Anyone know about computers?

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to reformat my hard drive using the Sony Vaio recovery discs, when i reboot the Laptop with the first disc in the drive its meant to start the disc automatically but it doesn't.

The DVD drive does work because when i am in windows and click on the CD it comes up with 'to use this recovery cd please reboot computer with disc in drive'.

Anyone know what i can do?

You need to re-set the boot options. At the moment it will be set to HDD first and as your windows is still ok, it is booting straight in.

You will need to set your CD/DVD are the first boot option in the BIOS.

It is normally F8 or F2 (?), but google it using your laptops model number (if it doesnt already tell you on the splash screen).

Knowing the BIOS F (number), just reboot and keep tapping the correct F key. You can then access the BIOS and change the nooting priority.

Once done, just undo your steps.

I think..

I am sure that a techy will correct me if I am wrong.:angrymod:

The poster takes no responsibility for when your frag your laptop, or the impending doom from the mods for posting this in the BP section. :scared2::haha:

You need to re-set the boot options. At the moment it will be set to HDD first and as your windows is still ok, it is booting straight in.

You will need to set your CD/DVD are the first boot option in the BIOS.

It is normally F8 or F2 (?), but google it using your laptops model number (if it doesnt already tell you on the splash screen).

Knowing the BIOS F (number), just reboot and keep tapping the correct F key. You can then access the BIOS and change the nooting priority.

Once done, just undo your steps.

I think..

I am sure that a techy will correct me if I am wrong.:angrymod:

The poster takes no responsibility for when your frag your laptop, or the impending doom from the mods for posting this in the BP section. :scared2::haha:

No that's basically right. It's the F2 key on a Sony laptop to enter the BIOS.

sounds like your not set up to boot from cd/dvd. you need to access your bios to do this. check here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

once into your bios you need to have a look around and find your boot devices. once you found it you have to enable dvd/cd drive and then save your settings and reboot.

just posted this and you have two repiles beofre l pressed submit.

anyway, hope it helps.

I'm glad i didnt post an answer for the thanks. How very rude of you. Not part of your gang?

Yes, it has annoyed me.

P.S. I hope my advice worked.

just been into the bios setting and got it boot from the Cd rom drive, rebooted it and it came up with the message 'operating system not found...'

i have checked and the recovery discs are for this laptop.

any other ideas?

at the risk of stating the obvious, have you tryed booting with the other disc in? only 1 will work when booting up!

yeah i got number 1 disc in. there are 4 in total.

Sounds to me like boot order.

The CD/DVD will be bootable if its a "recovery disk", however some machines have a hidden parition which you can boot from i.e F11 or another F key. Just for arguments sake stick the disk one in check the boot order in bios then hit a fe F keys.

David

Maybe theres no need to go into the BIOS (for you own safety) Its a scary place for the uninitiated. Pressing F8 at boot should take you to boot options. As stated - make sure Disk 1 is in your drive, reboot, keep tapping f8, select dvd drive as 1st priority device.

If youve backed up all you want externally, i'd go for a fresh install rather than recovery.

Will the laptop boot into windows? Why are you trying to re-format? Have you not tried to repair the install first?

From what i remember about Vaio's those CD's sometimes need to be initialised in windows, running the CD from within windows first to execute the application and re-install the OS.

Other than that Sony have been known to include a Windows XP/Vista CD/DVD for installation, using the product key located on the underside of a laptop or the side of a PC case. Then you'd install the apps and drivers CD/DVD's.

Hope that helps?

G

Will the laptop boot into windows? Why are you trying to re-format? Have you not tried to repair the install first?

From what i remember about Vaio's those CD's sometimes need to be initialised in windows, running the CD from within windows first to execute the application and re-install the OS.

Other than that Sony have been known to include a Windows XP/Vista CD/DVD for installation, using the product key located on the underside of a laptop or the side of a PC case. Then you'd install the apps and drivers CD/DVD's.

Hope that helps?

G

Sony stopped including CD-ROM/DVD recovery discs a long time ago. Now you need to make the recovery discs yourself.

I have done a few recoveries recently on the last few VAIOs I have owned and the disc always boots without a problem. If changing the boot order doesn't work and you're sure it's disc 1 them maybe the disc is goosed!