Anyone else with this problem on 2006 2.0 TDi? Injectors...

have any of your guys with rough tickover had the compression/cylinder leakage test done? ive repaired two 2.0l tdi golfs in two months with oval exhaust valve seats?

the last one (07 plate) had compressions of 360psi on 1,2+4 but no.3 was sub 300. new valve and valve seat reground and sorted.

had a few 3cyl petrol polos with this too...... often misdiagnosed as inj/ecu fault.... as once the ecu works out its a misfire problem on that cyl it cuts fuel injector driver for that cylinder.

just to add...... these cars are sh1t.

fsi engines are also crap. infact im surprised 20 year old cars arnt more expensive than new ones! the're far more reliable and cheaper to fix!

Hope people remembered to email Watchdog today, if not please email tomorrow if possible... we'll see what happens... thanks again.

Used phrases like fatality and ticking time bomb, hope this gets there attention.

my car has been into audi for the injectors to be replaced under warranty (after an injector failure) but since the repair there has been a sort of flat spot between 1000 and 2000 rpm not noticeable when accelerating but when holding speed it feels like there is no diesel coming though then it will pick up. It happens in all gears but is most noticable in 2nd and 3rd.

Has anyone else had this problem? wondering if only one injector was replaced and now another one is on its way out? Any suggestions to put to audi would be appreciated.

well have taken my car into audi this morning lets see how things go.

Hi there yazzy, just a quick update! Got an email from VOSA this morning telling me that both the 170 & the 140 engines are affected! They gave me a tel no to contact VAG Customer Service on 0800699888 and ask for Victoria Carter or Isabelle Lindley. I did this & they're raising an investigation & also are going to contact the Audi dealership I took my car into, to get me a refund.:yahoo:
Will keep everyone posted. Remember both engines are affected not just the 170 like 1st thought.
Fight them all the way!:angrymod:

Got an email from VOSA this morning telling me that both the 170 & the 140 engines are affected!

Well that's odd, because AFAIK the 140 has a completely different injector design, from a different manufacturer.

I can only pass info on from what VOSA has told me. Seems that it has been kept quiet??
We are talking £1000's here not 100's should we have to pay & thats just not cricket.
If anyone is unsure, use the tel no's to find out.
good luck y'all

Well that's odd, because AFAIK the 140 has a completely different injector design, from a different manufacturer.

Audi uk contacted me and asked if i had taken my car in yet to have the injectors checked.
I told them it was a 140 and it didnt suffer with that problem and he replied it does and they need to be checked.

I havent done it yet but just a heads up for all those wondering.

My car went into Audi yesterday replaced other 3 injectors, loom but also needed another part that they could not get until this morning. Rang me about 10.30 this morning to collect. Been and picked up car, cleaned inside and out and all work FOC ! Seems to have better acceleration and smoother drive. Also according to display now seems to be doing 35-40mpg round town, whereas before it went in only doing 20-30mpg.

Be interested to see how many 140's have failed , I can honestly say I don't know of any.

Last edited:
Update
My
injectors and wiring loom were replaced free of charge by Hitchin Audi but I wasn't impressed with their attitude ...they still wont admit that it is a common fault.

Watchdog has been contacted on my part and I hope lots of others do as well !!!

Hi everyone,
I discovered this forum 2days ago as I wanted info on the injector problem with 2006 tdi 170 models and I'm so glad I did. After reading all the valuable information posted by members on here I persued the VOSA and Audi uk route and my car is now at Plymouth Audi (who have been great so far) having all 4 injectors replaced and wiring harness FOC. So a massive thank you to everybody on here for your help advice and for getting this problem recognised with VOSA and Audi uk. My car only broke down 3 days ago and already it's being sorted, this is down to all of you. I've now joined this forum as one day I hope I can be of some help in return. Once again a massive thank you. Ian

:icon_thumright:

Its good to see all the effort has paid off for all, shame not everyone will know about this .

car running fine its the best its been mpg up. Alot more power thanks to everyone on this forum will keep having alook and up dating . thanks nick & amanda

OK so I have the 140 and I thought my symptoms where in my head cause we first thought it was only the 170 models effected. Since then we have found its both. A VAG fault reader showed a injector or wiring loom fault on my car. Im guessing its the same fault as everyone else is getting so now where do I stand? My car is a 2005 bought from a independant dealer with non audi service history so am I on my own here? Will I have to foot the bill for replacements due to the service history and not being purchased at audi? Its hard to swallow, you buy a car like audi because you think your buying a quality car but this happens and it shows there just the same as the others just more expensive parts :crying:

My car was bought from an independent dealer over one year ago (2007 A4 2.0 Tdi) had FASH, but I had it serviced at an independent garage in July. Just had all injectors and loom changed FOC by Audi, just waiting for a refund for 1st injector.

My car was bought from an independent dealer over one year ago (2007 A4 2.0 Tdi) had FASH, but I had it serviced at an independent garage in July. Just had all injectors and loom changed FOC by Audi, just waiting for a refund for 1st injector.

Yazzy, did you just take it straight to your local audi dealership or did you ring a helpline first and get passed on to the dealership? I mean do I just go to my local dealer or should I contact someone first??

We rang local Audi and they quoted 2100 pounds for work to be done and denied knowing about any faults with injector, so had 1 injector changed at a local independent garage costing 631.00. Then I found this site, I followed instructions to put a safety defect in to VOSA, had an email back telling me that Audi have agreed to replace injectors and loom if found to be the faulty ones and gave me Audi UK customer service number to contact (08006999388) who were very helpful. I phoned them on Saturday and he took details and rang me back Monday, told me to ring my local Audi and gave me a contact name to ask for. When we rang back and booked car in, and got other 3 injectors and loom changed this week at no cost to us. Also said they will refund us the 631.00 that we already paid for 1st injector.

Call Audi Uk customer services, 0800699388. We contacted local Audi and they denied any known faults and wanted to charge us. Audi UK sorted it out, I just had to ring back and book in at local Audi for work done free of charge.

I have a 2007 (57) A4 170PS. BRD engine code. Is it possible to have injectors replaced FOC if I didn't have a fault yet?
I do 95% of motorway mileage and really don't want my car to die at 70-80mph.

I got Audi to change mine free the car went into Audi for diagnosis for something else which i thought was an injector problem and i kept preeching about the injector problem which they told me my car already had the updated injectors but i knew it didn't have as i had already priced some new ones up at another dealers and they told me the original injectors had been super seeded by another injector part number anyway basically while Audi HQ kept me updated with the diagnosis i just kept telling them that regardless of whether the injectors are faulty at this point or not the potential is there all the time for them to pack up so in the end they replaced free of charge but still haven't got to the bottom of the problem it went in for but be warned the dealers don't like it when people start going on at them about this injector problem they basically start talking in jargon and try to make out you don't know a thing about cars.

slepy we are from rotherham and we have ours done at sheff they are well aware of the problem so i would phone and say u know someone who has just had theres done there hope this helps .nick

thanks yazzy
Will contact audi HQ and see what they say.

Hi guys! Well I have had a mare with Audi!!
My car went in last Monday for the injector checkup & I was made to sign a disclaimer, if anything found falls outside their goodwill gesture I will be charged £107.40. I was fine with this as I only wanted my injectors checked.
They came back & said the injectors are working fine, but my EGR valve is sticking. I told them they were only to check the injectors & that it is free! Oh no, nothing's for free here mate they said. I asked them had they performed the check on the injector ser no's & he was perplexed & answered they're working fine!:banghead:
I thought f**k this I need my car, paid & left.
When I got in I contacted both Audi UK & VOSA. VOSA said the checks are free, & Audi UK rebooked my car in for yesterday (Monday 3rd) to have the correct check performed on my injectors.
It was checked & cleared of any probs & it was free.
I then asked for my money back as they performed the incorrect checkup on my car the week previously. No way were they giving back my money.
Now the showroom by me is intimidating with all the R8's everywhere & money dripping off the showroom walls. I wasn't gonna stand there & make a t*t out of myself.
I went home & called Audi UK, I requested very nicely that my money be refunded. Nope! Audi UK have backtracked & are NOT refunding me period.
:blownose:I've just put all of this in a large letter to Watchdog.
Watch this space I suppose.

P.s Whilst talking to the rep on way back to my car about both the 140 & the 170 being affected, he said Audi only recognise the 170's as a maybe.
Yet I've got it in black & white from VOSA that both engines are affected.
Wot a bunch of crooks!!!:puke2:

Sorry guys to ask the question but does this also affect the 140 2.0 TDIs? Had to replace a failed injector last year (Dec) and would very much like that £600+ cost refunded and the other 3 changed FOC!! Infamous BLB engine with modified balance shaft drive.
Grateful for a stear. Assume it's an approach to Audi CS via the 0800 number etc etc.
Thanks in advance

The quick answer is; no this doesn't affect the 140 bhp engines.

But of course there could be another problem...

Hi all,

I have an Audi A4 Avant 56 plate with the 2.0tdi 170 engine.

I am currently away from home with work, but my parents went to start my car for me and run it for a while and it now wont start.

I have been told that it does turn over but it doesn't fire and it sounds different to normal when it turns over.

Reading through this forum I am afraid that I am suffering with the same injector problem? But I wanted to check if other peoples engines would also turn over but not fire when they experienced the problem?

The only other option I / my parents can think of is that it might be a fault with the immobiliser? - What are peoples thoughts?

Also assuming that it is the problem would I be best getting the RAC to take it straight to my dealer or should I call/email Audi UK central and try to get it booked in through them?

Thus far I have had a very good relationship with my Audi dealer and my car has always been serviced with them since new, but I am unsure that if they diagnose the problem whether they need authorisation from Audi UK Central Customer Services to replace all injectors and wiring loom FOC? - Assuming that is the problem of course.

If it is the injector problem I can only think of myself as very lucky that it didn't happen when I was back home and out driving it!

Would very much appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts/comments? - If it does turn out to be the injector issue I am happy to contribute to any complaint forms so as to try and get a recall issued.

Maybe if VOSA weren't spineless, you'd have received a letter warning you of the problem before hand... alas their latest instruction was to tell us to stop contacting them... too many complaints gave them a headache.

You should get the injectors diagnosed and changed ANYWAY. I would call Audi UK, get the FREE diagnosis and FREE injectors + loom booked in... If it turns out to be something else, fine, let them fix it, but you still need the rest swapped.

Whether it has been serviced with them is irrelevant, they tried pushing that excuse at me a year ago. Your relationship with them should not matter either, it's a safety issue that should be resolved for all, not just between friends.

If it is the injectors, why not ask VOSA why you were not warned about it seeing as they look after our safety? If any of these 170s pass MOT with the old injectors, then I guess the defect is not an issue to them is it?

I reckon a jellyfish would have more backbone to stand up to VAG and tell them to SORT-IT-OUT. Until there is a recal, all I can see is an attempt to let the issue die out and save themselves money. Only people who research the topic know about it, everyone else pays up and leaves... suits VAG fine.

this is really getting up my back i cant stop thinking about it if my wife had have been driving at the time the car went.She does alot of motorway driving it might have been bad. i feel like stoping every audi and telling them. get something done about it vag before someone gets killed in a rta

Hi there JFARHEAD , I'm sure you have been following this thread, have you seen what Audi & Audi UK have put me through. I am disgusted with them!
They performed the wrong diagnosis & charged me £107.40 because they found that my EGR valve is dodgy. I didn't ask for that, I asked them to check that the injectors I had in my engine were not the faulty 1's. To get my car back I had to pay & then contact Audi UK when I got home. Kelly from Audi UK was very forthcoming & told My local Audi dealer to rebook & recheck the injector ser no's. This was FOC! When I signed my car out of my local dealership, I asked about my refund. No chance there! Got in contacted Kelly from Audi UK again & asked for my refund & she said no too. I'm taking this all the way! They performed the incorrect checkup & I was made to pay!:blownose:

I hope you paid by Credit Card.

Call the card company and tell them there is a disputed transaction, you were charged for a service that was not requested and were forced to pay becuase they would not release the car otherwise. You want a complete reversal of the payment, which was only done because your livelihood is dependant on the availability of your vehicle.

The problem is then between Audi and the credit card company. When you pay by CC, the contract is between you and the card, not you and Audi. Let Audi slug it out with Mastercard or VISA...

If you already knew this, sorry for boring you, otherwise this is 100% better than going down small claims.

(this is where you say I paid by CC...)

help ? can any one tell me if the seat leon 170bhp vfr has the same problem with the fuel injectors as one of my friends has just one on a 10 plate. i have told them about the problem that i had and now they or abit worried that it might happen to them nick

help ? can any one tell me if the seat leon 170bhp vfr has the same problem with the fuel injectors as one of my friends has just one on a 10 plate. i have told them about the problem that i had and now they or abit worried that it might happen to them nick

Nope.. Don't know what that engine is. But if its a 2010 2.0 tdi it will be a common rail diesel which is different. AFAIK they came in 2008

it is the 20tdi 170 bhp but if its a different engine it wont have the problem hopefully . thanks nick

Just been trying to start my A3. Its a 170tdi on an 07 plate. It turns over but will not start, doesn't even splutter as if its trying to? I wasn't driving it, it started earlier with no issue but now it won't run?

Anyone think it might be this injector issue? Shame audi couldn't tell me about this issue!

we could not start our car just the same it would turn over but would not start i would get audi phoned mate