Anyone tackled the door hinges

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My drivers sore has dropped about 15-20mm and have to **** about shutting the door, has anyone changed they door hinges any special tools needed? I’m not sure if the wing has to come off to get access?

Let me just say its a :scared2: if your doing the driver's door upper hinge I got a body shop friend to do it in the end and he had to borrow a tool from someone else apparently not that easy.

Last edited:

Prawn makes it look easy, not sure if they can be adjusted or are just goosed £125 for the pair through parts request will have to order them,‘it’s damaged the Paint on the b pillar so don’t want to fit the carbon fibre ones until it’s sorted in case it damages it

Don't think they are adjustable mine was bent in a garage reversing incident by the previous owner only top needed replacement
didn’t think they would be I think
They just worn away I have tried to see if the fixings have come loose but they look tight

Top or Bottom? Also, get it spayed before reinstalling paid my man £100 for removal and install a good few years back but would do it myself now as I have gained more experience with the car over time.

Reactions: Tj 0785
I’m not sure which has worn the bottom is £100 and top is £25 which I’m guessing because the bottom has all the weight on it is most likely to have worn so whilst it’s off might aswell do the top

I’m going to have a proper luck tomorrow hopefully il Figure it out if there’s no play in the hinges il buy the alignment tool and try that before I replace the hinges
9CA4DA23 400F 489F 9B48 BFF5271D5F2B

Reactions: MPH
I’m going to have a proper luck tomorrow hopefully il Figure it out if there’s no play in the hinges il buy the alignment tool and try that before I replace the hingesView attachment 208679
That's the one also check the striker plate let me know how you get on.

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

Last edited:
Had a look today at the door and there seems to be noun/down movement in the door at all so I’m hoping the hinges are ok they just moved, so will order the alignment tool and see how that goes

The one in pic above is around £40 there’s a cheaper one at 32

Got nowhere haha tried the lever but didn’t make no difference so think it’s a new hinge needed

Both my doors sit poorly, height wise is fine but the alignment with the quarter panel when closed is very poor, I've tried the striker adjustment which worked a bit but not much. I had more success man handling the door and twisting it but I need to remove the door blade to do this properly (and probably another set of hands).

My plan is ultimately new hinges and get a body shop to fit and align.

@Ian W would you please give some more detailed information are you talking about the striker plate or the catch area thanks @MPH

Hi, I adjusted the striker (this is the bit on the B piller, correct?) . Maybe I can attempt to adjust the catch...

In relation to the issue, the drivers door sits in an almost twisted position, the top of the door sits further in while the bottom sits proud of the quarter panel.

As I said, some brute force twisting of the door improved the situation but my door blade is a bit loose so I can't apply much pressure at the bottom, with that removed I could get a good grab of the door and apply some force.

At least the catch is working and my doors don't randomly open (for now :sweatsmile:)

Hi, I adjusted the striker (this is the bit on the B piller, correct?) . Maybe I can attempt to adjust the catch...

In relation to the issue, the drivers door sits in an almost twisted position, the top of the door sits further in while the bottom sits proud of the quarter panel.

As I said, some brute force twisting of the door improved the situation but my door blade is a bit loose so I can't apply much pressure at the bottom, with that removed I could get a good grab of the door and apply some force.

At least the catch is working and my doors don't randomly open (for now :sweatsmile:)
Many thanks for the reply and the info I'm going to look at the door shims on the door subframe when the weather improves.

Reactions: Ian W
Many thanks for the reply and the info I'm going to look at the door shims on the door subframe when the weather improves.

Yes, that is my plan, wait until the weather improves and I have a nice sunny Saturday morning to tinker with it.