Anyone gone from a TT to an A3...

Muttley75

Reaction score
This is exactly what I'll be doing in September. Anyone else done this, and if so, any regrets or is it all good?

Selling: 2011 mk2 TT Coupe 2.0TFSI Sport

Buying: A3 1.4 150ps S-Line S-Tronic

Driven a TT but never owned. But my A3 S-Tronic still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Lack of gadgetalia (yes I made that word up) made me get rid. Halogens, manual box, no SD/USB (BOSE is no good with 12-track single CD or FM radio), no cruise, no nice pop-up screen the list goes on.

Great word. Send that to Oxford English Dictionary people! :yahoo::yahoo:
You'll love your new toys and car.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
I went from an Amplified Edition TT to a S3 at the weekend...no regrets so far!

Reactions: Scottyg
I went from a TTS to an S3..... I had just as big a smile on my face but had 2 extra passengers in the car ;)

Two 'no regrets' from S3 owners... But what about 1.4 150ps A3 owners...?

Two 'no regrets' from S3 owners... But what about 1.4 150ps A3 owners...?

I'm a TT to S3, would I say regrets, perhaps no.
Better no, different yes.
I had a 211ps s-line quattro with magnetic ride.

I do however miss the steering feel of the TT as it actually had some!
...oh and it did handle far better.
If I were still an "enthusiastic" driver I would regret it. However as I'm not now, as my car requirements have shifted, I don't.

Hmmm I went from a SEAT Cupra to a TT and I felt the Cupra handled better tbh. I've been largely disappointed with the odd handling of the TT.

Went from a 2.0TDI Quattro TT to a 184ps A-Sline A3. No major disappointments, mostly things I miss are the quattro, and the handling, as TT was def more planted on the road.

Mine wasn't Quattro. I don't think the standard TT handling was anything special, corner too hard and it feels like the back end will spin out, definitely not as sure do footed as the Cupra. Though it could also be down to tyres in fairness.

I went from a MK2 3.2 V6 S-Tronic Quattro TT to an S3 S-Tronic Saloon and am very happy with the S3.
The S3 is a quicker car, has a similar & clean looking dash layout and is obviously better for rear passengers but the TT had a slightly better drivers seating position.
The Mk3 TT is in the running for my next car as they're starting to grow on me (I like to plan ahead ;)

Won't be another TT for me for a while... I dive for a hobby, so need the boot space! Will prob be an estate car next for me

Switched from a manual TT tdi to an Stronic S3 and miss the TT every day. Yes the S3 is faster has better gadget and more space but handling and grip not as good as the TT and just not as engaging.
Don't get me wrong, the S3 is good, just not as fun as the TT
the Mk3 is growing one too. So maybe....

I drove an RS3 at an Audi Sport Showcase event in Norwich today, I thought it was infinitely better than my TT in every way. Took it for an hour long drive on a mix of dual carriageways and B roads.

Hoping my mere A3 150ps S-Line will be too. I've sacrificed some power for more practicality and toys.

I went from TT 1.8TFSI Sport to A3 1.4 COD - actually I have both so can directly compare. Both have S-Tronic boxes. The TT has a light grey interior which I much prefer but financially the only way to get all the toys with the A3 was to go S-Line which means black. Tech is much better on A3 - ACC is not even available on the latest Mark 3 TT. I love the Tech Pack on the A3 but now I have 7 digit postcode entry on the TT the RNS-E isn't so bad. As for driving, I enjoy both in their different ways - power is quite similar but the way it's delivered is quite different. Maybe because of the 19" wheels on the TT but it's definitely a more sporty drive, not harder but just more sporty. And the TT never ceases to amaze me how much stuff I can put into the boot, although the A3 is more practical. But driving the TT always puts a smile on my face! So I feel fortunate to be able to have both these cars and certainly you will not be disappointed with the A3. It is such a quiet and smooth engine, even more so than the TT which has a nice growl to it in the upper rev ranges.
Hope this helps.

I drove an RS3 at an Audi Sport Showcase event in Norwich today, I thought it was infinitely better than my TT in every way. Took it for an hour long drive on a mix of dual carriageways and B roads.

Hoping my mere A3 150ps S-Line will be too. I've sacrificed some power for more practicality and toys.

Is it not the power youre missing ?

I went from a TT 3.2 to an S3... I miss that engine and proper Quattro. S3 is a fab car. Waiting for the TTRS to arrive and I'm jumping back.

I went from a TT 3.2 to an S3... I miss that engine and proper Quattro. S3 is a fab car. Waiting for the TTRS to arrive and I'm jumping back.

How do you rate the current TTRS plus 360bhp

Last edited:
I drive an S3 and recently took delivery of a Mk3 TT for the missus. A bit bit of having your cake.....

The 3.2 V6 engine is great, power everywhere, but the Quattro in the 3.2 TT is Haldex too. Like you, I'll be very tempted by the MK3 TTRS.

Reactions: naughts4187
I went from a TT 2.0 TFSi convertible to a 2.0 TDI S Line. Miss the engine power delivery of the petrol, whilst the TT cabin was a nice place to be there's no getting away from the fact it was old / slightly dated but nonetheless wore it's age well. The A3 has a better cabin and being a newer car has the advancements of interior design and further gadgetry including (in mine) the B&O - which for me as someone who likes their music makes my commute enjoyable.

For me a massive decrease in commuting costs (almost halved) sweetens the deal in my swap. A3 is a practical comfy hatchback, the TT a sporty little style wagon - A3 in dynamic steering mode in my opinion firms it up nicely and improved the feel, it's never going to compare to my old TT but I'm not regretting my change - depends what ticks your boxes though!