Anyone else seen there insurance premiums jump A LOT from last years!?

A4 Matt

Reaction score
As per title have any of you peeps seen your insurance renewal for this year go through the roof?

Mine is up for renewal later this month, and yesterday I had the letter through from my insurer (post office) with my renewal for this year and compared to last year there's been a hike in price of something like £130!!!!

Ok I had an accident earlier this year (guy ran into the back of me), but it's obviously a " no fault" accident, liability has already been admitted, my car repaired and an amount for compo has been submitted, but surely THIS shouldn't have had THAT much of an effect?, if anything I'd have said it shouldn't have affected me at all being as it's the other party at fault!?!?

Only thing i can think is that there has been a HUGE jump in the cost of insurance over this last year, but that goes against what I've been hearing on the news, in that insurance premiums have fallen???

I was dead happy with last years quote of £385 fully comp, but this years quite at £505 is a total joke!

Relax!

The renewal premium is a computer generated one, 9 time out of 10 it's always more expensive than what you paid! Who the hell even renews their insurance without even shopping around? Just do the same thing as everyone else every year, and shop online if the cars standard, or call the site sponsors if it's modified. Once you get your best quote, go back to your original insurer, and tell them to beat the quote. Even if they match the quote or go over by a fiver, you are staying, because it's less paperwork and stress for you to stay! ;)

Relax!

The renewal premium is a computer generated one, 9 time out of 10 it's always more expensive than what you paid! Who the hell even renews their insurance without even shopping around? Just do the same thing as everyone else every year, and shop online if the cars standard, or call the site sponsors if it's modified. Once you get your best quote, go back to your original insurer, and tell them to beat the quote. Even if they match the quote or go over by a fiver, you are staying, because it's less paperwork and stress for you to stay! ;)

Tried the "match this" approach before and it's worked once/ failed twice! Lol!, twice I've been told "sorry we cannot match that let alone beat it!"

Does Chris knot cover boggo standard stuff or are they modified only?!?

I'd like to think I could better last years tbh @ £385'ish, tried the comparison sites last night but kept hitting the wall as they want to know the total cost of my current claim & I haven't got a clue!??, emailed my solicitor last night to see if he can advise on that front!

Still it's disgusting though trying it on for an extra £130!, bet there are some out there who'd just accept it & pay!, not me I always shop around! Shame I can't get cover through Greenlight though, was with them 5 yrs on modded cars and no one could ever better them:(

Hi,

If you haven't already tried us, feel free to PM me your details & I'll arrange a call back from our Quotes Team.

Regards
Dan

I never accept the renewal. One year HIC hiked my renewal to over £800, I just laughed at them. Couple of phone calls later they matched the £420 I was quoted elsewhere.

Not looking forward to this year as i now have a non fault accident to declare :(

I never accept the renewal. One year HIC hiked my renewal to over £800, I just laughed at them. Couple of phone calls later they matched the £420 I was quoted elsewhere.

Not looking forward to this year as i now have a non fault accident to declare :(

Don't be so quick to worry.

Last year I had an "at fault" one, technically it was my fault as misleading signals are no longer a reason (basically someone indicated to turn, looked at the junction, slowed and moved to turn. I pulled out [it's one of those junctions where you just have to go] and all of sudden said driver decided to carry on and ran into my front wing).

This years premium dropped from last year.

Alot depends on your age, years driving and no claims bonus (mine was protected).

I then moved from my old car (sluggish diesel barge) to an S4 and my premium went up by £40 annually.

A4 Matt: How old are you? Due to recent sex discrimination rulings, the premiums for women have been rising to match mens (as they were always cheaper). They have been dropping mens premiums towards the womens too as a kinda halfway house so they don't have to raise the womens too much, swings and roundabouts for the insurance companies.

What this has meant though is that younger drivers have seen their premiums rise, not really due to age but more to do with years driving and No Claims bonuses. If you are a bloke and over 30 (and been driving since 17 with decent NCBs) then you should be expecting a decent drop in premiums.

Just shop about, if they can't or won't match any better deals you can get then just leave. It's their loss.

Don't be so quick to worry.

Last year I had an "at fault" one, technically it was my fault as misleading signals are no longer a reason (basically someone indicated to turn, looked at the junction, slowed and moved to turn. I pulled out [it's one of those junctions where you just have to go] and all of sudden said driver decided to carry on and ran into my front wing).

This years premium dropped from last year.

Alot depends on your age, years driving and no claims bonus (mine was protected).

I then moved from my old car (sluggish diesel barge) to an S4 and my premium went up by £40 annually.

A4 Matt: How old are you? Due to recent sex discrimination rulings, the premiums for women have been rising to match mens (as they were always cheaper). They have been dropping mens premiums towards the womens too as a kinda halfway house so they don't have to raise the womens too much, swings and roundabouts for the insurance companies.

What this has meant though is that younger drivers have seen their premiums rise, not really due to age but more to do with years driving and No Claims bonuses. If you are a bloke and over 30 (and been driving since 17 with decent NCBs) then you should be expecting a decent drop in premiums.

Just shop about, if they can't or won't match any better deals you can get then just leave. It's their loss.

Me I'm 36 matey, got full ncb of 9yrs, been driving 15yrs and only 1 sp30!

Hi,

If you haven't already tried us, feel free to PM me your details & I'll arrange a call back from our Quotes Team.

Regards
Dan

Hi Dan,

Are ady flux now covering standard cars too then?, I was with you guys years ago, but back then it was only performance and modified cars!????

If your now covering boggo standard diesels etc like mine then yeah I'll drop you a pm at some point soon bud

Cheers
Matt.

In that case shop about and if you can find something better and they wont match it then tell them to shove it.

I had this a few years back when I my old insurer nearly doubled my premiums for no reason (no bumps, claims, car change, address change). I told them I could get a better deal elsewhere....not only back to my previous years, but beating it, they refused to match it and I took my business elsewhere. I then also moved my house insurance, life insurance and misuses car when they came up.

No loss for you.

Well I've spoken to my insurer and asked WHY my premium has jumped up like it has, and was basically told that they've had to quote with the assumption that my current claim will go against me (don't see how it ever could as liability has already been admitted and my car repaired!)

I asked when this is found in my favour will there be a rebate/refund etc, and there will be, and there lower quote is £30 dearer than last year. I shopped around on the price comparison sites and also spoke to Adrian flux and non of them are really any cheaper than my current insurer either:( - looks like I've basically got to take the hit financially and then I'll get some money back when I win and the claim is settled.

Did a comparison site quote with the accident listed as settled in my favour and all costs and excess recovered (which I can't do at present) and things get much better, to the point that I can get cheaper quotes than last years £350 fully comp, basically though ATM my "ongoing" claim is shafting me and all insurers see me as a potential higher risk so all there quotes are priced accordingly!

Just ashame that my claim will not be sorted in time for my renewal and I will have initially pay waaaaay over the odds!

Would like to ask who you guys are insured with and how good you've found them to be (especially if you have had to claim!), Just had a call back from the Post office (my current insurer), and they have come back now saying that my claim is now listed as settled and they quoted me a new renewal of £424 - down from £505. I have been on Gocomapre just now and i can definitely smash that by at least £60 if not more, but my concern is that just because a company gives you a considerably cheaper quote - it doesn't mean that they're gonna be any good if you have to claim, indeed the cheapest quote i had was with Esure, but the on-line reviews are not exactly confidence inspiring to say the least, and going on the assumption that like pretty much like everything else in life ("you get what you pay for", or "buy cheap - buy twice"), then tbh i am tempted to shy away from the cheapest of quotes to avoid the headaches of bad customer service etc.

Had a quote from Adrian Flux, but they couldn't beat the Post office, Might try Chris Knott if i have the time later on, but are there any companies that you guys use that you WOULD recommend??

As an end to this, post office ended up dropping there price to the lower amount as my insurance claim was settled in my favour, but even there lower renewal price was no where near my best quote n that was from Chris Knott!, top service from them, polite, cheap and very good level of cover too, couldn't recommend them highly enough!

FYI , Adrian flux were way off the mark n one of the dearest!

My renewal quote is amazing! I'm only going to call up one company for a quote, if they can't beat it, I'm sticking my my current insurer! They certainly know how to quote me happy! :)

Get on to Brentacre me the misses and parents are with them and never had a problem
Best of luck dude

I'm 31 with full no claims and been driving 14 years now and I pay £360 fully comp with direct line. My renewal is November and Iv already had a look about and prices vary from £280. Will have to wait for my renewal quote before I decide what to do

I'm also 31... and with Admiral... mine's just been renewed for £320, declaring all of my mods on my S3 and have both my parents as named drivers.
I paid £430 last year (with no mods declared) but I have got 6 years no claims / driving experience.

I've got a multi-car policy, my Dad's S3 is the other car on it and he paid £170 for the year with my Mam as the named driver.

On the website I was given a price of just £250 for my car, but upon phoning them they seemed to hike it up by another £70, apparently because I wasn't a new customer. Disgusting way to treat a loyal customer if you ask me, but for the price we're paying for two cars with high insurance groups it's still not too bad with all things considered.

My renewal is on 14 October, so I'm expecting the notice any time now. Last year, the figure was the same as the year before. If that happened again, I'd be well happy (hint, hint!)

Well all I can say is whatever you get, Give Chris Knott a ring, I'm glad I did, they were £50 cheaper than anywhere else i tried (for a decent policy!), could have got it cheaper still but when you look at the rep of the cheapest companies - it kinda puts you off, and the level of cover wasn't anywhere near as good!

Hopefully Chris Knott will prove to be my new Greenlight (the insurer i used when i was insuring my Leon/CTR etc), stayed with them for 5yrs running as no one could ever beat them!

Well all I can say is whatever you get, Give Chris Knott a ring, I'm glad I did, they were £50 cheaper than anywhere else i tried (for a decent policy!), could have got it cheaper still but when you look at the rep of the cheapest companies - it kinda puts you off, and the level of cover wasn't anywhere near as good!

Hopefully Chris Knott will prove to be my new Greenlight (the insurer i used when i was insuring my Leon/CTR etc), stayed with them for 5yrs running as no one could ever beat them!
You make a good point there, Matt. The cheapest quote isn't always the one to choose.

You make a good point there, Matt. The cheapest quote isn't always the one to choose.

Yeah when you look at the reputation of the companies that give the cheapest quotes on price comparison sites it usually ain't that good, and there's one saying that's held true for me for a while now "buy cheap buy twice", how often do you ever find that something that's "cheap" is ever really that good!?

Sure i read somewhere ages ago about how your better off paying slightly more for insurance and getting a better level of cover etc, rather than simply opting for quote "A" because it's the cheapest price! It's always a good test of how good ( or not) an insurance company is if/when you have to claim!