Anyone retrofitted S-tronic?

DeckedS3

Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing the bamula box with S-Tronic?

If so i'd like to know how easy/hard it was....

Was it plug and play? Did you need an additional wiring loom?

What else would I need?
Gearbox
Gear selector / Shifter
Steering wheel
pedals
ECU coding

Not Economically viable tbh, not aware of any cases where s tronic/ dsg has been fitted in a manual

Huge job, wouldn't be worth the cost. Better selling up and buying a car with the s-tronic nicks already fitted.

Tis a massive job. Wouldn't be cost beneficial in anyway. Just sell yours and buy an Auto?

That being said i'd defo subscribe to a thread of someone doing this...

however you would have to weigh up the cost of moving all your mods to a new car if you did decide to sell up.

I know it's been done and I'm very tempted to give it a go but i'd like to speak to someone in detail about it. I've tried to contact owners who've done the conversion with no response yet.

Has anyone tried replacing the bamula box with S-Tronic?

If so i'd like to know how easy/hard it was....

Was it plug and play? Did you need an additional wiring loom?

What else would I need?
Gearbox
Gear selector / Shifter
Steering wheel
pedals
ECU coding

Do you know how much an s-tronic gearbox costs ?

Good choice,hope this becomes reality be interesting to see it done.
:thumbsup:

Why not go the full hog and fit a 5 pot engine with the rs3 dsg ;)

Reactions: Brodster
This looks a little different......
14450880221_16838c3f11_b.jpg

Reactions: Paullie and Kelza
excellent mate.

let us know how you get on, i gather loads will be interested in this!

Reactions: DeckedS3
You sir have got some balls (and some £££) i'll give you that.. :icon_thumright:

Reactions: Ash187 and DeckedS3
Actual top skills attempting this retrofit. What's it's costing you roughly to do this?

There are mods and then there are MODS lol, my hat goes off to you sir :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gourlay1990, The Challinor, DeckedS3 and 1 other person
Killer mod...beats the pan roof retrofit that I saw on here agessss back...

Personally,I think you've done a great job here.

It's something I would have considered,although now,as I'd need the DSG rebuilt for what I have currently,I wouldn't,but I think for anyone else contemplating this sort of thing,you've basically written the "how to" guide.

Fantastic.

I've actually documented the "how to" if anyone is interested doing it but I'm not going to publish it until I know it's perfect. However, even without the s-tronic code running on it, it's driving fine which was unexpected. I'm hoping to have the car updated with s-tronic file by the weekend (if all goes to plan).
It's not a cheap mod but it can be done a lot cheaper than the way I've done it. If you wanted to do it with 2nd hand parts, I think you could do it for about 2-2.5k and recover some of that by selling the old gearbox, steering wheel etc.

Reactions: mister.c., Ash187, S3_Mat and 3 others
no F-ing way! you converted your car to a DSG?
i know it can be a bit of a pain to sit in traffic with the left foot on and off the clutch but isn't this taking it a little too far?

the fact you are reporting that its working is ****** amazing! whats next? retrofit A5 rear end onto a3?

Reactions: Gourlay1990, pwilliamson1991, DeckedS3 and 1 other person
Once you get your head around the wiring it's actually quite simple. I think you'd be surprised at how easy it hooks up together.
I had AMD fit the box and pedals (the hard bit for me to do) I've done the cabling and AMD are loading the software for me.
When the cars back I'm going to terminate all the cables correctly as I've left slack on everything at the moment in case I got something wrong. I'm confident it's all correct now though.

Once you get your head around the wiring it's actually quite simple. I think you'd be surprised at how easy it hooks up together.
I had AMD fit the box and pedals (the hard bit for me to do) I've done the cabling and AMD are loading the software for me.
When the cars back I'm going to terminate all the cables correctly as I've left slack on everything at the moment in case I got something wrong. I'm confident it's all correct now though.

Thought I recognised that car......

Kudos for retrofitting it, I love my DSG, it's a dream to drive.

cant wait to hear the outcome of this, post up a video?

if only places like AMD did the full retro fit :)

We had a few problems with the code as my car has the APR stage 3 file loaded. When they bonded the 2 bdm files and loaded it, it allowed me to code the car correctly. But as soon as I fired the car up it seemed to have an immobiliser problem. This turned out to be a problem with the APR map as the ecu flagged the file as a copy (which it was). It has some sort of copy protection to prevent people copying the code and sharing it for free. So APR are making a new code for my car. And I'm hoping to get this soon!
When I showed AMD the amount of cables they were surprised at how few there were.... However I doubt they be planning this conversion as a package anytime soon.
I'll get some vids up when it's complete.

Reactions: RedDejavu and S3Alex
We had a few problems with the code as my car has the APR stage 3 file loaded. When they bonded the 2 bdm files and loaded it, it allowed me to code the car correctly. But as soon as I fired the car up it seemed to have an immobiliser problem. This turned out to be a problem with the APR map as the ecu flagged the file as a copy (which it was). It has some sort of copy protection to prevent people copying the code and sharing it for free. So APR are making a new code for my car. And I'm hoping to get this soon!
When I showed AMD the amount of cables they were surprised at how few there were.... However I doubt they be planning this conversion as a package anytime soon.
I'll get some vids up when it's complete.

Sounds great.

I think all of the major software companies eiother encrypt or tag their files to prevent us(or unscrupulous tuners) nicking their work.

Each time the software on mine has been unloaded or reinstalled,it's needed to be validated,and the problem we had last year with the throttle body caused a lot of that!

brave man, hats off to you. i was speaking with a guy at from statllers sheffield yesterday and they are currently doing the same thing for a customer. they actually bought a write off S3 s-tronic and are stripping everything off that and swapping it over.

so im sure if someone else wanted to do it then maybe get in touch with these guys as they will have already done it before.

So so so close...... I just need the surround for the shifter plate to sit in.
Everything has now been loomed in perfectly and terminated. Job done! :D. It rips too.....
15010254905_2b888d6ec4_b.jpg

Reactions: dantdi, jimojameso, A3SBQ and 2 others
Brilliant.

For tenacity,knowledge and hard work....10/10

AMD RR day on the 21st?

I would love to go but I'll have my feet up lying on a beach :)

That's no excuse for the car not to go....I promise not to thrash it...tooo much!

Lol, I need the dsg map, the box is only holding 3/4 throttle in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Its still quick but It's odd because it still changes gear and backs off for a half a second and then puts the power down.

Definitely the best retrofit I've seen/heard of, props to you - big balls haha!