Anyone suggest a cheap runner?

A3Bash

Reaction score
Need a local runner, which ones are the most reliable? Anyone selling? Budget is £500-600. Cheers

Should be able to get a half decent Corsa B for that. Even if something breaks there are thousands of them so spares are easily sought and are really cheap. the 1.0 L engine is a hunk of junk though and they break often.. go for the 1.2 if you can.

Nissan Micra, bubble shape one. Cheap to insure and run, engine is very strong in these, and has a cam chain, so virtually peanuts to run one. Just got to watch out for rust sills which kills them off eventually.

Should be able to get a half decent Corsa B for that. Even if something breaks there are thousands of them so spares are easily sought and are really cheap. the 1.0 L engine is a hunk of junk though and they break often.. go for the 1.2 if you can.

There is no such thing as a decent Vauxhall. I used to actually walk rather than use my last lady friends Corsa lol

Mk4 Fiesta 1.25 (be mindfull of rust), Golf, Polo, anything Jap, to be fair there are loads of options out there

Toyota yaris all day long. Got to London for 20 quid and have had no problems whatsoever for 9 years.

pug 205 diesel.
Well, if you can find one.
But the 306 diesel is also a very good cheap runner.
Any diesel would probably be your best bet.

How fussy are you on creature comforts and extras?

Last edited:
the pug 306 diesel is a great cheap car,torsion rear end,well under-sealed and mechanically simple,ive used these and the citroen zx for years,all other "cheap" cars dont compare...

pug 205 diesel.
Well, if you can find one.
But the 306 diesel is also a very good cheap runner.
Any diesel would probably be your best bet.

How fussy are you on creature comforts and extras?

You have to laugh sometimes... with a £500 budget, does street cred and creature comforts really come into it? I mean don't get me wrong, there are bargains to be had, but how choosy can you be? Reliability and cheap to run is all you need.

I would go with the pug 306 aswell.
Had one myself and never had any problems with it.
Pretty good going round corners too...................

peugeot 306 1.9 dturbo - solid engines and look half decent plus they dont really rust as they were galvanised. 3dr or 5dr witha big boot. can pick one up for £600 easy.