Anyone had Stop/Start issues?

Brownie78

Reaction score
Website
www.mattbrownphotography.co.uk
Picked up my A3 2.0 TDI S Line on Friday and while I absolutely love it to bits I'm really nervous with the whole stop/start thing.

I've had three separate occasions where I thought I'd stalled and in fact it was the stop/start system cutting in, for example when turning right at a big set of traffic lights, creeping forward in first, go to change to second and between gears the engine cut.

Does it just take a bit of getting used to or am I doing something wrong/missing something? I know it can be turned off but would quite like to use it really.....

If you are sure you are moving when changing from 1st to 2nd the engine should not go into the stop phase of start/stop as you have the clutch engaged, therefore it sounds like a fault and trip to the dealer.

Maybe you had stalled. If you do stall it will automatically start again. Note that you will get the green 'A' symbol on the dash when the start/stop has activated.

As the other reply states, it won't stop between gears as in theory you would have the clutch in. To stop automatically you must be stationary and out of gear with the clutch out.

Maybe a fault then, I'm pretty sure I hadn't stalled and I seem to recall the green A symbol, I'll see how I get on over the next week or so and if it continues I'll pay the dealer a visit.

Sounds like a stall to me too, had this a couple of times and actually find it quite handy rather than starting the traditional way after a stall. Its my first diesel car and have noticed you need to change from 1st to 2nd a bit later than i would in my old petrol.

Assuming of course that you aren't double declutching... That might confuse it :)

Assuming it's a manual then the stop/start ONLY engages when the car is in neutral and you let the clutch out.

If the engine is cutting out under any other circumstances then either you stalled it or there's a fault.

May demo car did this a couple of time but it just takes a couple of weeks to get used to. Like all modern systems that do a bit of thinking for us we have to understand how they think too.

Btw, you'll know if the stop start is working if you turn on your air con really cold and then try the stop start system it won't be active.
If you drive around town and find your engine cutting out its you stalling.

I've covered quite a few more miles now and am now definitely thinking it was me stalling as it hasn't happened again! Just the issue with a running light out and a brake/suspension warning light on now to sort......