haha.

Search online "DVLA Plate Retention" fill out form, pay £80 and you will be given a reg to put on the S3. Do it on the day of collection, drive to the dealer and use their computer to retain the plate then they can fit the new ones. Job done! When you're ready to hide your new plate, Google... "Assign private registration", fill out form and transfer instantly.

Really is no hassle, you are making it out to be very complicated haha.

Search online "DVLA Plate Retention" fill out form, pay £80 and you will be given a reg to put on the S3. Do it on the day of collection, drive to the dealer and use their computer to retain the plate then they can fit the new ones. Job done! When you're ready to hide your new plate, Google... "Assign private registration", fill out form and transfer instantly.
Ahhh you are doing it another way which makes sense. She told me I have to retain the private plate weeks before collecting my new car, which then means I have to get get a 15 plate reg off dvla, get those made up, drive that for a couple of weeks until the new car is ready with the private reg on.

I may go your way and as you say retain on changeover day, collect and run the new car on the 67 plate and then put the private plate on a few months later :)

Forget that. Retain it the week before (on line) so you have retention cert and new V5 doc arrive after a few days.

It's a bit of a grey area as the post is not reliable so they give you some leeway, but I got my new V5 doc the day before I picked up my new car, so arrived on the personalised plate and drove away on the personalised plate.

All insured which is the main thing.

Forget that. Retain it the week before (on line) so you have retention cert and new V5 doc arrive after a few days.

It's a bit of a grey area as the post is not reliable so they give you some leeway, but I got my new V5 doc the day before I picked up my new car, so arrived on the personalised plate and drove away on the personalised plate.

All insured which is the main thing.
When you retain it doesn't it remove that reg from your car and give you a new one to use? If that's the case how can you carry on driving with your private one on?

Because you still have to find the time to get plates made up for which you either need a printer to print that screen off or wait for your new V5.

When you retain it doesn't it remove that reg from your car and give you a new one to use? If that's the case how can you carry on driving with your private one on?

As Dan says, you get an eV948 online at the time of retention that is valid for 3 days, you can either use that to get the plates made up or if you can't get it done in that time, wait for the new V5 to come through.

Ahhh you are doing it another way which makes sense. She told me I have to retain the private plate weeks before collecting my new car, which then means I have to get get a 15 plate reg off dvla, get those made up, drive that for a couple of weeks until the new car is ready with the private reg on.

I may go your way and as you say retain on changeover day, collect and run the new car on the 67 plate and then put the private plate on a few months later :)

It's the best way and saves you having to source other plates. Turn up on collection day, remove the plate online (they will show you how), it's easy. Then collect your car on the new 67 plate, you can either drive around with a 67 plate for a few months to show its new or change within a matter of days! Get the dealer to make you up a set of private plates as well as the 67 plate, transfer online and it is instant to do then put your ready made plates on.

Reactions: S32B and Andy F
It's the best way and saves you having to source other plates. Turn up on collection day, remove the plate online (they will show you how), it's easy. Then collect your car on the new 67 plate, you can either drive around with a 67 plate for a few months to show its new or change within a matter of days! Get the dealer to make you up a set of private plates as well as the 67 plate, transfer online and it is instant to do then put your ready made plates on.
Doing it that way will the new reg/V5 document go straight to them?

Mate of mine just came around, he said just retain it now, put new cheap plates on it, run the new car with the 67 plates for a few months and then put your private plates back on. He said fishing wire should get them off easy enough without bending them! I have the UltraTek plates which are nice :) Next change and I will already have the 67 plates to put back on. Just this once I'll need to buy some.

I understand all the options now...cheers guys.

Reactions: Tom.H
Doing it that way will the new reg/V5 document go straight to them?

Mate of mine just came around, he said just retain it now, put new cheap plates on it, run the new car with the 67 plates for a few months and then put your private plates back on. He said fishing wire should get them off easy enough without bending them! I have the UltraTek plates which are nice :) Next change and I will already have the 67 plates to put back on. Just this once I'll need to buy some.

I understand all the options now...cheers guys.

No it will come back to you, but the V5's are normally back in 2-5 days now it is really quick. No dealer I have dealt with have ever had an issue with the V5 being sent in a week or so later, will take them that long to prep and list the car.

A couple of things to add to this thread

If you're financing your car on PCH (not PCP) you have to add VWFS as a nominee on your private plate retention cert. Something Audi Bolton neglected to tell me until my car reached the dealer so my retention cert had to go back through the DVLA system. This took 10 days effective trapping my car at the dealer until the revised cert appeared.

One possible consequence of registering your car as 67 then on to the private plate a few weeks later is your insurance company may charge you to make a change on your policy detail. Some insurance companies do, some don't, registering the car straight on to the privare plate will avoid this additional charge.

A couple of things to add to this thread

If you're financing your car on PCH (not PCP) you have to add VWFS as a nominee on your private plate retention cert. Something Audi Bolton neglected to tell me until my car reached the dealer so my retention cert had to go back through the DVLA system. This took 10 days effective trapping my car at the dealer until the revised cert appeared.

One possible consequence of registering your car as 67 then on to the private plate a few weeks later is your insurance company may charge you to make a change on your policy detail. Some insurance companies do, some don't, registering the car straight on to the privare plate will avoid this additional charge.
It's on PCP but I intend to pay the car off next week, that way I'm free to sell it to anyone and have the money paid direct to my bank account which I would be able to see in minutes/hours. The reason: I spoke to one place today and they said they would pay the finance off, but it may take a week to show as clear!...I may be old fashioned, but I don't like the sound of giving them my car and it taking that long to show as paid off.

I've also messaged Mike Brewer and asked if I could put the reg on retention the day I sold them the car (at the moment) they are offering £850 more than Audi.

I checked the insurance and I can change the reg online without charge :)

It's on PCP but I intend to pay the car off next week, that way I'm free to sell it to anyone and have the money paid direct to my bank account which I would be able to see in minutes/hours. The reason: I spoke to one place today and they said they would pay the finance off, but it may take a week to show as clear!...I may be old fashioned, but I don't like the sound of giving them my car and it taking that long to show as paid off.

I've also messaged Mike Brewer and asked if I could put the reg on retention the day I sold them the car (at the moment) they are offering £850 more than Audi.

I checked the insurance and I can change the reg online without charge :)

Does Mike Brewer offer collection? That's one of the options on my long list, but it's a good 180 miles to any of his branches. I'm not sure if I would prefer driving it away or seeing it driven away, either way it's going to break my heart

Does Mike Brewer offer collection? That's one of the options on my long list, but it's a good 180 miles to any of his branches. I'm not sure if I would prefer driving it away or seeing it driven away, either way it's going to break my heart
I don't think they do. It's 76 mile from me :) not too bad.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Personally all I do is apply for the retention of my existing private plate and then take this and the form giving the new number to the dealers when I collect my new car. They know what my private is anyway so they make up a set of plates and put them on the new car. When I drive to the dealer my car still has the private plate on it so when I get to the dealers there are two cars with the same number. The dealer then puts a set of plates with the DVLA nominated number on my old car ready for re-sale.

Reactions: S32B and Reggieboy71
Just spoke to Audi about this, if I decide to retain my private and drive on the 67 plate for a few months and then add the private plate later on, I then also have to pay VWFS £50 to change the paperwork their end! She said a lot of people do not do that and it's illegal by not doing it!!!

Before I returned my Golf to VWFS I put my private plate on to retention then immediately phoned VWFS to tell them what the standard registration I had been assigned. Didn't cost a penny so either the £50 fee is a new thing or your person doesn't know the facts. Id give VWFS a quick call to check

Just spoke to Audi about this, if I decide to retain my private and drive on the 67 plate for a few months and then add the private plate later on, I then also have to pay VWFS £50 to change the paperwork their end! She said a lot of people do not do that and it's illegal by not doing it!!!

Not sure what Audi mean by saying its illegal. What exactly is illegal? Any new car I purchase is registered from day one by the dealer with my personal plate and only gets a normal year based number when I put my number on retention ready for the next car. That's perfectly legal as is the dealer supplying a new car on a standard plate and you putting a personal plate on it whenever you like.

Not sure what Audi mean by saying its illegal. What exactly is illegal? Any new car I purchase is registered from day one by the dealer with my personal plate and only gets a normal year based number when I put my number on retention ready for the next car. That's perfectly legal as is the dealer supplying a new car on a standard plate and you putting a personal plate on it whenever you like.
That's legal but not what @S32B is explaining... I think he's saying that if he drives on the 67 plate for a few weeks legally the finance paperwork should have that 67 plate and not his personal one. Then when he puts the personal one on, the finance documentation will legally need updating which incurs a £50 admin charge :)

I collected my 66 plate last September and put my private plate on in November and never told vwfs about the plate change. Had my yearly statement through a few weeks ago and it came in the private reg number and not its original 66 plate no. VWFS have never contacted me re the plate change neither.

What a load of rubbish! My service girl changed mine by sending an email to Admin in the dealership.

That's legal but not what @S32B is explaining... I think he's saying that if he drives on the 67 plate for a few weeks legally the finance paperwork should have that 67 plate and not his personal one. Then when he puts the personal one on, the finance documentation will legally need updating which incurs a £50 admin charge :)
Yep that's how she explained it.

What a load of rubbish! My service girl changed mine by sending an email to Admin in the dealership.
Just phoned Audi finance up and explained about taking my private plate off the S3 and putting a build year one on. Then asked about collecting the new car on a 67 plate and then putting the private plate on a few months later. She said "No charge for either, just call us up and we change it over, it takes 2 seconds".

Guess who's getting a call tomorrow lol :D

Reactions: AudiNutta, azibux1 and Tom.H
Yep that's how she explained it.

Just phoned Audi finance up and explained about taking my private plate off the S3 and putting a build year one on. Then asked about collecting the new car on a 67 plate and then putting the private plate on a few months later. She said "No charge for either, just call us up and we change it over, it takes 2 seconds".

Guess who's getting a call tomorrow lol :D

That's more like it! I didn't phone Black Horse finance, in fact I totally forgot to and I had a letter automatically within a few days saying they noticed the reg had changed and they updated it. I have no idea how they did mind you.