Anyone getting new S5? Help with spec. please

DickiePhitt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm looking to sell my 8V S3 SB and lease a new S5 as there seem to be some good deals about.

Can someone in the know confirm whether its only the upgraded (flat bottomed or heated) steering wheel that get the gear change paddles? Seems so from the configurator but seems odd if that if that is the case. I'd prefer not to have to pay for the privilege of changing gear manually.

I've ordered a coupe and the brochure states that all S5 steering wheels, standard an optional, include paddles. I've stuck with the standard one.

Reactions: DickiePhitt
I am currently speccing one up and talking to brokers etc. They all have paddles, I am going for the Flat bottom bone, looks nicer!

But read this morning that the standard S5 is "haldex" or Quattro Ultra? Unless you spec the sports diff? anyone confirm this?

I would be surprised if the S5 has "quattro with ultra technology". There's no S5 brochure yet and the S4 brochure does not have any details. This 'ultra' version has clutches to isolate the propshaft and rear differential, making the car FWD. This is for efficiency. When it senses that additional traction is needed it will engage the rear part and become 4WD. One of the great things about the current S5 is the crown diff in the centre which allows torque sensing transfer between axles, and in default the bias is towards RWD. Ultra would ruin this.

My understanding is that quattro with ultra is different to Haldex. Haldex is for transversally mounted engines, quattro with ultra is making a "standard" quattro into one which can vector 100% of drive to the front wheels. The reviews I've read say the A5 quattro is ultra, but not the S5....

The new 2.0 Q5s are going to be ultra, the higher torque 3.0 is sticking with torsen so I reckon the S5 will be the same. I'd recommend the sport diff, it's fabby on the SQ5 plus, it'll be the absolute danglies on an S5.

Thanks for all the replies, so it would suggest it is still the torsen system which is good. The diff I will price up and see if it's still in budget but don't actually know if it will matter that much in motorway and/or spirited country lane driving?

Thanks for all the replies, so it would suggest it is still the torsen system which is good. The diff I will price up and see if it's still in budget but don't actually know if it will matter that much in motorway and/or spirited country lane driving?
https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/q/quattro-with-sport-differential.html

I think it varies between approx £650 (on the last of the old A5 tdi cabbies I was tempted by) and £1100 on some other models. Not particularly cheap at the higher price but it's now top of my 'must have' list for any future purchase. It totally transforms the SQ, an SUV shouldn't be able to corner like that, the S5 would be incredible I reckon.

I have sports diff on my S5. I haven't driven one without, but both Ms arad85 and I were surprised at how well the S5 cornered on some spirited driving along country lanes. I was used to driving an A3 quattro (front end tended to scrabble a bit on corners when driven hard) and she's used to a Touareg 4x4 (which is a boat by comparison - even on the so called sports suspension!). I can definitely go around corners a lot quicker in the S5 than I felt comfortable with in the A3.

I too wouldn't be without it (along with the active dampers and ADS). You have to remember that the way Audi quattro works, the weight of the engine is in front of the front axle, so having something pushing the back end along on the outside of the corner helps to minimise understeer.

I have driven cars without sports diff and can indeed confirm that it makes a massive difference. However not all drivers drive like us so not everyone would benefit from it.

Any info on when the first S5's are going to be in the UK? Had a B8 S4 before my 8V S3 SB and the S4 had the sports diff. Really missed the S4 these past few years.

I've had a S5 Coupe with diff, RS5 with diff and now S5 Sportback without.
We'll have without again next time.
That said this is the wife's family wagon, so not a car that sees much diff requirement.

I believe if I order now it will arrive Feb 17 and dealer demos just before... not great to buy without test drive but hey ho everything Audi is delayed at the moment, RS3, TTRS etc so this is the next to arrive.

Why would you buy an S5 if you don't intend to drive it like a performance car should be driven????
The evidence is there: Most S4s and S5s on the used market don't have sports diff. Also ADS which improves throttle response is also not so common. Some people do buy cars just for the badge...

The evidence is there: Most S4s and S5s on the used market don't have sports diff. Also ADS which improves throttle response is also not so common. Some people do buy cars just for the badge...
Guess you're right. When I bought mine, it was the only one I could find with sports diff, adaptive dampers & dynamic steering (in fact, I can't recollect finding one with either the diff or the dampers). The only thing I'd really have liked that it didn't have was adaptive cruise, but that had to fall by the wayside given the rarity of the drive chain options. What was even luckier was that it was at my local Audi dealership!

My problem was I couldn't afford it because the powers that be at Audi decided to get sat nav you had to add a £1400 option...

Felt a 2015 car without sat nav would of really struggled at trade in...

Would love to have ADS and sport diff but couldn't afford the extra £2k :(

Guess you're right. When I bought mine, it was the only one I could find with sports diff, adaptive dampers & dynamic steering (in fact, I can't recollect finding one with either the diff or the dampers). The only thing I'd really have liked that it didn't have was adaptive cruise, but that had to fall by the wayside given the rarity of the drive chain options. What was even luckier was that it was at my local Audi dealership!
I was looking for a used S5 sportback throughout most of 2014. I wanted sports diff and the dampers as a minimum but ideally I wanted full ADS. I only ever found one (within a reasonable distance) advertised as full ADS but then discovered that the dealer didn't know that sports diff was an option and not just a 'special' name for the standard S5 diff. My problem was also that I wanted many of the other 'toys' too which is why in the end I gave up and ordered a new one to my exact spec. If I had known in late 2014 that Audi had fitted the new CREC engine earlier in the year I'd likely have compromised and got a used one with a tunable engine. Whilst I do love having my car with all its options (especially sports diff), I think I'd be loving an older S5 with MRC stage 2 a lot more!

Reactions: DrEskimo and arad85
Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread...

Ive ordered a 2017 S5 sportback in navarra blue. Its almost impossible to find a picture of navarra blue sportback S5 anywhere. I haven't specced it much as it already has everything I need as standard. Red calipers being the only addition to give it an extra bit of sporty looks.