Anyone one tried one of these downpipes?

What I don't understand is why you csn buy a cat back milltek system on eBay for roughly £450 but a turbo back, which is either decat or sportscat, for between £900-1200.

What's so special about the milltek down pipe for it to be that price.

This eBay decat is 3" bore and by looking at the photos reduces down to a 2.75" bore which is the perfect size for a milltek system which is also 2.75" bore.

However, if you were to buy the cobra system, which is 3" bore, you'd have to hack the reducer off the eBay down pipe/decat to make it a complete 3" bore system.

Maybe milltek have 2.75" systems for a reason, it is after all a tested product and is proven to provide the extra power. Someone with experience would have to give advise on wether a 3" bore system would create too much back pressure thus not providing the power that the milltek system is capable of.

Cobra Sport Audi S3 8P (3 Door) Cat Back Exhaust System (Non-Resonated) (AU07) | eBay

Cheaper than a milltek cat back, its also 3" Non res. Cheapest cat back I've seen for the S3. No idea what the sound or quality is like though...

Doesn't sound massively different from a milltek i thought, maybe a little quieter?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was heavily into Vauxhalls and all this tuning lark a 3inch was generally considered more beneficial than the 2.5 and 2.75 exhaust. Obviously each car is different though. I think it also depends what state of tune your car is.

Im planning stage 2+ and leaving it there, I dont want to go too mad on an expensive car and leave myself with big bills.

This and a centre and rear box would be a full system yes, so it is a more cost effective exersize.

Granta where are you located?

I'm in surrey mate near cobham (junction 10 m25)

What I don't understand is why you csn buy a cat back milltek system on eBay for roughly £450 but a turbo back, which is either decat or sportscat, for between £900-1200.

What's so special about the milltek down pipe for it to be that price.

This eBay decat is 3" bore and by looking at the photos reduces down to a 2.75" bore which is the perfect size for a milltek system which is also 2.75" bore.

However, if you were to buy the cobra system, which is 3" bore, you'd have to hack the reducer off the eBay down pipe/decat to make it a complete 3" bore system.

Maybe milltek have 2.75" systems for a reason, it is after all a tested product and is proven to provide the extra power. Someone with experience would have to give advise on wether a 3" bore system would create too much back pressure thus not providing the power that the milltek system is capable of.

Doesn't sound massively different from a milltek i thought, maybe a little quieter?

Thats a resonated de-cat though, sure the non res would sound better! No idea, but I'm sure they know what they're doing, just not as big a name as milltek i guess, still a UK made product with a lifetime warranty at ~£350 less the price of the nearest competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a resonated de-cat though, sure the non res would sound better! No idea, but I'm sure they know what they're doing, just not as big a name as milltek i guess, still a UK made product with a lifetime warranty at ~£350 less the price of the nearest competition.

Says in the description "Audi S3 8P Turbo-back system with de-cat and non-resonated." However, I'm guessing by going from that you pay the extra for the milltek just for the noise, just like you pay the extra over any other for the supersprint for the noise.

Fitment is crucial for a 3" DP, Milltek now bundle a lower engine mount in to combat issues with the DP knocking on the transmission tunnel. Also of importance is the length and quality of the flexi section as this takes a lot of abuse on hard launches. I'm not knocking the other DP but it's not all about price sometimes.

My car was used as development for cobra for this system. I have had no problems what so ever since having the exhaust on which has been around a year now. Top quality service aswell.
Only thing they don't do an exhaust tip like the milltek special pipes

S3 th, what stage are you running on your car?

Stage 2 plus. I couldn't see the video yesterday but that's my s3 in the video. It's a resonated system.

Cobra are very good quality and very popular amongst the VXR scene. BCS are even better as they use slightly better grade stainless steel and the welds arent prone to cracking. Slightly more expensive than Cobra but cheaper than a Milltek and from the exhausts that I've had delivered here, IMO the best exhaust to fit to an S3.

They do both a resonated, non-res and also the powervalve system for the S3

Last edited:
Can someone clear this up for me as exhaust parts isnt my strong point.... Will fitting a de-cat not be illegal and the car would fail emmisions tests and therefore any upcoming Mot...?

So would some form of high flow cat or sports cat not be required to go with this!? And then after that a catback system would alsk be needed no!? To create a full turbo back system!?

and can anyone confirm that you could mix and match sections from different manufacturers for a custom turbo back exhaust!?

It would not legaly be able to run on the road but people find kind mot. Testers ! You would normally always find the car in the downpipe as it has to be so hot for it to work properly

De cat will fail an MOT legally, sports cat will not fail an MOT.