20170711 060243

Attachments

• 20170711_060243.jpg
    20170711_060243.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 266
Rear door corner trim rust
.any manual download links on removal would be s massive help
Thanks

You have a few options, although all require removing that trim from the door.
I don't believe it is a difficult task, just a bit fiddly as the entire frame holding the window glass to the door has to be removed to allow access to the fastener securing the trim , I believe the trim is held in place by a single screw/bolt.
Once the trim is off you can either repaint it, replace with a new trim or have your existing one vinyl-wrapped.
There is a thread on this forum describing this very job somewhere......

Sounds scary . Ok il try and find the thread.
Thank you

I've just had a good look in the 8P part of this forum and can't find the thread I referred to, thought I'd bookmarked it as one of my rear door trims is showing some corrosion too, but I can't find it....
Removing the window frame from the door body isn't as scary as it sounds; I needed to look at the drivers door window regulator on my car and it was surprisingly easy removing the complete window frame & glass.
As already said, I need to replace one of those rear trim triangles on my own car due to the dreaded corrosion, it's just last on my list of priorities at the moment.....

Reactions: dp_motley
I just need a step by step how to do.
As I don't want to damage anything.
Terrible that the rust tho

I had this on my Mk 4 Golf years ago. Make sure you waxoyl all of the edges of the new insets as you reinstall to prevent it corroding again.

Audi want £40 for a new one which does come sprayed.
The bloke suggested spraying it with it still on the car (the original)
But I'm sure that would be more hassle than it's worth

search audi a3 rear triangles. Its not a hard job as I have said before but it requires a full tear down for such a small piece. after you remove the door card, it's pretty self evident what screws need to be removed as well as the ones near the child door lock and then just lift up the window assembly and unscrew the triangle and replace. It's around 2 hours for first door then memory kicks in and one hour for second.

Hope someone does it and posts pictures of the bolts that need taken out. I got as far as taking my door cards off then bottled it. It's an itch that I'll need to scratch at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bottle job here too
Your not alone

Reactions: jamiepaton5
Sorry for bringing up the old thread. Have you solved the problem yet?
Both triangles on my rear doors show corrosion too. I tried not to look in their direction and purposely procrastinate fixing it, but my wife started to pointing at it lately. She said the corroded spots didn't suit our perfect car and asked if I was searching for a solution three times already. I have to do something with it :)
I'd rather not to disassembly the entire door, though all possible ways to fixing it would be considered.

Corroded triangles

You tube ( Audi a3 8p mk2-doorcard panel / wing mirror removal ) now i know thats a front door but i would think principle would be same for back door

I did mine a few week back.
I bought some Matt black vinyl wrap off eBay for £1.50.
I scraped all the corroded bits off and then sanded the existing triangles. Then I wrapped them with what I had bought from eBay. The rubber seals around the triangle peel back enough to get the edge of the wrap underneath them so you can do everything without taking the door apart. Only thing I took off was the stiff rubber strip that goes across the door under the window. If taking this item off you have to take it off evenly all the way across or you will bend it out of shape.
Now I have wrapped them for £1.50 they look as good as new.

I did mine a few week back.
I bought some Matt black vinyl wrap off eBay for £1.50.
I scraped all the corroded bits off and then sanded the existing triangles. Then I wrapped them with what I had bought from eBay. The rubber seals around the triangle peel back enough to get the edge of the wrap underneath them so you can do everything without taking the door apart. Only thing I took off was the stiff rubber strip that goes across the door under the window. If taking this item off you have to take it off evenly all the way across or you will bend it out of shape.
Now I have wrapped them for £1.50 they look as good as new.
That's what I was considering to do too, though I need a high gloss vinyl. Perhaps I hid a piece somewhere after wrapping fog light rings.

Tried to fix this issue today and screw up. I needed it gloss black and I had the gloss black vinyl. I sanded the corroded part and put the vinyl on, buy it's not as gloss and smooth as the oem paint. Also, I wasn't careful enough taking the lower rubber strip off. I didn't do it evenly as was suggested and I didn't know that there was metal inside the rubber. I bent the strip and made it even worse by trying to fix later before putting it back. Now I'm going to order a new strip and, as I don't like the vinyl wrapped triangle, I'm going to purchase both triangles and disassembly the doors.

Same as what I was quoted from *** Facebook Shop. Haven’t been able to find cheaper.
I guess it's more expensive at an official dealer. I can ask tomorrow.

I still need a how to, don't want to destroy anything else as I did with the rubber strip.

I got a quote on the triangles at a local VW dealer. It was a bit more expensive than at the German store I linked to earlier, but the difference was so negligible (approx. £10-12 for all three parts I needed, considering shipping from Germany), that I ordered everything right there and I expect to receive the parts tomorrow. I hope I find time to fixing the issue on weekend. I'll take pictures.

Reactions: Dee60
Replaced both mine a few months ago. Done in less than 1 hour for both sides. I had to replace the window regulator mechanism 3 times on my A4 B6 lol, this is pretty much the same procedure.

Remove door card
Remove window motor (3 bolts) and undo the pins from the door metal
Undo 4x Torx T45 bolts (2 front, 2 rear, hidden behind rubber)
Undo 1x Torx T30 bolt below the door lock
Undo 2x Torx T20/25 bolts for the actual regulator mechanism (approx. in center)
Undo 2x Torx T25 bolts just below the rubber strip towards the top
Lift the entire window frame up
Undo the torx holding the triangle, and push it downwards =)

All taken from memory, I might have missed some details.

Last edited:
I replaced both triangles today and took pictures. Removing the window motor wasn't necessary. I'll write a guide during this weekend.

Reactions: samuelh_888