Anyone had their clutch pedal welded when it's still attached?

jackpilk

Reaction score
I've had the dreaded clutch pedal snap on me before in my old Golf Mk4 years ago and again last year in my VR6 and it's a right pain to put right.

Anyway.. Has anyone had their clutch pedal tacked or welded to strengthen it whilst it's still attached to the car? Thinking about getting this done with the current S3 as the last two times it happened I couldn't have been in a worse place if I tried.

I haven't got the car with me else I'd go out and have a look.

Thanks

You'd be better off removing the pedal and the white plastic clip as one you will melt that clip and two you'll end up burning the carpet.

Just buy the kit and keep it spare it's happened to me 5 times!! My last four golfs and my Audi just sods law really worse was last year right before the Blackwall tunnel!!!

i removed mine to do it!

its very worth while doing it even if it hasnt happened
as you know its a right pain when it goes at a busy junction like what happened to me.

just be careful of the clutch switch, delicate.

Thank's for the advice. It'l be coming off soon then to get it done.

I know it's dead annoying, I thought someone had fired a gun when my last one went!

What's all this about?

I'd like to think there is very little which is new to me when it comes to 8L's. But I've literally never head of a clutch pedal snapping.

Is this like some common problem or something?

What's all this about?

I'd like to think there is very little which is new to me when it comes to 8L's. But I've literally never head of a clutch pedal snapping.

Is this like some common problem or something?

Yep this has been around for years, mk4 golf, 8L A3, Seat Leon, even Seat 6K ibiza and so on.........

Redirect Notice

You haven't lived mate.

You're right, I haven't. Because I've spent all my time ******* about with cars :drag:

So come on then, what's all this clutch pedal jazz? I have just done some fishing around and found a fair few threads full of people going on about bits of plastic being broken. But haven't got a scooby what this is actually about.

Yep this has been around for years, mk4 golf, 8L A3, Seat Leon, even Seat 6K ibiza and so on.........

Redirect Notice

That looks properly rubbish, seems strange.

I don't know anybody who's had this problem and I've never even heard of it, and I've got 10's of friends with 8L/Mk4's and have been all over them like a rash for years.

Ho hum, you learn something new every day. Mines fine so I couldn't care less haha.

you and your mates have been lucky jardo.

i knew of it happening when i bought my car, then a couple months after bang, straight to the floor.

theres a section of the peddle which pushes a little rod and its just spot welded so the welds break and bend back. i had mine properly welded all over so no chance of it bending.

you'l notice creaking noises before it goes

I know of quite a few people it's happened too. I'm doing mine on the weekend that as well as the pick up pipe.

Mine snapped yesterday, at a roundabout in the middle of town! Heard it crack once and then it snapped next time I tried to change gear....luckily I was less than a mile from my destination so I limped it home. It seems the little plate has snapped off and I'll just get it welded up and I'm back on the road. Seems like every common fault these cars have is happening to me!!

Mine snapped a few months ago with the Mrs driving back from work leaving her stranded at a roundabout, luckily not to far from home.
I managed to use a couple of bolts through the holes on the pedal with the "ball" on the end of the little rod between them as a temp repair to get it home.
Repair is fairly straight forward. When I purchased the bits from Guildford Audi, the guy at the parts desk advised me that the reason the pedal snapped was a weak weld HOWEVER this was designed like this in case of an accident. The pedal should snap (rather than your ankle or shin) to the floor.
Increasing the strength of this by welding would render this not happening and could cause serious injury to your legs so beware of this when welding your pedal

Mark

I welded mine in position on my old GTI, you need to disconnect the battery and put something on the floor so you don't melt your carpet, it's a bit of a squeeze under there, but much easier than removing it.

did audi ever revise the part on later models or are all revisions the same ?

I've started getting a creak from my original clutch pedal. At 180k miles and almost 14 years old now I think I'm going to get a new one fitted. As above, is the part revised or is it still worth welding the new pedal to make it stronger?

Mine snapped at 110k. Local garage welded it for me.

I've started getting a creak from my original clutch pedal. At 180k miles and almost 14 years old now I think I'm going to get a new one fitted. As above, is the part revised or is it still worth welding the new pedal to make it stronger?
Kudos :salute:

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Parts required for mine were

bb9df563612e40455200e1dbb301dc8a.jpg

Hope this helps

I didn't weld mine in the end it was beyond repair and I realize they are designed like that for a reason so just bought and fitted a new one. I also changed my brake switch as this was starting to play up.

They are designed to snap in an accident, so you don't snap your ancle instead.