Q7 Anyone know what this noise is?

CHRIS555559999

Reaction score
Hello all,

Started having a few problems with my Q7 a few weeks back, sluggish starting etc, thought it was the battery on its last feet, then car stopped, over heated slightly and made a little screech sound, was also difficult to restart.

Took it to garage was told the serpentine belt and crankshaft pulley needed to be replaced, they have done this and it has sorted the all the above issues out but now has developed this loud ticking and screaming and knocking noise, its so loud its unbearable.

Ive posted a link to the video as I did not how to post it on here, any advice would be greatly appreciated or if you have seen this issue before yourselves so I know what my next step is.

Thanks in advance the video is here:

I would guess a bad idler pulley or a bent guide or pulley. The idler pulley, if not OEM, would be my first guess. I had a belt noise, not like this one, but same frequency, the belt had a wide spot in it.

I would guess a bad idler pulley or a bent guide or pulley. The idler pulley, if not OEM, would be my first guess. I had a belt noise, not like this one, but same frequency, the belt had a wide spot in it.
Hi Stacey,

Do you know what number the idler pulley is on the diagram and what is the guide, ive changed the belt and the crankshaft pulley and ended up with that noise, appreciate any help thanks!

There are 2 plastic pulleys, both have the tensioning job. On the 2.0 TDI one is on the drivers side and one is lower center, you can see the tensioning arm. You change the crank pulley? That could be it, they have to be on 100% correctly, aligned to the chaft and perfectly seated and torqued.

There are 2 plastic pulleys, both have the tensioning job. On the 2.0 TDI one is on the drivers side and one is lower center, you can see the tensioning arm. You change the crank pulley? That could be it, they have to be on 100% correctly, aligned to the chaft and perfectly seated and torqued.
Thanks Stacey, mines the 3.0 tdi engine.