Anyone here dealt with dodgy tenants?

Raiden

Reaction score
Just some people have no soul.

I rented a flat to a young couple about 2 years ago and they where really good. They signed up for 6 months but ended it early because she got pregnant. So the local council gave them a house due to over crowding.

With the deposit I said ill just deduct my costs to get LET out again and the few extra weeks you would of owed to which he agreed so out of there £690 they got back £420.

So Friday I get a letter from some no win no fee solicitor saying we want 4k because you never registered the deposit and you broke the law. OK fair enough but I gave them there money back and never had any issues with each other? And how the hell do you come up with 4k?

So my iphone still has all his imessages and number so I called him. After me hounding him he answers and I asked him what the score was? He said that I broke the law and I need to pay up. I asked him to I upset him or wrong him in anyway? He replied no to be honest you where a really good landlord but because this is a law I want your money, He then put the phone down!!!!

So you can then understand I was not a happy bunny. Cheeky tw@t!!!! Now i'm not big but he is half my size. And i'm to myself your a brave man pal. I called them back and she answered and thought it was funny.

Looking them up on fb and they have some stupid youtube channel talking about how they have a happy family life and you need to be like us. Its sad and quite cringe.

After watching a few crap videos I knew they would slip up!!!! They got a new and said what it was and the colour plus driving it out of there road I caught the road name. Plus on fb he put where he works (dumb ***)

question is am I screwed? I think just ignore it as I have bank records showing I paid him back. And at the end of the day how can you sue for money you got back????

Hi there sorry to say there are right by not putting the deposit in to a holding you did break the law. but its not all bad as the most there can claim is 3x the deposit. If this is your only prorety and first time of letting out if you go toa small claims then just repesent yourself as you didnt withhold back the depost as long as you have proof that you paid back the deposit with the deductions that were agreed. then chance are you will just get a warining or worst you have to pay 3x minius what you already paid.
did you give them a recipet for the deposit when taken?

Not a physical receipt but got text messages with emails agreeing what's to be paid and all the bank tractions between us. This morning I reported them to the council for child neglect. Stupid cow posted a video saying her mother is always drunk when watching the kids. How thick can you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i now ur ****** but i wouldnt get involed in tick for tac m8 not worth the hassle and stress

Reactions: sliced, Raiden and Ruhel
I know what you mean but I was so angry.

Hi mate i'd suggest checking out landlordzone, fellow landlords on there have been very helpful in situations like this.

Reactions: Raiden
I have found best way round this is don't take a deposit. Ask your tenants to get a guarantor that will cover any unpaid rent and damage just makes life much easier as you have another person usually a parent to lean on for them to lean on tenants to pay!

Reactions: Raiden
Funny enough got a letter from the courts this week. Date is March next year so that will be fun. Have to submit my evidence next week and hopefully whoever reads it will believe me and just chuck it out. But still tempted to kick his head in. So many lies in his statement of truth!!!!

Wondering how you got on with this?

I own my flat but the one below is rented out and it's the landlord who is dodgy. He will turn up unannounced, knock on the door, no reply so then he enters the property without the tenants permission. The last time this happened one of the tenants cats escaped and is still missing, so what some might say but the tenant clearly has learning difficulties and the cats mean so much to him, unforgiveable.

Long story but they kept lying to get more and more money out of me. 1 week before court (back in march) he decided to tell the truth which meant I would automatically lose in court but also his no win no fee solicitor wasn't getting what he was originally told by the tenant. To make it go away I paid the solicitor £2200 and the tenant paid £500 so it cost him in the end trying to lie. I was tempted to take my chances in court but it was 50/50 who would win.

Ok it cost me my holiday but the tenants are stuck in there council flat with no money and hiding from me.

The lies just got out of control it was unreal