Anyone fit LED bulbs in their foglights?

Crossmax

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Fog-light bulb gone on my A6 C6, has anyone out there replaced theirs with LED's. If so what brand did you buy and did you get an error?

Peter

Hi Peter.

I did fit those H11 power led ones with heat sink's. Check out my thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/d3s-headlamp-bulb-upgrade.294415/

Error is still there, although I've fitted the resistors. Quick flash every 30seconds. You have to code it out with vcds. There was someone here who codded it out as was fitting the rs6 bumper and didn't want the fogs anymore. I'm not sure if you code it our, if it's going to work with led bulbs.

As far as I know there is no way to stop the car doing cold diagnosis on the bulbs. This will cause the LEDs to strobe every 30 seconds or so, unless Kris has found an answer to this I would stick to halogens or people might think you are the fuzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk
I haven't got a clue, Steve.
Guy who was doing my dpf removal and remap was thinking he's gone mad, as he saw flashing lights at the corner of an eye but when looked properly nothing happen. Lol
Drive with strobe but shine crisp white.

I guess I'll stick to the Osram Cool Blue Intense for now then, it's a shame as I much prefer the look of LEDs

What bulb type for the main beam you have Simon?
Wherever I look, at online bulb suppliers, after my reg typed in they say my 2.0 2010 Avant have them as D3S's.
Got them Osram CBI's as dipped beam and main one looks nothing like it (looking through the front of the lamp).
Asked Trups but he had no idea either. Even dealership says it is D3S.
Access there is awkward so cannot pull the bulb and check and when was doing the grille, I was more focused on the grille than lamps.

Main beam is bi-xenon, so uses the D3S.
The other main beam bulb, which should only be used to flash when the headlights are off is an H8, I think.

I know that you said that your car works differently though, but the bulbs should be the same.
I wonder if someone has modified the wiring on your car for some reason?

If you decide to remove the bumper so that you can remove the headlights for better access, be very careful not to move the adjusters that align the headlamp housing as they are a pain to re-adjust.

Just had a look in the online parts catalogue and it lists the halogen bulb as an H7.
Not sure why I thought it was an H8 now though.

Main beam is bi-xenon, so uses the D3S.
The other main beam bulb, which should only be used to flash when the headlights are off is an H8, I think.

So is mine. It is also for a quick flash, yes.

I know that you said that your car works differently though, but the bulbs should be the same.
I wonder if someone has modified the wiring on your car for some reason?

My lamps work fine, to my knowledge, but when you look at the bulb from the front of the lamp, the main beam bulb looks different to the D3S bulb. It look's more like a bulb from a normal H group base.

If you decide to remove the bumper so that you can remove the headlights for better access, be very careful not to move the adjusters that align the headlamp housing as they are a pain to re-adjust.

That was another reason why I did not tacked it when was taking the bumper off for grille fitment. Don't want to mess it up as it is my daily run car.

Kris,
The D3S is described as bi-xenon because it is used for both the dipped and main beam. A shutter moves to switch between the two.
The halogen bulb is only used to flash when the stalk is pulled back as it illuminates to full intensity quicker than a xenon bulb.

I thought that you had said before that your halogen bulb stayed on with main beam switched on?

Now I'm puzzled even more, Simon.
Will double and triple check tomorrow.

I agree with the bi-xenon being as a dipped beam and a main beam with quick flash shutter flip.
Will also agree on halogen light up faster than xenon but the main beam, which should be or is a halogen, is used for a main beam light activated by the lamp stalk being pushed fully forward. It will also stay on until you pull it back to switch it off.
That's how it should work and how it does work on my car.

Will try to set up a tripod in front of the car and record a video to be 101% sure

My halogen bulb only lights when the stalk is pulled back to flash the lights. When it is pushed forward to select main beam the halogen bulb is not used.
I'm sure that is the way it is supposed to work.

You are right Simon. Had no tripod with me and nowhere to rest the phone or mirror on but saw the light on the wall.
It is working as you say, as it should be.
I'm sorry I've stirred things up in here as I was mistaken myself.