Anyone know what this is

Dan ormondroyd

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is just fallen off my car?

Attachments

• 56AA5894-F226-41F0-BFF9-18F8E8FF5319.jpeg
    56AA5894-F226-41F0-BFF9-18F8E8FF5319.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 298
  • 1DBC922F-3EE0-4564-A34D-6286E23B6271.jpeg
    1DBC922F-3EE0-4564-A34D-6286E23B6271.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 295
Not essential as you still have jacking points on the sill. You could just shove it back in the hole with some araldite adhesive or suchlike .

Is that not just the cover for the jacking point area?

I thought the jacking point was a bulky 2 part item?

Cover off the Four post lifting point.

Wouldn’t advise trolley jacking from just 1 off them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: N.J.H
No harm in jacking there to place a jack stand at the pinch weld. Probably not advisable to leave it on a trolly jack there for a long period as it might distort the grommet by jacking form one side only I suppose.

Floor pan isn’t designed for the car to be lifted from one of those single points.
All four in conjunction with a four / two post yes as it spreads the load.

Reactions: N.J.H
It’s not the floor pan under there mate. It’s a reinforced section specifically for jacking.
View attachment 207474

Floor pan or not I’ve been told by a mechanic friend it’s not for jacking the car from a trolley jack.
The four points are for one simultaneous lift so the load is spread

I apologise, I shouldn't be sarky. You're right, he does outrank me, I was only a mechanic for 12 years. A lot of MQB chassis folks jacking their cars all wrong I guess. Stick to the pinch welds if you have any concerns about using these points.

I haven’t got any concerns because I don’t use them and never will.

Plenty of discussion on this very forum about them.

Official Audi procedure for non E-Tron & G-Tron A3

All indicate lifting from the reinforced cill sections.

2c6ca8e23bf1fa696e34f7c65c702ec4.plist

542f29c9928e420247a95b53d4e30502.jpg

Of course lifting form the sills is the prescribed method, no argument there mate. Most MBQ cars don't have the jacking point pads that we do on our cars, but many add them so they can have the convenience. Don't think anyone has reported their car bending in half yet ;)

Not me anyway
911df070d023ea6b9b6111b72ba6466e.jpg

Reactions: S32B
Regarding lifting from the reinforced sill position... do you place the jack on the actual welded seam, or should you use something on the jack to apply the load either side of the seam (like one of those rigid rubber 'pucks' with the channel cut out of them)?

I have always used a 'puck' on my A3's when using a trolley jack to protect the paint/underseal in that area I have never had to use the oe jack. I would thoroughly recommend a 'Puck'

As an aside my current S3 came with a steel scissor Jack in the boot, whereas for several A3's now they have all had an aluminum contraption, what have others got in there boot???

I have always used a 'puck' on my A3's when using a trolley jack to protect the paint/underseal in that area I have never had to use the oe jack. I would thoroughly recommend a 'Puck'

As an aside my current S3 came with a steel scissor Jack in the boot, whereas for several A3's now they have all had an aluminum contraption, what have others got in there boot???

Yes, I understand about using something to protect the paint/underseal, but that's not actually what I meant - the question is do you use something to apply the pressure to either side of the seam, or just push against the actual tip of the seam??

Yes, I understand about using something to protect the paint/underseal, but that's not actually what I meant - the question is do you use something to apply the pressure to either side of the seam, or just push against the actual tip of the seam??

I think the best solution is a puck with a cut in the middle, so the main load is spread either side of the seam, with the depth of the cut being about the depth of the seam.

Yeah, that does seem logical to me, but I sense we are all guessing really! I'm sure the car will have been designed to take the weight one way or another, but it never specifies this anywhere... or at least no where I've seen.

I bought a thick-ish puck, about 3" diameter ( can't remember where from ) and cut out a slot for the seam.
Works a treat with the boot jack or my trolley jack.

I think that you are right, the sill is designed to take the weight of the car vertically through the seam, I do not know what the construction is like inside it but assume that there is a vertical piece of steel which takes the weight and the formed sections of the sill we can see hold that piece straight for strength.
I bought my 'Puck' off ebay and it already had the groove machined into it sold for 'Audi' - it wasn't much, the groove is not as deep as the projection at the bottom of the sill so it gets compressed before any load is applied to the curved sections we can see. I have used mine many times on many VW cars Lupo, Golfs, A3s and A4s so have tested it quite extensively. I think the grove is more for location and works well as that.
Having said that because lifting on any paint represents a risk of damage I will always chose a subframe, wishbone etc. and quickly support the body on several substantial blocks of timber, again because I feel axle stands present the risk of damaging the body if not protected.

I think that you are right, the sill is designed to take the weight of the car vertically through the seam, I do not know what the construction is like inside it but assume that there is a vertical piece of steel which takes the weight and the formed sections of the sill we can see hold that piece straight for strength.
I bought my 'Puck' off ebay and it already had the groove machined into it sold for 'Audi' - it wasn't much, the groove is not as deep as the projection at the bottom of the sill so it gets compressed before any load is applied to the curved sections we can see. I have used mine many times on many VW cars Lupo, Golfs, A3s and A4s so have tested it quite extensively. I think the grove is more for location and works well as that.
Having said that because lifting on any paint represents a risk of damage I will always chose a subframe, wishbone etc. and quickly support the body on several substantial blocks of timber, again because I feel axle stands present the risk of damaging the body if not protected.
Yes, I think that's a really good point about the groove being for locating it, rather than to apply the load either side of the seam. I've got a couple of those pucks for my axle stands as well - they compress a lot, but it prevents metal to metal contact between the stands and any part of the car.