Anyone taken their A3 through the Channel Tunnel?

Mikeso51

Reaction score
I will be taking my A3 to France in the Spring, and since I hate car ferries with a vengeance, I will be using the Channel Tunnel. It’s been many years since I last used the Tunnel, and I believe that most small cars now travel on an upper deck in the train. I believe this involves driving up a steep ramp, and I wondered anyone using the Tunnel recently had experienced any grounding problem with their A3?

I will be taking my A3 to France in the Spring, and since I hate car ferries with a vengeance, I will be using the Channel Tunnel. It’s been many years since I last used the Tunnel, and I believe that most small cars now travel on an upper deck in the train. I believe this involves driving up a steep ramp, and I wondered anyone using the Tunnel recently had experienced any grounding problem with their A3?

I had no problem with my Subaru which was dropped to the deck on Coilovers, so I think you'll be ok with your generic A3 :)

Reactions: tiktok_78 and Mikeso51
I've taken most of my ten A3s through the tunnel, usually several times a year, and I've never had any problems. Like you I hate the ferries.

Reactions: Mikeso51
Every year at least once. A3 TDI and now S3. Not a single problem. Cheaper way, great roads the other side from the start.

Reactions: Mikeso51
are you in the car while going thru the tunnel chaps? ill be using it this summer...

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Having been recently pulled over in France, I though it worth saying that you should make sure you have all the required nonsense the law there requires (safety vest, triangle, and a "UK" or "GB" decal, if you do not have it on your licence plate. Also new Brexit rules may or may not be n force, so probably worth having an international driving permit which I got at my local Post Office, and also your insurance green card from your insurers.

For the 1st time ever I was asked for my v5 and driving licence on leaving the , has anyone else come across this? It used to be a flash of the passport only. Sign of the times I suppose, and I guess RS3's are often stolen and taken abroad.

Reactions: Ormesome
For the 1st time ever I was asked for my v5 and driving licence on leaving the , has anyone else come across this? It used to be a flash of the passport only. Sign of the times I suppose, and I guess RS3's are often stolen and taken abroad.
Think some countries France especially ask for V5, in the past we took a scanned copy as there was no way we were driving with a V5 in the car for obvious reasons!

Reactions: Ormesome
are you in the car while going thru the tunnel chaps? ill be using it this summer...

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Yes you remaining sitting in your for the whole journey. You car get out out to go to the loo, but other than that that it is better and more comfortable to say in the car.

Reactions: N.J.H and zac7654321