anyone go gym or works out regularly?

To be honest, depending on what goals you have it's difficult to over train as people say, as long as you're not training the same body part each day and you're splitting up what you're doing and mixing it all up it's all good. I know guys and fitness models that train twice a day, splitting cardio and weights. I might start doing that but I don't want my social life to suffer. so might only do it one or 2 days a week..! And the protein bar recipe I shall post up very soon! I've got some pics somewhere too so you can check if it looks right...

Right so here's the recipe for homemade protein bars:

250g Alpen (No sugar) or Dorset Cereal

250g Natural Peanut butter (best stuff is in holland & barrett) otherwise go organic - whole earth is a good one. NEVER USE SUNPACK! or any of the other processed s***!

150g Sultanas or Raisins

50g Pumpkin Seeds

50g Sunflower seeds

50g Linseed (i used golden linseed in the end)

50g Brazil nuts

25g Sesame seeds

5tbl sp honey - good quality

6 scoops chocolate flavour protein powder

275ml milk to soften - skimmed (red top)

Directions: Simply put all ingredients into a big bowl and mix together, add the milk to soften. Put on tray and press out so about 1-2 inch thick - cover with cling film over night and ENJOY.

Had pics but cannot access my flickr account to get codes or put them on there as I haven't been on there in so long they have deactivated my ID or something. anyone know any other good free image hosting sites I can put images on to work on here?

I also have a sweet potato protein muffin recipe if anyone is interested??

Josh

thanks. Here's the nutritional facts:

(per 100g) - which is size of bars you should cut it into. You can also do 50g ones if you like.

385kcal
29g protein
20g fat
of which saturates - 2g
6g fibre

I should charge for all this! lol

Josh

Sorry if I'm opening a dead thread,

I am a Physical Training Instructor in the Army and currently working on my Diploma for Personal Training.

I'm happy to answer any questions or offer advice if need be, either leave a message in this thread or PM and I'll get back to you as soon as a I can with the best of my knowledge.

Sorry if I'm opening a dead thread
Not at all Lee,threads are always live but you may get some comments,I've seen ones reopened after 8 years lol
I am a Physical Training Instructor in the Army and currently working on my Diploma for Personal Training.

I'm happy to answer any questions or offer advice if need be, either leave a message in this thread or PM and I'll get back to you as soon as a I can with the best of my knowledge.
I have a nephew who wants to go into sports and is at Uni doing sports studies,is that applicable to being a PTI ?

Your nephew is at Uni currently and wishes to join the Military after? if that's correct?

A PTI in the Army is generally a lvl 2 and an NVQ qualification meaning It can be taken and used into civie street (it's the equivalent of a Gym Instructor). You can opt to do your lvl 3 but that requires you normally to be a Lcpl or above.

Normally people who go to Uni first join the Military as an Officer, I'm unfamiliar with these routes.

PTI course within the Military is approx 9 weeks long and requires no experience but you do have to be considerably fit as you are normally selected to go on the course.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
the difference will be that when you join as an officer you're initial training is longer and more in depth - generally - also this should mean that he can get his lvl 3 sooner as he's higher rank than lcpl to start with. So lee, how long you been serving then?

Thanks for the clear up :)

Its coming upto 5 years now, 2nd time I have been recommend for promotion so fingers crossed!

I have done 1 tour of Afghanistan based in Kabul.

My intentions are to leave and take my fitness experience into civie street, hence why I am currently doing qualifications with Premier. Lots of other decisions to be made though on when I sign off or do I take the next tour?!?

That's me, yourself within the military?

I too may be able to help out here... I've done a little bit of weight lifting in my time (7 WR's).

My good friend is a top sports nutritionist, does diet plans for premiership rugby players and the lads out The Lost Prophets. If I don't know the answer, I always ask him (he's also an international rugby player, so practises what he preaches).

Ryan

Thanks for the clear up :)

Its coming upto 5 years now, 2nd time I have been recommend for promotion so fingers crossed!

I have done 1 tour of Afghanistan based in Kabul.

My intentions are to leave and take my fitness experience into civie street, hence why I am currently doing qualifications with Premier. Lots of other decisions to be made though on when I sign off or do I take the next tour?!?

That's me, yourself within the military?

got a lot of respect for you mate having toured Afghan. If all goes well I'll soon be an aircraft maintenance mechanic in the RAF - got my final 308 interview on 2nd August. hence why I may know the application process for the military a little more since I've just been through it all recently! big into my fitness though not looking forward to basic training cos i can't train as much as i'm used to!

Thanks very much!

Good luck with your final interview, just a word of advice on basic training; regardless of how bull**** it is or how your treated etc. It is NOT the field Army or in your case RAF. Once you get to your first unit then it starts!

To be honest, depending on what goals you have it's difficult to over train as people say, as long as you're not training the same body part each day and you're splitting up what you're doing and mixing it all up it's all good. I know guys and fitness models that train twice a day, splitting cardio and weights. I might start doing that but I don't want my social life to suffer. so might only do it one or 2 days a week..! And the protein bar recipe I shall post up very soon! I've got some pics somewhere too so you can check if it looks right...

Correct!

Over training is nonsense!

Think it was Channel 4 that did a documentary on them. Turns out you get greater benefits from drinking semi-skimmed milk. If people believe they make a difference, so be it but I've never noticed any gains from using them. Just keep your calorie intake up and you'll get bigger gains quicker than shakes
I think that program was comparing recovery/energy type drinks which revealed that milk was a better option. Doubt that milk have the same protein content when compared to a protein shake

I think that program was comparing recovery/energy type drinks which revealed that milk was a better option. Doubt that milk have the same protein content when compared to a protein shake

Yeah, i think they were trying to compare hydration effects from milk compared to water/energy drinks.

They didn't state that milk is better for muscle growth and repair then protein shakes.

That whole program seemed pretty poor to me.

Used to go gym religiously and found everyone promoting products could attain gains to other substances, hard part is looking in the mirror and accepting the person looking back as sky's the limit really.

I have a nice opportunity to go in for sport in my gym. Recently I have finished my basement and changed it into a gym. Of course I took basement finishing services https://ikhomepros.com/basement-finishing-and-remodeling/ because it's complicated thing to finish a basement without professional craftsmen.
Now I'm happy to have a gym at home. It saves money for gym membership and time for getting to a gym.
Sometimes i invite my friends to do sport activities together but they don't do it regularly nonetheless to them i'm going in for sport regurarly.

Thus far I haven't caved and used any. Whether I can get away with it easier than others because I'm coming from a position of significant body fat, I don't know. Started out eating in a calorie deficit to cut my body fat down and was quite happy with how that was going but then I went on a cruise with my mum where I knew there would be quite extravagant food. I didn't want to be backpedalling on my weight loss so I used the onboard gym to offset that and began to see muscle tone so I've carried on since. Still a little way to go but I'm getting there on just more selective eating and maintaining a better level of hydration.