anyone had this problem before?

MDA

sploorer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
hello
tonight i filled the car up £50 worth :( stuck the key in and it failed to start (key symbol flashing on dash)
in the end it started after shutting the drivers door and setting the alarm and unsetting it,
then when i tried it on the drive at home its done it again
and will not start at all the symbol is still flashing
ive disconnected the battery and ill have another go before work
the remote was working too before but ive checked the battery and now it also wont resync to the car..
ive tried my other key too and thats the same

any ideas please
matt

its a 2002 1.8 T manual

sounds like the reader coil in the ignition barrel might have gone, this happened quite a few times when I worked at an Audi dealer, will need a new barrel if I remember correctly...

The coil reads the immobiliser code from the key and then disables the immobiliser prior to start up...

definitely an immobiliser issue... only time I've had that was when I hadn't used that key for years.... remote worked, but it just flashed the little key symbol when I tried using the key.

Thanks for the replies it started perfectly this morning
I'm wondering if it was an interference issue
I've left it at home today I'll have a look over it tonight

I had an interface issue with an old Mk3 Golf I had a while back: contact points on either side of the key weren't sending the immobiliser signal and would only work a certain way around, but I think the Audi B6's send it differently (wirelessly?)... there's certainly no obvious contact points.

the locksmith came out
and had to reprogram both keys as both had lost their code !!
cost 135 Quid

anyone have any idea how it happened ? he said its unusual for audis to do it

i had the same problem would just randomly stop working but would unlock the car fine

changed the battery and its never done it since!!

ps thats the battery in the fob!

The problem came back again today called the AA who towed me to a garage
But while being towed with the ignition on after 20 minutes
The problem fixed itself again
I'm tempted to book the car into Audi to get it sorted
Or send the ecu off to have the immobiliser deleted from the ecu to cure it once and for all