RSQ3 Anyone gone from S3 to an RSQ3

Brett Butler

Reaction score
Website
www,brettbutler.co.uk
I have a 2010 S3 and looking to upgrade, like the S3 Saloon, but also tempted by an RSQ3, as there are some good deals to be had on an RSQ3, by time you have spec'ed both up there is not a great deal of difference in prices, as seems little discounts on S3 Saloons

Mostly the difference in ride, and body roll being a higher body jacked up?

Thoughts please

Not bought a RSQ3 but moved on from my 8V S3 sportback to a SQ5. I would strongly recommend you have a test drive in a SQ5. I love mine. RS performance with 35 - 40mpg. You can have your cake and eat it! Not avsilable yet but have a lok at the preview pics in EVO of the SQ5 Plus. I drove the RSQ3 but came away underwhelmed imho.

Nothing wrong with the performance but I drove the RSQ3 on a driving day organised by my local dealer. The vehicles were supplied by Audi UK so it had probably been well rogered in its short life. The car was noisy and didn't feel stable. You'd soon get used to a SQ5 if you did opt for that. It isnt ss big as it looks and the driving experience of the twin turbo v6 is fantastic. You could probably get a great deal at this time of year too.

Hi Guys,

I've just Swapped my 2014 S3 Saloon for a Brand New RSQ3 340PS & its absolutely amazing!

I thought my S3 Saloon looked Fantastic inside & out, but I just couldn't live with that 2.0 Litre Engine, as it just didn't give me a 'Buzz' to Drive! It was Quick & very Economical to be honest, but the Engine/Exhaust note was very 'Manufactured'.............just wasn't for me!

As for the RSQ3, it has awesome Power, Sounds mega, Handles surprisingly well & in my Opinion, its better looking than the New RS3.............I find those very Bland looking & I just cant get my head round the 'Unsporty' Sportback shape!

I also looked at the SQ5 & as smokeymike said, its a nice Car. Personally, I did'nt feel that it looked as Sporty as the RSQ3 though, I really did'nt want a Diesel either + on a Resale factor, the 'RS' Brand Cars usually hold the money noticeably better than the 'S' Brand Cars!

Last edited:
Thanks @AudiBoy1976 I understand what you mean over the 2.0 litre engine, just miss the torque you want to just floor it and it goes.
How are you finding fuel consumption, compared to the S3?
Do you have the Rs Sports suspension with damper control? if not, how is it on the road in general?
I am really stuck at, I love the S3 Saloon in looks and running costs etc. and can get one at a decent price, offer 11.1% discount so far. factory build
RSQ3 is great a lot of money but deals to be had, but I cannot find one with the right spec, so means a factory build.
I like the Idea of the SQ5, it is bigger maybe, but I can take the deisal out of the business, but it is dated platform, to be replaced next year, the SQ5 Plus is out anytime, but more money and means a factory build with no discount.

Cant make up my mind, and getting fed up with it tbh :(

Regarding Fuel Consumption, I was up near Great Yarmouth last Weekend & from there to Leicestershire, the RSQ3 only used just over a 1/4 of a Tank, so I was pretty Impressed with that!
I went to South Wales from Leicestershire, in my S3 Saloon & that used just over a 1/4 of a Tank as well, so I wouldn't say there's much in it during Long Distances!

The Dated design of the SQ5 was another thing that put me off it, with it still having the old style Front end/Headlights & the built in Sat Nav Display in the dash...........very similar dash to the old A6! Dont get me wrong, the SQ5 is still a brilliant Car!

I originally Test Drove the older 310PS RSQ3 & I found it a cracking Car, but the New 340PS version is a vast Improvement in so many ways!

Last edited:
I've owned an RSQ3 for 12 months moving from a 62 plate S3 Stronic Sportback.

I live in a rural area in the Scottish Borders so it's driven largely on twisty roads with a few motorway runs up and down the M6 and A1 every month.

The S3 carries a lot more corner speed but the RS is a quicker car on the overtake and straight line speed, there is a bit of roll in corners compared to the S3 but the RS puts a bigger smile on my face. Sitting that bit higher in the RS lets you read ahead a better on the twisty roads as well.

I don't go off the fuel consumption data in the car I use the Road Trip App and the RS is currently averaging 26.3 MPG, the best overall I have had on a fill to fill run has been 33.9 and that was on a run down from Fort William to home in May.

The S3 averaged 29.3 MPG the best run I had from that was 34.5 which was mostly motorway driving.

Reactions: Brett Butler
I have went from an 8V S3, to an RSQ3 to an SQ5. All good in different ways and of course everyone has their perspective, here is mine if it helps.

S3 - I will spend less time here as whilst it was lovely looking especially inside, it bored me and I personally found it under steered too much for my liking.

RSQ3 - the noise, acceleration and the brakes were all excellent. The noise especially I really liked. It did roll a little more for sure but generally was much more fun and aggressive looking than the S3. I just didn't get on with the quilted diamond pattern seats, they were a little too neat for me and irked me daily, and overall it was just a bit small for my needs. (Wife has a q3), Anyhow it became a "convenient" excuse and so I am now in an SQ5.

SQ5 - I really like the look, the engine performance and again the brakes are great and economy is good for such performance. This one is mythos black with the 21"s and I love how it looks, drives and rides. It is well spec'd and the pano roof really helps, but, no doubt the interior is dated, nice, but dated, the tech pack high is old looking and silly things like no USB etc show the age.

So, it's horses for courses I guess, I also have 2 dogs so the bigger SQ5 boot with the lowered ride means it is way better for them than the RSQ, but again not a consideration for everyone.

Cheers

As for the RSQ3, it has awesome Power, Sounds mega, Handles surprisingly well & in my Opinion, its better looking than the New RS3.............I find those very Bland looking & I just cant get my head round the 'Unsporty' Sportback shape!

so what shape do you think the RSQ3 is?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2vtxjcy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• audi-sd234d-rs3-12s-3.JPG
    audi-sd234d-rs3-12s-3.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 470
Reactions: monopole
Well Rs 3 and RSQ3 might look similar from the top, but the bottom half not exactly the same is it.
I had a good sit in the RS Q3 and nose around, was not to impressed tbh, looks more plastic'y than my 2010 S3.
when I sat in the SQ5 there is quite a difference interior in quality, just oozes quality, great steering wheel and fit.

Still cannot make up mind, and now with all this emissions crap, might wait a little longer and hopefuuly next quarter a few more targets need meeting to get a better deals on SQ5's but might wait till new Plus is out etc.
then there is the new model,
I did look around at some other makes, and they seem over priced or under powered, so back to Audi
Ohh ***** this is a nightmare

so what shape do you think the RSQ3 is?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2vtxjcy.jpg

The RSQ3 is a Sporty'ish small 4x4 Vehicle, rather than an SUV, in my opinion, that virtually gives you all the Power, Comfort, Handling, Engine burble & Fun Factor of the RS3, with the Added Bonus of more Room!
A 4x4 type of Vehicle, is generally meant to be a Hatchback with 4 Doors..........thats just how they look, whereas the Hot Hatch Class of Cars are meant to be as Sporty as you can get, therefore should be a 3 Door!
No doubt that the New RS3 is a great Car & I did consider one, as a Spec'd up one was very similar money to the New Version RSQ3 340PS, but I thought that the Q3 actually looked more Sporty & Classy than the 'Frumpy' looking Sportback RS3, so went for that instead!
I've now had it for a month & I have to say that I've found it awesome to Drive............virtually as fun as my RS4!

With regards to the Interior of the RSQ3, I really like the Dash/Layout of everything & mine is pretty Luxurious, being a Fully Loaded one...........admittedly, its not quite as Modern/Flash as the one that was in my S3 Saloon.i.e that having the Popup Display etc, but it still feels Fresher than the Q5 one, which still has the Built-in Display & kind of reminds me of the Dashboards in the 2010 A6!

I think at the end of the day, you have to go for the Car that you like the Best, rather than other peoples Opinion.............Exterior Looks, Interior Looks, how it Drives & Affordability should always be a Priority when Buying a Car.............Emission Figures are all rubbish anyway, so I wouldn't let that jeopardise what Car you like

Last edited:
Im just going to add my little bit ( thats what she said..........)

I went from a MK1 RS3 to a RSQ3 & i think the interior is better & more modern, yes there is a little body roll but the RS3 can't go as much off the tarmac if needed but it is by far no way a proper 4x4

Going from the 2015 S3 to a 2014 RS Q3 this week. Hope it works out *fingers crossed*

I am seriously thinking about an RSQ3 as my wife's medical condition needs some kit carried around and I think the RS3 hasn't enough space in the boot area without folding the seats. I also need to know how high a step it is to get into in the front passenger seat compared to a normal car if anybody who has one can help (live in the Scottish Islands and won't be near a dealer till next trip to mainland in May). Currently running an F80 M3.

I am seriously thinking about an RSQ3 as my wife's medical condition needs some kit carried around and I think the RS3 hasn't enough space in the boot area without folding the seats. I also need to know how high a step it is to get into in the front passenger seat compared to a normal car if anybody who has one can help (live in the Scottish Islands and won't be near a dealer till next trip to mainland in May). Currently running an F80 M3.

I'm looking at swapping my S3 Sportback for an RSQ3, one of the reasons being bootspace (as I had assumed the RSQ3 would have a larger boot). Having looked up the spec of both it does, but not as much as I had thought - S3 (same bootspace as an RS3) has 325 litres with seats up compared to the RSQ3 which has 356 litres. Whether its more useable space I have yet to look into, so might yet be looking at the SQ5 as a replacement instead

I'm looking at swapping my S3 Sportback for an RSQ3, one of the reasons being bootspace (as I had assumed the RSQ3 would have a larger boot). Having looked up the spec of both it does, but not as much as I had thought - S3 (same bootspace as an RS3) has 325 litres with seats up compared to the RSQ3 which has 356 litres. Whether its more useable space I have yet to look into, so might yet be looking at the SQ5 as a replacement instead

I wanted a SQ5, I even test drove one before deciding. The V6 engine is really nice and has a great sounding note but the interior needs updating. This will be done next year with the MY17.

Sq5 all the way. If you can live with. the slightly outdated interior there are some deals to be had a new model is due to be released November if this year.

Mine is fully loaded and 7 months old. I love every minute of driving it

Picked up an SQ5 plus last month, I don't mind that it doesn't have the latest tech, it's got more than enough for me, too much actually as I'm blaming fiddling with google earth for missing a speed trap and getting my first ever ticket.
It's a great drive, corners very flat, pulls like a train, sports diff is the nuts.

Just did a deal to sell my 2014 S3 - picking up my RSQ3 (340ps) this Sunday - really looking forward to it!!

Reactions: funguf