Anyone mapped a pd140 that made siron noise and would occasionlly go into limp mode?

OhSoFresh

Reaction score
In two minds weather mapping my pd140 with 120k on clock will blow my turbo. It makes siron noise and some people say they all do it but also goes into limp mode when tanning it up steep hills. Anyway to test? Maybe check play in fins?

Sicky vanes possibly?
Need to scan it to get the fault codes.

I would agree, overboosting due to vanes clogged more than likely, be very careful because, if they stick hard the turbo will go pop.

We've removed a number of them & cleaned because of this, all been fine afterwards.

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
It's not a good idea to remap a car with those issues. It's going into limp mode because it's overboosting, the ECU is protecting the turbo by going into limp mode.
If it's mapped it will be working even harder and is more liable to go pop.
Sort the limp mode problem first then get it mapped.

My turbo went to the great scrapyard in the sky, but I fear it was on its way out anyway.

I upgraded my turbo to a hybrid and haven't looked back since!

Reactions: Mindak
I agree with the above, sort the underlying issues first. A remap will accelerate wear on a part that was going to break anyway...

You should remove the turbo from the car and soak it overnight to clean it properly, I doubt a spray can fully clean it.

Yeah but seems a lot of hassle for nowt. I can get a new turbo for 250 maze well buy a new one and fit it to remove old one and find it's ******. It's at least a 6 hour job to remove turbo and clean it and put it back on. Drop subframe leave rack where it is

you really think this £250 turbo you're getting is new and reliable?

Go to a third world country (like Bosnia and Herzegovina, as that's where I live) and you can pay a certified turbo service to take it apart, clean and make you a hybrid turbo for 200-250 Euros. :D

Thats what happened for me on bkd with 216k km on clock :(

DGilaOV.jpg
te9RU1o.jpg

Ouch, I think that will need a little work to rebalance that one .

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist and Sayam
Whew, there were no other damage done... Very lucky. The turbo had very loud metal sound after adding throttle and then releasing... No blue smoke and etc.

Soon as I heard the siren noise I parked mine up and booked in for a hybrid worth every penny and is now producing 214bhp, I didn't risk it! Lol

Soon as I heard the siren noise I parked mine up and booked in for a hybrid worth every penny and is now producing 214bhp, I didn't risk it! Lol

Did you upgrade your clutch as well mate? Because my clutch is slipping like mad in 4th, 5th and 6th gear :D

Fortunately mines holding up well but if it's already slipping it will only get worse as so much more torque!

I hear a lot of story's that people have run there cars with siron noise for years. That they have replace turbo and it's still there. That some cars do it from factory.... Really don't know what to do I want to upgrade turbo or least get a new stock one but I'm so skint :(

After my turbo failure I installed another used, but in ideal condition. There was no siren sound for about two weeks (~1500km) and now the sound is here once again. System was cleaned up by the all requirements and etc... Don't know what to do...

Seems to be very random. I am running 220bhp with insane stock turbo pressure and it is holding up very well.

Strange that when cruizing at 2000rpm turbo is getting like off for a sec and then comes back. Is it VNT problem?

I had a mk3 golf TDI and it went into limp mode going up hills as well. Turned out to be a dirty MAF. No idea if this could be the same issue on your car though.

I had a mk3 golf TDI and it went into limp mode going up hills as well. Turned out to be a dirty MAF. No idea if this could be the same issue on your car though.

In limp mode turbo is shut of until engine restart with MIL when overboosting.

Strange that when cruizing at 2000rpm turbo is getting like off for a sec and then comes back. Is it VNT problem?

It could be the carbon buildup on vanes, yeah.

This can be an issue as well due to MAF being dirty and causing more pressure in the intake, at which point the ECU will discover that the pressure has exceeded the SVBL (single value boost limit) and the turbo will shut off, causing the limp mode.

My car has gone into limp mode only once in a lifetime, the outside temperature was 40 degrees Celsius (so the athmospheric pressure was higher than usual), the turbo was forcing additional pressure and combined it went over SVBL.

Sad, that it's not possible to record the scary sound of the turbo when the throttle is released...

Yesterday I tried to inspect the sound and noticed that when adding throttle up to 2.5k rpm ant releasing it, feels like the intake air is getting back into the air filter...

Last edited by a moderator: