Anyone replaced the battery in their B9 key?

NickGun

Reaction score
As per title just wondering if any other B9 owners have had to replace their key battery yet?

Our main use key is suddenly and constantly pinging up that battery needs replacing on the DIS and wanted to find out if it's a dealer only option or can I get a 3rd party company to do it? Or even better something I can easily sort myself?

It should be straight forward for you to do yourself. Video below shows how to remove it.

Reactions: NickGun
Yes, really simple, did it last week. CR 2032 battery, as per the video above, done!

Reactions: NickGun
It should be straight forward for you to do yourself. Video below shows how to remove it.

Awesome, thanks - couldn't face another trip to dealers as was only serviced 2 weeks ago and predictably key wasn't showing battery replacement then.

How long has your battery lasted? I’ve had my car for near enough a year now and for now the key is still going.

How long has your battery lasted? I’ve had my car for near enough a year now and for now the key is still going.

We've had our B9 for just over 20months, think 18months or so is average for battery to last.

Our other key shouldn't need its battery replacing as I had the misfortune of losing one and had to order one from Audi in November (expensive too - ouch) hence why both sets now sport those Tile trackers.

Main key battery lasted 17 months and did it myself bought two Panasonic batteries for £3. Still waiting on spare key telling me to replace battery.

My spare's in an RFID pouch in a drawer and rarely gets used so I just swapped that one at the same time my main key flashed up as needing doing. Never know when you might need it and Murphy's Law states that that spare battery you kept to one side is now impossible to find :yes:

so I have around 6 months left with mine, don't need to worry yet :)

Hi All,

I have made the mistake of letting my key go totally flat.
I have been using my second key and thought to replace the battery in my first key.

i followed the video in this thread with a cr2032 battery however it still doesnt work. Is there anything i need to do to re sync the key?

thanks,
Rg

not that I'm aware of. Had a spare key with no battery in it for at least a year and worked as soon as I put a battery in it. Have you checked your replacement battery is ok and installed the correct way round. Also try placing the key on the sensor under the armrest and see if the car picks it up.

Hi its a brand new battery straight out of the pack, and I checked my other key to comfirm i put it in the right way.

with the key under my arm rest, the car does start but the lock and unlock and boot buttons dont work.

When the original battery went flat did it give you warnings on the DIS that the key battery was low or did it just stop working and you assumed it was flat? Either your new battery is duff or your key is.

Realized i forgot to take the little sticker off the battery :sleepy:. Working fine now

Awesome, thanks - couldn't face another trip to dealers as was only serviced 2 weeks ago and predictably key wasn't showing battery replacement then.
The batteries in both remotes should be replaced at every warranty service at no charge.

Dingah