Anyone picked up a new Audi S3 with OPF filter?

Good to hear the engine still feels good. Read the top gear review of the facelift tt roadster earlier and it said the 245 (compared to the old 230) now felt strangled, too quiet and had lost it 2000rpm kick of torque which sounds a shame as the wifes tt has a brilliant exhaust note with much loader pops and bangs than my 310 s3

Reactions: Jcbmally
Good to hear the engine still feels good. Read the top gear review of the facelift tt roadster earlier and it said the 245 (compared to the old 230) now felt strangled, too quiet and had lost it 2000rpm kick of torque which sounds a shame as the wifes tt has a brilliant exhaust note with much loader pops and bangs than my 310 s3
Yeah, feels every bit as potent as the 310 IMO mate.

Reactions: loftylad and Paul finch
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on how different the car is in terms of sound as I’ve just heard the New R8 with the filter on it and it’s so quiet All the pops and bangs have gone. Wandering if the S3 will lose Its DSG upshift noise too?

I have watched numerous youtube videos of the new face lifted R8 and it still sounds out of this world..........is this the R8 model your referring too hope not because it aint in the showrooms yet

Reactions: Chris S 1245
I have watched numerous youtube videos of the new face lifted R8 and it still sounds out of this world..........is this the R8 model your referring too hope not because it aint in the showrooms yet
Yeah mate But the Superloud Pops and Bangs have gone Which was a good selling point for the R8. It Sounds so muted now Like The New Rs4/5 No loud pops and bangs on the over run that’s what made me love the last Gen R8 V10 .

Another plus point, the tips are not getting sooted up lol :rockwoot:

Reactions: Paul finch and Tej13
I've owned a 2015 s3 and now a week old 2019 s3.The new one is very quiet even in dynamic with no pop's or bangs,though I'm only at 700 miles.
I'm sorry to say but it sounds just like a normal 1.8/2.0 tis engine.
I have a four week old 2019 s3 got around 1000 miles on it now and I’m disappointed with the noise, having heard the previous models I thought it would be the same, dealer told me the fact it’s gone down to 300ps from 310 wouldn’t make a difference as they’ve made changes in other areas to counter that. (Should have known that’s a load of ********) can you tell me how it compares performance wise with your previous 2015 model as to me mine just doesn’t feel that quick. Beginning to think I should have gone for the Bmw 140i which was coming in cheaper too

I have a four week old 2019 s3 got around 1000 miles on it now and I’m disappointed with the noise, having heard the previous models I thought it would be the same, dealer told me the fact it’s gone down to 300ps from 310 wouldn’t make a difference as they’ve made changes in other areas to counter that. (Should have known that’s a load of ********) can you tell me how it compares performance wise with your previous 2015 model as to me mine just doesn’t feel that quick. Beginning to think I should have gone for the Bmw 140i which was coming in cheaper too
If you're still within the 31 days you could return it... although now I've read you've done 1000 miles actually it's probably a bit late.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mine is on 2400 miles now and it definitely as quick as the 2018 one. Like you I was disappointed when I first got it but now its slackened up its a great car. I'm sure they install software to ensure the car is prevented from going balls out from 0 miles (just my opinion). The mpg has improved from mid 20's to 31/32 mpg so get a few more miles on it and it will improve. As for the noise I have stated in other threads that I like it, a bit more civilised but still sounds good IMHO.

Reactions: Paul finch, listers_socks and JimmyMcGee
Had a new S3 over today for a duel channel Dashcam installation and a coding session and was shocked with how quiet it was. My 2017 A3 2.0TFSI is noticeably louder!

Where is this particulate filter located and is it easy to remove?

Where is this particulate filter located and is it easy to remove?

It's on the downpipe. The design of the OPF downpipe is completely different from the pre OPF pipe, so you can't just buy a downpipe removed from a pre GPF car. You will likely need:
either a complete "turbo-back" replacement exhaust system, or you could cut the filters out and get some replacement pipes welded in. A remap may also be required.

Removal would be an automatic MOT fail, and welded pipes would be an obvious mod.

There is more technical info on this thread on VW forum https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30191-golf-r-2019-wltp-particulate-filter-details/.

Basically as i understand it technically a cat-back will be fine as a blot on but not necessarily existing ones (but needs confirming - Milltek for example have confirmed to me they havent had a WLTP compliant car in to check fitment on their systems).

Tuners will need to come up with a relevant map if the OPF is to be removed as there are sensors after it.

Reactions: ST3V
Also a good read here - https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30203-golf-r-2019-wltp-looses-mpi-dual-injection/page/24/

In it they state that other VAG cars suffering similar changes have had the current res delete fitting without issue, they mention a return of noise back to pre-wltp. But i think that would need to be confirmed.

"Just read on the Seat forum today an owner with a 290 WLTP Cupra who had the resonator from factory had the normal vagsport res delete done no problem. Brings back the pre WLTP noise"

Reactions: ST3V
Someone needs to hurry up and get a res delete to see if it works!

I've received my res delete from BCS , just waiting for confirmation if it'll fit?

If anyone could let me know, or send me a photo of the underside of their car and I'll compare it to the Pre-PPF/GPF S3.

Ok I have checked under my car and i am 95% it will fit
mine is a 2019 S3 Exhaust looks pretty much the same

Reactions: IgorFB
Also a good read here - https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30203-golf-r-2019-wltp-looses-mpi-dual-injection/page/24/

In it they state that other VAG cars suffering similar changes have had the current res delete fitting without issue, they mention a return of noise back to pre-wltp. But i think that would need to be confirmed.

"Just read on the Seat forum today an owner with a 290 WLTP Cupra who had the resonator from factory had the normal vagsport res delete done no problem. Brings back the pre WLTP noise"

Res delete won't do it for a lot of us. I'm going to hope for companies to develop a remap quickly so I can fit a new downpipe and remove this ****** filter

Yes I agree but the res delete should give us some noise back let’s hope so.

Someone will change one out soon and we will all know pretty quickly

My assumption (but this is Audi) is that there will be a new downpipe with OPF's etc that replace the existing one but will be similar size/dimensions. It will mean new maps for tuning etc but should mean other existing exhaust parts fit around it. Would make no sense to change the entire system design but you never know...

Steady there, 300hp car "doesn't feel quick"?! It will still see off 99% of others cars on the road imho.

TX.

Reactions: John Pilkington and Jcbmally
Had a new S3 over today for a duel channel Dashcam installation and a coding session and was shocked with how quiet it was. My 2017 A3 2.0TFSI is noticeably louder!
O/T but you heard my RS4 last year afaik and I'm sure you'll agree it is almost silent! Real shame that the manufacturers are being forced down this route. Imho they should offer upgrades at the dealership, still warranty friendly, to sort this out.

TX.

Reactions: John Pilkington and Jcbmally
Ok I have checked under my car and i am 95% it will fit
mine is a 2019 S3 Exhaust looks pretty much the same

Thanks!

Yes I agree but the res delete should give us some noise back let’s hope so.

Someone will change one out soon and we will all know pretty quickly

I've got my kit sitting here, going to get in touch with the local garage and see when they can do it.

Can anyone confirm the MY19 has a resonator to delete? It doesn't look like the Golf R has a resonator anymore

O/T but you heard my RS4 last year afaik and I'm sure you'll agree it is almost silent! Real shame that the manufacturers are being forced down this route. Imho they should offer upgrades at the dealership, still warranty friendly, to sort this out.

TX.
Indeed I remember, was at VAG at the Manor and I actually had to confirm that you had in fact started the engine as it was soooooo quite!

Reactions: oli356 and Terminator x
I can confirm my MY19 does have a middle resonator

File too large to post but it is there

Reactions: listers_socks and OliS3
I can confirm my MY19 does have a middle resonator

File too large to post but it is there

That is interesting, could explain why the Golf R video seemed to show a different exhaust note to those reviews from those who have the MY19 car. As noted the R apparently doesn’t have a resonator now.

Reactions: OliS3
Contacted the garage, just waiting to see if they'll have time to install the res delete this saturday.

Steady there, 300hp car "doesn't feel quick"?! It will still see off 99% of others cars on the road imho.

TX.
I don’t know whether it’s because the power delivery is so smooth but with my previous car being a c250 diesel I was expecting to get in the s3 and be shot in to my seat under acceleration but imo it’s quite tame

I don’t know whether it’s because the power delivery is so smooth but with my previous car being a c250 diesel I was expecting to get in the s3 and be shot in to my seat under acceleration but imo it’s quite tame
They need a remap or tuning box to feel that alive

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I wonder if it'll be as utterly pointless as DPF's..

Reactions: Chris S 1245
can anyone with the new audi s3 2019 upload a sound video?

Are you sure, I hear nothing, naff all.
Mine does, specifically in Dynamic mode. a "whoomph" noise is the best description I can give.

Reactions: loftylad