Anyone else with this problem on 2006 2.0 TDi? Injectors...

be real helpful for VAG to release some FACTS...

Releasing facts = admitting the problem publically... now why would VAG want to go ahead and do that when they are clearly avoiding a recall.

their policy is that as long as you've had at least one service with a dealer

They're still not admitting a problem if it's not open to all cars regardless of history, avoiding a recall obviously.

VOSA will still be on their case though as it does not solve the safety issue... ie has to fail first. There should be no "conditions" to the replacement, but that would effectively be a recall without a letter being sent out to everyone... hence the clause, and the loophole.

Audi UK called me and they will be reimburing ALL the cost of my replacements plus will replace ALL the injectors for free!

The hard work and perseverance is paying off guys! Let's keep going, I may not have the A4 anymore but I'll still fight this corner all the way!

Will update asap on what is happening, I've been given a case number and an email to re-send receipts to. Hope you guys get the call too.

Just got my call from Amy at audi uk offering refund of repairs and free replacement.
I didn't have FASH and they were replaced at an indie.
Obviously a very happy bunny but it should never have come to this!
Well done to you guys but it will take some time to restore my faith in the brand.

Audi UK called me and they will be reimburing ALL the cost of my replacements plus will replace ALL the injectors for free!

The hard work and perseverance is paying off guys! Let's keep going, I may not have the A4 anymore but I'll still fight this corner all the way!

Will update asap on what is happening, I've been given a case number and an email to re-send receipts to. Hope you guys get the call too.

I just received a similar call from one of the directors PA's.

Invoices are being sent tomorrow!

Just got a courtesy call from VOSA, looks like they are also working with their Dutch and German equivalents on this issue too.

Apparently there is a shortage of these injectors at the moment so it could well be the case that there may be a recall when they are replenished, but time will tell, and the meetings continue!

jfarhead, after just reading your last few posts, I'm happy to see that you (and others) will be re-imbursed for the payments they have made for these injectors, however, also a shame that this news from Audi came shortly after your move to the dark side.

Personally my A4 is in for MoT this weekend and I've noticed a drop in mpg since the new injector has gone in much to my disbelief after my initial thought that I was getting better mpg, down from about 42 to 38.................

Hopefully, I'll get a similar call from VOSA or Audi UK that all the other injectors will be replaced, and then I'll be in a position that my wife will get into the car again.

As you have done, i've also thought and looked at the option of getting another car, for me this has been the CR 140. But considering I only got the car at the end of March, I'm reluctant to lose so much cash on another trade in and find the money for a newer car.

It's people like yourself that show why the internet is such a powerful tool for the consumer, and hope that you don't become the typical BMW driver !!!!

I had the same call to was told that my local dealer would be in contact with me to arrange collection of me car to replace all 4 injectors for the new modified type still waiting for the call off them but hopefully this is a step towards every 170 owner having a safe reliable car to drive again fingers crossed. If vag do recall all of them it will restore some ofmy faith in the brand as I do really love the car and cant find anything else as an equivalent replacement yet

i might take a trip to my dealer today, book a service and get a letter from them admitting that they will replace the injectors for free if any of them fail.

Thats great news about getting your money back guys, all the hard work and constant hassle of letters etc have paid off!

i might take a trip to my dealer today, book a service and get a letter from them admitting that they will replace the injectors for free if any of them fail.

Thats great news about getting your money back guys, all the hard work and constant hassle of letters etc have paid off!

Email Audi UK, VOSA and your dealer with your concerns and details of your car, that way you're at the front of the queue for a swap and they are aware you know of the issue and you have chased it, it also keeps reports and pressure on.

Email Audi UK, VOSA and your dealer with your concerns and details of your car, that way you're at the front of the queue for a swap and they are aware you know of the issue and you have chased it, it also keeps reports and pressure on.

Will do mate, what department of audi uk? or will customer services do fine?

Customer Services is fine, it's just so there is a record that you contacted them. Best case scenario is they call you up and advise you to head down to your local dealer and get them swapped.

You never know which way their policy will shift and for what reasons, so I would be inclined to get my concern recorded now while they have the free-swap policy and refunds.

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted already but my mate who had an injector fail has had a call from Audi UK. They are refunding the cost of his injector, (replaced by an independent) and replacing his other 3, free of charge. He doesn't have main dealer history, he just logged a complaint with Audi from advice given from guys on here. He passes on his thanks.
Top result I'm sure you'll agree.

I've had a call from Audi UK as well. Refunding what I had paid towards my replacement injector and organising for it to go back into the service centre to have the injectors checked and replaced if they are not the new type.

I asked if it was a recall and if the car is safe to drive till the work is done. He said it wasn't a recall, but they were being proactive in replacing the faulty parts and that the car was safe to drive untill I could get it into the centre.

All in all, I've been impressed with the customer service Audi have offered, although it would always be nice if they could get to the bottom of any issue faster. I'm very pleased that this positive outcome means I can keep and have confidence in a car I always wanted.

I would just like to say that I too have just had a call from the Customer Relations Manager at Audi UK - and he has also invited me to an Audi dealer to have all my remaining injectors proactively replaced - and a refund for the cost of the first one that went.

Result - looks like people power has worked. They've done the right thing.

However - can you believe this - someone actually rear-ended me this morning smashing in my boot - so I now have to get that repaired first!

What a day!

I have also just been called and told they are refunding the all te costs for my injectors:hubbahubba: 1 hr later a lovely Lady called Chelsea call to tell me the cheque has be requested and will be with me in 28 days. They are calling then to check all is ok. Hope this will roll out to all of you other than main dealer users!

Last edited:
i recieved a call from audi recalling my car to check all four injectors and replace the remaining 3 with the new uptodate injectors. followed by a call from the dealer booking my car in for the work.....

Guys who have acted on this like myself through vosa. i thank you. i was number 70 who put the report in haha

Hi All, my 02 A6 1.9TDI SLine is blowing alot of black smoke, 1st noticed about a month ago. Started it when cold and tried to take off but ended up stalling it, thought it was operator error but tried taking off again and same happened, so when I started it again I said I'd rev it a little but there was very little response. Put the peddle to the floor but the rev counter was very very slow coming up. When going up a small bit of an incline it seemed to struggle and I even had to stop half way up the incline to clutch it and try to get the revs up a bit but again very little response with alot of smoke but when it hit 2500 rpm it took off as normal with a plume of black smoke. This is happening more regularly now, happens when both cold and hot. When it does happen in 1st or 2nd gear there seems to be a hell of alot of black smoke. At 1st I was thinking it was the turbo but there is no whining noise and seems to work fine over 2500rpm expect for the plume of smoke. Tried injection cleaner also but no joy. At this stage I'm uneasy pulling out onto a roundabout or main road because if it happens then it could get me in a bit of trouble. I'm wondering did this happen to anyone here or did anyone hear of this happening.

Thanks in advance.​

Just to add to my ealrier post - like a few of you here I have had a follow up call from Audi UK and a few minutes later a call from Audi Hitchin booking teh car in to have the remaining 3 injectors replaced.

A big thank you to those that started this campaign - I know I'm not the only one to have benefitted. Lets hope that this lays the issue to rest

I have just emailed Audi UK with the following and wait their reply with baited breath... can anyone point me in the right direction for contacting VOSA for further assistance with my case?

Hi there,

I own an A4 S Line Avant with the 170hp TDI engine. The car is currently on a personalised registration but was previously registered as a 56 plate. We are the second owners of this car and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed a flat spot in the rev range and hesitancy while driving which has led me to an Audi forum where I have discovered the following thread alerting drivers to the high failure rate of the injector system which leads to immediate shut down of the engine and in past cases costly repair.

The thread can be found here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/104538-anyone-else-problem-2006-2-0-tdi-injectors.html

I understand that this is an issue affecting all 170hp TDI engines in the VAG range and whilst a recall has not yet been made VOSA are involved and the information available suggests that it may soon happen.

Our Avant is mainly used by my wife who uses it to transport my 5 month old child. However, knowing about this potentially life threatening problem with these cars I am seriously concerned about their safety.

I am therefore writing to you to ask that you look into the history of my A4 and arrange for the new and updated design injectors to be fitted before its too late. I believe my car has FASH and we certainly plan to keep it that way in the future.

I look forward to hearing back from you and appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks and best regards,

Phil

Last edited:
Hi All, my 02 A6 1.9TDI SLine is blowing alot of black smoke, 1st noticed about a month ago. Started it when cold and tried to take off but ended up stalling it, thought it was operator error but tried taking off again and same happened, so when I started it again I said I'd rev it a little but there was very little response. Put the peddle to the floor but the rev counter was very very slow coming up. When going up a small bit of an incline it seemed to struggle and I even had to stop half way up the incline to clutch it and try to get the revs up a bit but again very little response with alot of smoke but when it hit 2500 rpm it took off as normal with a plume of black smoke. This is happening more regularly now, happens when both cold and hot. When it does happen in 1st or 2nd gear there seems to be a hell of alot of black smoke. At 1st I was thinking it was the turbo but there is no whining noise and seems to work fine over 2500rpm expect for the plume of smoke. Tried injection cleaner also but no joy. At this stage I'm uneasy pulling out onto a roundabout or main road because if it happens then it could get me in a bit of trouble. I'm wondering did this happen to anyone here or did anyone hear of this happening.

Thanks in advance.​

This happened to my mum's 1999 1.9TDi B6 and it was the turbo in the end. It was swapped and oil was changed, now it runs fine. I'd suggest starting a separate thread for your issue as this one will be mostly viewed by 2.0 owners chasing the injector problem, 1.9 guys will be able to see your query then :)

I have just emailed Audi UK with the following and wait their reply with baited breath... can anyone point me in the right direction for contacting VOSA for further assistance with my case?

Email: vsb@vosa.gov.uk

But I think they will only point you in Audi UK's direction, and update you on progress. They cannot force Audi UK to do anything for your case. As I mentioned, VAG seem to be in the process of replenishing stocks, and it looks like they have a priority list which they are working through. I reckon that once everyone with previous failures has been covered, they will get start with everyone else, just an educated guess though.

VOSA have done a good job so far and they have been updating steadily and showing results. VAG are responding correctly so far in my opinion. I reckon you will be catered for shortly though.

Right result! Just had a call from Audi UK who will look into it further but have confirmed their intention of replacing all injectors FOC... watch this space :)

Edit: update, just had a call from Colbournes Guildford an we're all booked in for Monday the 18th to have new injectors fitted! We even getting a courtesy car for the day :)

As you can imagine I'm over the moon with this result as it lifts a massive weight and worry from my mind - all thanks to this thread and the input from all the members on here that have contributed. Thank you all!!!

I'm also seriously impressed with Audi UK and the fantastic customer service I have received - will definitely tempt me away from BMW for my next company car :)

Just got my call from Amy at audi uk offering refund of repairs and free replacement.
I didn't have FASH and they were replaced at an indie.
Obviously a very happy bunny but it should never have come to this!
Well done to you guys but it will take some time to restore my faith in the brand.

On the 29th Amie emailed me stating Audi Harold Wood would be dealing with my case, heard nothing unlike you guys who got a call within the hour :(
I emailed her with a copy of the receipt for the repairs, didnt even get a reply acknowledging receipt of the email so now on Monday i have to call them both!
AUDI YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!

On the 29th Amie emailed me stating Audi Harold Wood would be dealing with my case, heard nothing unlike you guys who got a call within the hour :(
I emailed her with a copy of the receipt for the repairs, didnt even get a reply acknowledging receipt of the email so now on Monday i have to call them both!
AUDI YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!

I emailed "Amie" the next morning and have heard nothing since. I even chased by email asking for a confirmation of receipt... nothing... I'm not expecting anything until the cheque has turned into numbers in my account.

Don't expect their customer service to become any better though, remember that it took VOSA action for them to even look into it. Good customer service means AUDI UK should have taken it to VAG ON OUR BEHALF WITHOUT VOSA, not telling us it is a "coincidence", "online banter" "wear and tear" and all that cr*p... not one single manager looked into it, and ALL the dealers already knew it was an issue and swept it under the carpet...

People ARE getting them swapped it seems, so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to process these 100 claims. I am giving them a month... my dealership on the other hand gets one final week.

I've been away for a week and was told that audi uk have been trying to ring me , hope it's good news when they call back !!!

Just had a call from Audi uk.

They are refunding the costs for the failed injector last year and are going to fit another 3 new injectors free of charge - just need to call and book it in !!!!

hi guys in need of some serious advice here....i have a 2006 FR Leon 170 and i bought the car in april 2010...3 weeks after i bought the car i had to get an injector fitted which was covered under warrenty....it happened again 2 months ago and i found this forum and rang up seat customer service who paid 100% parts and labour to fix it and replace all 4 injectors....now its been perfect up untill today when another 1 has just went on me :-(

this is the third time in 15 months this has happened to me and im really not at all happy about it

What is the best advice you people can give me? would i be entitled to a refund or an exchange?....i wouldnt be happy with them replacing the injectors again and again as i really dont feel safe driving the car

PLEASE HELP!!???

What is the best advice you people can give me? would i be entitled to a refund or an exchange?....i wouldnt be happy with them replacing the injectors again and again as i really dont feel safe driving the car

PLEASE HELP!!???

From what I can gather they have now changed the design of the injectors so any fitted from now on should not fail. The old injectors had a faulty oil seal. Probably worth telling them that you want all 4 replacing with these.

From what I can gather they have now changed the design of the injectors so any fitted from now on should not fail. The old injectors had a faulty oil seal. Probably worth telling them that you want all 4 replacing with these.

sorry i forgot to mention i called my local seat garage and it was the new parts the fitted already thats why im so concearned?

That doesn't sound too good.

When I had mine replaced with the "new" part, I ended up getting some old refurb. What you are told and what is actually done may not be the same because they themselves may not know any better until part numbers are examined. So get the part numbers.

Make sure you pass on these part numbers and details of the failures to VOSA as they will keep track of it in case there are more issues or if your case is a one off. In the meantime you should not be out of pocket at any stage.

Was it the same one that failed or a different one? Did they replace the loom too?

E-mailed Audi UK CS yesterday. They called me this morning and gave me a ref to book it in. Called West London Audi to get it booked in to get it checked out.

The lady from Audi UK said they need to check the part numbers to see if they are the ones which they are using to replace with.

West London Audi said they would do a 31 point check and valet it too with every work they do. I just know there going to try and bill me!

Apparently my cheque is in the post.
Audi Harold Wood are collecting the car on the 25th and will need it a couple of days to do the work.
I have my old Saab convertible so didn't even go down the route of courtesy cars.

Rang my dealership and they don't have a clue of what's going on - not heard of cars getting free injectors etc .
:uhm: Will get back to me when they've been on to audi uk .......... tick tock

Fantastic news mate. Thanks for getting this ball rolling and it looks as if it's been a successful campaign.

Reactions: jfarhead
Had the call from Audi. car is booked in to Bridgend Audi for 'injector' inspection and replacement if necessary. This is a result but I've lost a bit of faith so I will be asking for the part numbers of the replacement parts to make sure they don't fob me off with refurbs. Should they also be replacing the loom?

If you read the thread in the SeatCupra.net forums ( MK2 Leon ) one of the latest posts is a guy that has had his injectors replaced, and one has just failed again.

Awesome.

One can only hope the dealer didn't replace them all, and just said they did.

Here's a copy of the letter going out to you lucky folk from VAGOC forums

untitled-4.png

Last edited: