Anyone fitted a VW Racing intake to their S3

prt57

Reaction score
Hi,
I am still considering the merits of the different cold air intakes to fit my S3.
Done quite a bit of research and talked to the chap at VWR about the VW Racing intake for the S3. Can anyone tell me if a TTS engine cover will still fit with the large filter housing down near the front of the car? I would also be keen to hear about real user thoughts about this filter.

Cheers,
Peter

I was going to get one, however went forge twin take just down to the looks, however this is being replaced for itg

I have a vwr intake and it does JUST catch the TT cover.
It's a nice intake and quieter than the Revo, however I've found its a little restrictive compared to the Revo if going 2+, but that will be the case with any enclosed filter tbh

Revo CAI is the best apparently. I have one of them and can't complain. And fits perfectly with a TT cover

Revo CAI is the best apparently. I have one of them and can't complain. And fits perfectly with a TT cover

Thank you for your replies.
Regarding the Revo intake, does it catch at all on the air enclose as the engine moves backwards and forwards? Are there any issues at all with fit and finish?

Also is there an alternative cotton based filter that can be bought that will fit the Revo intake rather than using the Revo foam cone?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Had my revi CAI on for 4 months now, best mod ive made by far, no issues so far and that noise

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 531
If you'd rather have a sealed intake, you could always get the Revo and make a cover for it!

Reactions: jamiepaton5
When I had my S3 I bought a enclosed pipercross filter from AMD for my revo intake which quietened it right down.

Where is the best place to buy VWR stuff as you can't buy from their website!

Yes Awesome have the VWR kit.

I spoke to the technical department at VWR yesterday as my research had unearthed suggestions that some pipes may rub on the filter enclosure. The chap suggested that fitting was best left to an expert to avoid the rubbing issues. Apparently at least 1 pipe has to be cut shorter and coolant pipes have to be twisted round or cable tied out of the way. I also asked about any fuel trim issues
and they have had to fit a cylinder inside at the MAF area to reduce the diameter to avoid trim issues.
I watched a YouTube video yesterday where the chap took a VWR intake all to bits to clean the filter and when it was dismantled the filter was split. Also the flexible "rubber" intake bolted to the front valance appeared split.
What with pipes needing rerouting and splitting filters, I am more drawn to the Revo intake.

i have the VWR intake on my s3, fitted without any issues.
nothing is rubbing nor i had to trim anything

Thanks for your thoughts Fernando. Most interesting as the fitting information was given to me by the VWR chap.

I found there is what looks like a small plastic check valve that catches on the left of the canister, you really need to shorten the tube that attaches to this.
There are also some water pipes that sit down by the bracket, but these push away without issue
Mine doent have that flexible rubber coupler to the front panel, it's more like a box that screws onto the original mounting points and then the canister just fits straight into a hole in the box

It's only a cover on top of the original heat shield, it still leaves plenty of room around the filter to draw air from the front panel and from underneath.
I did it just to deaden the sound of the intake, it makes a difference but not as much as I'd hoped tbh, but it also helps to draw the colder air in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 503
Reactions: Hookmonster, -Ju- and downtothebone
I have the vwr kit fitted, and yes it is a tight fit. I've had the cone made out of carbon. I'm on stage 1 remap and runs ar 322 bhp. I've had to trim the engine cover done I a few places but that's no big deal. It has been rubbing on a pipe to the left but that's sorted out now. Ideally the cone could have been a bit smaller but I think it looks great and really happy with it now

If anyone fancies the carbon cylinder let me know as we still have the mould, and can make one for you

Ok Ive got some prices, it's gonna be around £75 plus del.
If anyone wants one let me know and we can get making them.
Here are some pictures of us making the mould
The quality is excellent, the guy who is making them is a professional carbon car part maker

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 369
Reactions: derekw
I have the vwr kit fitted, and yes it is a tight fit. I've had the cone made out of carbon. I'm on stage 1 remap and runs ar 322 bhp. I've had to trim the engine cover done I a few places but that's no big deal. It has been rubbing on a pipe to the left but that's sorted out now. Ideally the cone could have been a bit smaller but I think it looks great and really happy with it now
322HP on stage 1 ? Damn that's a good standard fuel pump you have

its funny to me that you bumped this, because like 3 days ago i was looking for this thread so bad haha
i remembered someone had that carbon enclosure for the vwr intake, and couldnt find it anywhere online.

btw, how much are you asking for it?