Anyone else with this problem on 2006 2.0 TDi? Injectors...

Just called audi, they seemed to know all about this injector issue. First person I spoke to just took my details and is going to get it booked into my local dealer. Very swift for me, only down to you guys battling to get justice though! Thanks for all your help!

Am now reading this forum with great interest. For the past 3 months, we've had problems with the car juddering - especially at low revs. Car went in for a full service at the end of it's warranty and audi dealership said they couldn't find the fault, replaced the EGV valve as it looked "sticky" and sent us on our way. My wife was then driving the car on the motorway and the coil light suddenly flashed up and it lost most of it's drive. She pulled onto the hard shoulder, switched the car off. She then tried the ignition and the car started ok. She called Audi who advised to bring it straight to a garage if possible. Very cautiously, she did do, and the car drove pretty much ok other than a few judders.

After some investigations by the dealership, no major problem was found and car returned to us nothing done advising to report it asap if it happens again. Sure enough, within a couple of weeks the car cut out in similar fashion a further 2 times and was back in the garage. On each occassion, the car felt like it lost 70% of it's drive but could be safely stopped and when restarted, seemed to work ok. This time, the garage suggested that the fuel filter needed replacing and they did this, at no charge, and returned the car to us.

Then yesterday, I had just pulled off the A25 with my wife and 1 yr old boy in the back. The tell-tale coil light started flashing and the car lost drive again. I'd just begun to roll my eyes at the inconvenience of another "stop and go penalty" when suddenly the battery light came up on the dashboard and suddenly the car lost all drive, all power assisted steering and all power assisted braking. I was still doing about 50mph and heading for a sharp junction. Fortunately, there's wasn't much on the road at the time so I was able to yank the car to the side of the road, jam it in 2nd to help slow the car on the drive train and literally stand out of my seat on the brakes to get it to stop. It did - and without really being as dangerous as that may sound - but it goes without saying that this could have happened in a far worse stretch of road.

RAC promptly arrived and said that the computer reports the fuel injectors had gone and towed the car back to the Audi dealership where it now sits awaiting service insepection.

So now I'm reading about all these other people with similar "known" issues about this part of the car and wondering how and why the hell Audi could have sent me back out onto the roads when all the evidence surely pointed at this known faulty part! I will re-post on here when I hear the reports of their investigation...

I'd just like to warn people on this forum that the Audi injector inspection is not neccessarily free. I've had a mare trying to get my £107.40 back off Audi, because they performed the wrong inspection 1st time & charged me, yet the proper inspection was done foc. Audi r telling me in no certain terms will I be reimbursed for the botched 1st checkup. They told me the payment I made for the wrong inspection will carry over to the correct inspection.:wtf::sign_unfair:. Audi are moving the goalposts & it ain't right!!!

If your car is inspected & you don't have the faulty injectors, you are liable for the hours labour & diagnosis fee!
Maybe the gas chamber too!
Wot a bunch of b******s! They ripped me right off!!!! They may win this battle.... but we won the war!

Hi - following up on my earlier post, after reading various comments online I submitted my complaint about the fuel injector fault to the VOSA as advised by a number of posters. Within a matter of hours, VOSA contacted me to confirm that they had discussed my case with Audi and to rest assured that the all the injectors currently installed would be replaced immediately and all costs picked up by the manufacturer. Later that day, the Audi garage called and confirmed that they would replace all the injectors as an act of goodwill from Audi and that we could pick the car up the following day. I've no idea if they would have said this anyway or if this was as a result of VOSA's intervention. Decided best not to ask...

Picked up the car last night and for the first time in a long time, it runs really well.

Generally disappointed that it took so long to identify root cause and that my family and I were exposed to what I now see as very unnecessary risks but pleased with the eventual remedial, and prompt, action from Audi and VOSA. I strongly advise involving VOSA if you have problems with these parts..

Well it seems different garages are doing different things, I was talking to Audi uk about another issue ( The dreaded balance shaft ) and he said he cant help with that but wanted to check my injectors.

I told him mine is the 140 bhp but he more or less insisted i took it in and had it checked.

Of course there was no problems with then as it is the 140 but the even checked the fuel filter to see if seals were ok all FOC, so it does seem some are better than others.Crazy really as i didnt even need them checked.

i have just been taiking to one of my work mates and has had a letter of audi inviting him for a free check on is injectors (and it were with him saying anthing to any one) things might be looking up?. so i told him about our problem and what happened so he is going to book it in will let you know what happens

I followed the advice on here, called Audi Uk. They called my local dealer who arranged a day to have the car. Did the inspection for free, found they had the faulty injectors so replaced everything. Dealer and Audi UK then called me to say everything was sorted. Perfect service, couldn't ask for anything more!

Hello, just seen this forum and all of this was new to me. Bought a 56 A4 S Line 170bhp two weeks ago and it failed on the way home from collecting it, still with the garage and i have not used it yet! I see from the history that 3 injectors had already been replaced and was comforted that this was the last. But from reading here it appears this does not mean my troubles are over.
Can someone confirm, if the first was replaced in 2008 and two earlier this year and this one currently being done will they all be prone to the same failure again, or has there been a desing change which means some of them are 'cured'?

i hope you have taken it in to audi to have it done free of charge and we were told that it were a design fault and there are putting new updated ones in hope things go ok for you. the other thing my mate who had letter from audi is car is only the 140 bhp and he as had is injectors done free of charge?

Thanks, the car is with the dealer(non Audi) who supplied it, its their responsibility to replace at their cost having failed on collection of the car, although I have tried to reject the car(without success). And particularly wish I had not bought since reading this forum from last night! My fault for wanting extra power I guess.
Still interested to know whether any of the ones which have/are being changed are a different design and therefore will not fail again.

rite guys i have a a4 140 tdi 06 no faults yet but do they do a free check or do they no what cars are affected? just being lazzy inn not reading full thread, what steps do i need to take to find out if mine been afected?

thanks martin

rite guys i have a a4 140 tdi 06 no faults yet but do they do a free check or do they no what cars are affected? just being lazzy inn not reading full thread, what steps do i need to take to find out if mine been afected?

thanks martin

Well if you wernt being lazy then you would have read that this issue is only the 170 versions and none of the 140s are affected lol

Well if you wernt being lazy then you would have read that this issue is only the 170 versions and none of the 140s are affected lol

But yet yazzy's friend who has the 140bhp model has had his replaced foc by audi. I would like to know if it really is restricted to the 170bhp versions. (140bhp owner!)

lazy or not mate i would phone and check leecool had a 140 so did my mate and he has had is replaced foc . but ours were the 170bhp which i think is the issue on this forum according to some but i thought we were all audi drivers nick

it says ferther down the page that it afects both 170 and 140 models. where do i start in finding out if mine is afected

Heres the geezer to speak to below guys ok. I'm still waiting on Audi myself. I was incorrectly charged, but I have since spoken to a decent guy at Audi UK. I've been offered the money I was charged refunded against an Audi service or other work that I have done there. I would prefer my money returned tho as I don't need any services from them just yet, and I really cud use that money.

John Fitch
Vehicle Safety Branch
VOSA
Berkely House
Bristol
BS5 0DA
Tel : 0117 954 2526

still waiting for refund which was promised by audi 4 weeks ago

thanks audi uk.ive got my full refund in the bank to day only 6 weeks better late than never?

Hi guys, an update on my situation. I am still waiting for my refund from Audi, the diagnosis they ran was totally incorrect! They diagnosed my egr as faulty when they were supposed to be inspecting my injectors. Turns out that my Egr valve is functioning perfectly as it's run off a vacuum & not electronic. It turns out that the starting issue with my car is the flywheel! How can Audi have got it so wrong?
Just waiting for my refund from them, should it come.

P.s if there are any experts out there, please can you either comment or pm me. I wish to know, can a defective flywheel cause my car (56 plate A3 2.0 TDi bkd engine) to have a juddery startup? the engine feels to me that its turning over when it judders. We are talking 2-3 quick shudders & viola, we have life! The engine runs perfectly after that.
Cheers uy's n gals.

leecool sounds like u are having a bad time keep your chin up mate

Hi low fuel, did Audi actually contact you about your injectors? I have the 140 Bkd engine in mine, they said that they never heard of any cars doing this with the injectors. I kept plaguing them until they inspected my injectors. Then once they were checked they admitted the 170's go but not the 140's, WTF? I've spoken to the Audi mechanic that I've seen out of hrs & he is ademant that the 140 does not suffer from this fault. Would love to see any copies or letters people have had, so I can get my refund.
Cheers anyone who can & will help.

Hi - following up on my earlier post, after reading various comments online I submitted my complaint about the fuel injector fault to the VOSA as advised by a number of posters. Within a matter of hours, VOSA contacted me to confirm that they had discussed my case with Audi and to rest assured that the all the injectors currently installed would be replaced immediately and all costs picked up by the manufacturer. Later that day, the Audi garage called and confirmed that they would replace all the injectors as an act of goodwill from Audi and that we could pick the car up the following day. I've no idea if they would have said this anyway or if this was as a result of VOSA's intervention. Decided best not to ask...

Picked up the car last night and for the first time in a long time, it runs really well.

Generally disappointed that it took so long to identify root cause and that my family and I were exposed to what I now see as very unnecessary risks but pleased with the eventual remedial, and prompt, action from Audi and VOSA. I strongly advise involving VOSA if you have problems with these parts..[/QUOTE

Am a newbie to this forum having had my 07 A4 SLine Quattro 170 go into limp mode on outside lane doing 70 or so. Glow plug light on Engine didnt die completely and brakes and power steering remained OK. Managed to get to service station and ring Audi who said it might be turbo problem or fuel filter or something else. But try turning engine off and back on as ecu might reset. Did this and all OK for a short time.....but happened again and had to pull over and go through reset again. My concern having read through this thread is that what I have is a precursor to the injectors failing and that I would potentially loose braking and power steering etc. So contacted VOSA and within 3 hours received the following reply from John Fitch:-

"Thank you for your email and defect report.

I have attached a copy of the information we pass out for injector failures. This defect normally cuts the engine dead. It does appear that your vehicle is suffering from a problem and going into limp home mode which is an industry standard used by all manufacturers to prevent the engine being damaged and allowing the driver to get the vehicle to a safe location.

If you follow the advise on the note then Audi may change your injectors if they are of the type affected by the known defect, but I don't think that from what have described this is your defect at the moment.

Injector problems
Following detailed negotiations between VOSA and the vehicle manufacturer, VW-Audi Group (VAG) has agreed to replace all the injectors originally fitted to VAG group vehicles.

If any of the original injectors has already been replaced, VAG will reimburse customers who have paid for this work themselves even if the work was completed outside of their authorised network.

If your vehicle is within the range of vehicles affected then all four injectors will be replaced free of charge.

To progress repairs and/or obtain a refund you should now contact the relevant VAG Customer Service Centre. If necessary, they will arrange to have your vehicle inspected at an authorised repairer free of charge. The contact telephone number you need to ring is 0800 0833914 and ask to speak to Jenny Boyd or Stefan Elliott.

VOSA will continue to work closely with the VW-Audi Group to ensure that this issue is concluded as swiftly as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Regards

John Fitch

Vehicle Safety Branch
VOSA
Berkeley House
Bristol
BS5 0DA
Tel : 0117 954 2526
Fax : 0117 954 3328
Mobile : 07803 020909
e-mail John.Fitch@vosa.gsi.gov.uk"

So it seems that perseverence of many on this thread is paying off - will check with Audi UK to see if they accept that mine is fitted with the defective batch of injectors and if so will that they will replace FOC. I see that there is nothing in the VOSA letter about the wiring loom....Will post again when I know which way this is going.

Took my 56 plate 170 in for an MOT this week and when asked is there anything you'd like us to look at I asked if they could check if I had the defective injectors. Hmmmm, they said. I'll speak to the mechanics and see.

When I went back to pick it up got a sort of answer which went along the lines off - we can check without pulling the car apart. Best to drive it for now and see if a warning light comes on, if it doesn't I'm sure you'll be fine. If it does fail we'll swap them out FOC though.

I like the fact they'll do the work (as if they have a choice) but am surprised they can't confirm what parts are fitted using the chassis number.

So should I chance it or get insist they check at it's next service (assuming it doesn't fail before then)?

Dad has had the injector(s) fail on his A4 170 TDI this week.
Lucky not to be involved in an accident - total power loss - no warning, he managed to coast to a halt in a relatively safe place (good job it hadn't happened 100 yards earlier). He bought the car second hand from Audi and so it is covered by a 12 month warrantee and Audi recovery service. They took the car to the nearest dealership (South Hereford) and it's having all 4 injectors replaced plus the loom.

My question is - do they replace the injectors with an upgraded or different version?*
i:e will the problem happen again in a few years time?
Also will the work be covered for 1 year? 2 years? or will it be mileage related?

Thanks,

Ryan

*now found out the 'new' injectors are part number V03G130073TX

(I've now read the whole thread and on numerous posts this part number is referred to not as a new part, but a refurbed part)

Last edited:
Hi all
What is the case if the car has not been serviced by Audi....just got an a3 but services have been at an independent garage...
Derek

Manufacturers are replacing these and also giving people money back if they have had them fitted elsewhere. Atleast the cost has come down dramatically!!!

My question is - do they replace the injectors with an upgraded or different version?*
i:e will the problem happen again in a few years time?
Also will the work be covered for 1 year? 2 years? or will it be mileage related?

After a prolonged conversation at the dealership yesterday afternoon, we were told that neither the work nor parts would be covered by any sort of gaurantee due to the dealership footing the bill and doing the work for free - can this be correct?

After a prolonged conversation at the dealership yesterday afternoon, we were told that neither the work nor parts would be covered by any sort of gaurantee due to the dealership footing the bill and doing the work for free - can this be correct?

Yes this is correct. If you have a part replaced 2 days before warranty expires then a week later it fails no warranty unless you pay a contribution. gotta love dealer loop holes

Yes this is correct. If you have a part replaced 2 days before warranty expires then a week later it fails no warranty unless you pay a contribution. gotta love dealer loop holes

Pretty sure that is illegal. Don't care what the dealership says about loopholes.

My car was a 1 year out of warranty when the my failed injector was swapped, and that part failed within 4 months...

It was fitted by an independant, but as it was a TPS part (Audi supplied basically) it had to be changed under the 1 year warranty that came with it... and it was, no questions asked... by Audi nevertheless... anyone who accepts these stealth fees deserves to be ripped off if they don't challenge this obvious theft.

brigthy66 - my car went into that limp mode a number of times before the injectors finally let go and cut the engine dead. Audi had taken several looks at the car and replaced various valves and filters. They even talked about maybe the turbo being a problem. The word "injector" was never used which annoys me now as this is clearly a common fault on this model. In fairness, I believe the only way they know for sure is from the engine computer print out and when it's going into limp mode, there were no smoking gun error codes logged. That only happened for us the final time when everything on the car shut down.

I strongly advise you get Audi to take a look at your fuel injectors. Perhaps if they won't replace, ask them for an assurance that the parts have no known faults and are 100% safe.

Have my a3 booked in tomorrow for checking/Replacing injectors and wiring loom.
Fingers crossed they get changed!

RAC just dropped off my B7 to Milton Keynes Audi. Tomorrow will find out if it's free or not.

My car did cut off few days ago and didn't start since. I spoke to someone from Audi UK and booked it in for check at MK Audi.
Yesterday RAC dropped off the car at the dealers. Today I received a call that the car starts and drives fine and they can't find any fault. Obviously it didn't start even once since the incident. Guy from RAC couldn't start it either.
I still want to have injectors checked but not sure if they understand why.

Posted this in another thread but will put it here too, does this sound like injectors on the way out (really hoping that is what it is, only had the car a few months and don't want an expensive repair bill):

I have a May 2007 Audi A4 Avant 2.0tdi (170bhp)

Only had it about 3 months and today I stalled at traffic lights after a motorway drive (not uncommon, seems to stall very easily at low revs?).

Few hundred metres later major loss of power to the extent it would barely go up a small incline (i.e. 1st gear, small incline and riding clutch to stop stalling, not limp home mode but virtually dead mode!). I stopped, turned everything off and started agin, would creep up to 3000 revs whilst stood still. Sat revving for a few minutes and then everything clicked back in again and drove OK for a couple of miles.

Just done another short journey 5m journey and a few miles in glow plug light started flashing and down on power again, not so dramatically but wont run over 3000 revs. Think that is limp mode?

Any ideas - is this symptoms of injectors or maybe something else? Brake lights working, bit of an odd smell - plasticy?

I have thought car had a little less power than I expected since I got it but nothing to base that on, just gut feeling?

I can take it to an indy to have a look but if injectors I guess I should go to Audi direct for a freebie?

Last edited:
brigthy66 - my car went into that limp mode a number of times before the injectors finally let go and cut the engine dead. Audi had taken several looks at the car and replaced various valves and filters. They even talked about maybe the turbo being a problem. The word "injector" was never used which annoys me now as this is clearly a common fault on this model. In fairness, I believe the only way they know for sure is from the engine computer print out and when it's going into limp mode, there were no smoking gun error codes logged. That only happened for us the final time when everything on the car shut down.

I strongly advise you get Audi to take a look at your fuel injectors. Perhaps if they won't replace, ask them for an assurance that the parts have no known faults and are 100% safe.

Is your OK since injectors done then? Sounds very like what happened to me today. Car starts but intermittantly down on power from limp mode to virtually no power at all.

After the last call from Audi MK that the car starts and drives no problem, I called straight away Audi UK.
After 5 minute chat to Emanuel (if I remember correctly) he called audi in MK.
Few minutes later I receive a call back from him that all 4 injectors will be replaced FOC and today in the morning
received a call from Audi MK that it has now been done. Picking car up on Saturday morning because I'm away right now but overall excellent service from people working at Audi UK and Audi MK.
Now saved cash I can spend on some nice 19's ;D