Anyone else just 'not bonding' with their new RS3?

My biggest annoyance with the car is the USB charging points.

Can't put my phone (pixel 6 Pro)on the charging pad and plug it in. And wireless charging doesn't charge my phone.. And so it sits in the cupholder plugged in with a cable running across the middle of the car.. But then when you put anything in that area you can't get it out as the cable is in the way. And I've actually bent one connector slightly by accident. It's just waiting to be broken. With USB A things were more sturdy.

I think my solution will be to get a cigarette lighter charger..

Then I'll fully bond lol

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
Full agree, wireless charging or not, the size and layout of the arm rest storage is poor and the usbc area is awkward to use.
I miss the 8v arm rest storage. All wires tidied away out of sight or wireless, which actually charged fairly well on the s3.
Being in the 8y is like going back to the 2000s with cables strewn everywhere.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, Snake Pliskin and IanL-RS3
Full agree, wireless charging or not, the size and layout of the arm rest storage is poor and the usbc area is awkward to use.
I miss the 8v arm rest storage. All wires tidied away out of sight or wireless, which actually charged fairly well on the s3.
Being in the 8y is like going back to the 2000s with cables strewn everywhere.

it is a terrible design flaw isn’t it.
Visible cables / can’t leave your phone as it will be on show … how hard would it have been to have at least included a compartment / lid ?

Reactions: Jassyo06, RSt3ve, DangerMouseUK and 1 other person
My biggest annoyance with the car is the USB charging points.

Can't put my phone (pixel 6 Pro)on the charging pad and plug it in. And wireless charging doesn't charge my phone.. And so it sits in the cupholder plugged in with a cable running across the middle of the car.. But then when you put anything in that area you can't get it out as the cable is in the way. And I've actually bent one connector slightly by accident. It's just waiting to be broken. With USB A things were more sturdy.

I think my solution will be to get a cigarette lighter charger..

Then I'll fully bond lol

I just put my phone screen side down in the wireless charging cubby.

Eventually I’ll just cover the wireless charging pad with something aesthetically pleasing.

All that pad does is make my phone hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually I’ll just cover the wireless charging pad with something aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah it did that to my iPhone a few weeks back.

Agreed but doesn't help when you need to charge your phone.

Edit: just catching up on the other threads. Really feel for guys that have been and are still waiting. Puts things in perspective.

Last edited:
After just over 3 weeks with the New Car decided I Prefer my R Might be an Age thing now as after nearly 3 Years with My Golf I feel I just don't want the change of all the different technology as well as just seem happier with the R So will be putting an advert with photo's together over the next week. Unless there is anyone who has cancelled or doesn't want a long wait I have a SB Vorsprung Edition in Kemora Grey Registered 20/10/22 with less than 200 miles would like an Enthusiast to benefit from my sale rather than a Trader Cashing in so only looking for £60K if any member is interested
RS3

Reactions: spookuk, Jassyo06, Southall87 and 7 others
I wrote out to stay in it but read back and saw the delays and your thoughts and saw a picture of the Golf which looks smart so now I won’t suggest staying in it lol, if the spark has gone do what you feel is right.

Can’t disagree with you as the buying process and Audi UK really soured the whole purchase for me as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Real Thing, Jassyo06 and RS03???
This is really stupid feature.

I like most of us will have the AC set on Auto (why that needs a separate button?) But if you put on the window demister then turn them off... The fans remain on full rather than going back to auto..

It's bizarre that the logic for that has been missed in this day and age. Even weirder that it has to be programmed (I would have thought it was reused code from the past 20 odd years) and was missed!

Reactions: itsbigyellow

I like most of us will have the AC set on Auto (why that needs a separate button?) But if you put on the window demister then turn them off... The fans remain on full rather than going back to auto..

It's bizarre that the logic for that has been missed in this day and age. Even weirder that it has to be programmed (I would have thought it was reused code from the past 20 odd years) and was missed!
Oh, that explains why every time I get in Mrs Deadeye's S3 the AC is not on auto. ***!

It's a weird one this as sometimes the fans go back down and other times, they stay up full.

Yes I picked up on that fan thing as well, my car will also 'steam up' for a short spell after a the car has sat in the drive for 30 minutes when re started, almost as if the air con evaporator is still wet or a heater drain is blocked

Reactions: IanL-RS3
Speaking of which......is it just me and my car but is anyone else struggling to demist their front windscreen in the morning (now that the colder mornings are here again)??
This alone in the mornings is making me "not bond" with the car...especially when you're in a rush/kids school run/appointment.....
Had an 8P RS3 for 10 years before this and never had an issue demisting that in cold mornings (within a reasonable time frame before being able to safely drive off).

Reactions: Rhurs
Speaking of which......is it just me and my car but is anyone else struggling to demist their front windscreen in the morning (now that the colder mornings are here again)??
This alone in the mornings is making me "not bond" with the car...especially when you're in a rush/kids school run/appointment.....
Had an 8P RS3 for 10 years before this and never had an issue demisting that in cold mornings (within a reasonable time frame before being able to safely drive off).
had this with ALL my audis.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The only car it did not happen was on Ford's with heated front windscreen. Ended up using Anti-Fog from Ra1n-X , works quite well.

The only car it did not happen was on Ford's with heated front windscreen. Ended up using Anti-Fog from Ra1n-X , works quite well.
This stuff??:

Will give it a go as it's so frustrating waiting for it to demist.

Cheers

This stuff??:

Will give it a go as it's so frustrating waiting for it to demist.

Cheers
Yes, The glass surface inside has to be super clean. Apply the product as instructed very sparingly with a microfibre towel and let it fry for 3-5 minutes and buff. After application for the first few mornings 3 or 4, will see light fogging, wipe lightly with microfibre cloth to buff the misting away. Then it should be good.

Reactions: Prodigy
Bizarrely, I'm actually having a bigger challenge with the outside of the windscreen misting up on cold mornings. I have to run the wipers for the first few minutes otherwise it mists within a few seconds. Eventually it's resolved when the fan heater kicks in. I was planning to try both inside and outside with the RainX this weekend. Agreed with what RS03 said - my wife's old Focus never had this problem! So much for progress...

Another small annoyance.

Can't easily lock the car after starting the car. Handy for the freezing weather at the moment.

On my old X5 I pull the key from the fob and lock it manually. On the RS3 because the key hole in the handle is covered it's not so easy to access and even then I'm not sure it would work.

I wonder if there's a setting to allow the car to be locked from the fob while the engine is running.

Another small annoyance.

Can't easily lock the car after starting the car. Handy for the freezing weather at the moment.

On my old X5 I pull the key from the fob and lock it manually. On the RS3 because the key hole in the handle is covered it's not so easy to access and even then I'm not sure it would work.

I wonder if there's a setting to allow the car to be locked from the fob while the engine is running.

Not on the 8Y.

Shame as I had it enabled on the 8V.

You can do that with the Pandora Storm plus (If you activate it) you can even do it without even leaving your house, or from anywhere in the World (very usefull that one :) )

Not on the 8Y.

Shame as I had it enabled on the 8V.

The Tesla can be pre-heated from the app.
That aspect is very useful atm ;)

Reactions: rngDeadeye, IanL-RS3 and 8YARWY
Lol having it in the garage saves a lot of time.

Same here … but useful in the day when the cars been outside in this weather. The RS3 8y is my worst Audi so far at getting the heater up to temp and demisting the cabin.

Reactions: itsbigyellow and 8YARWY
Same here … but useful in the day when the cars been outside in this weather. The RS3 8y is my worst Audi so far at getting the heater up to temp and demisting the cabin.

To be fair mines been ok the past few days even in these temps.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Fully agree. I'm p*ssing £3.00 down the drain in fuel every morning "warming" it up to clear the screen........

Reactions: IanL-RS3, itsbigyellow and Snake Pliskin
It is literally the worst car ever that I have owned during the winter. My 1982 Mk1 Astra SR even did better at warming up and demisting. This morning I used the X5, defrosted and up to a decent cabin temperature in 10 minutes in a very damp -3. The 8Y, 20 minutes on the drive for the defrost, still demisting as I am going down the road

Must admit the Golf R EA888 engine used to be up to 90c by the time I got to the main road (nearly 2 mile) the RS3 engine hasnt even registered on it's temperature gauge by then (I know it's oil temp) but it's not blowing warm air at me either

Reactions: IanL-RS3 and itsbigyellow
Must admit the Golf R EA888 engine used to be up to 90c by the time I got to the main road (nearly 2 mile) the RS3 engine hasnt even registered on it's temperature gauge by then (I know it's oil temp) but it's not blowing warm air at me either
My '98 Landy Defender is never the first word in comfort or performance. I love it to death, but it still deals with demisting better than my £60k+ 'RS'

• Haha
Reactions: Mike.46

The EA888 has the manifold in the head design though so it heats up a lot quicker.

This thread is so depressing, someone pls post some good stuff in my "good stuff" one instead!

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Adi7r, VAGRANT, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
This thread is so depressing, someone pls post some good stuff in my "good stuff" one instead!

TX.

Errr

Hmmm

Ok I had my seat belts changed and they didn’t damage anything

• Haha
Reactions: Southall87, RSt3ve, Snake Pliskin and 2 others

TX.

I kinda post here for fun...... Because of the title...... Ironically maybe....

Still love the car... And will never be sold....

Reactions: Terminator x

TX.

I kinda post here for fun...... Because of the title...... Ironically maybe....

Still love the car... And will never be sold....

Reactions: Terminator x

TX.

Sorry mate - that thread’s dormant :)

Something good … ok … erm ….

Although the heating system takes an age to warm up and clear the windscreen, the seat heaters get up to temp in no time, they get roasting hot very quickly ironically.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Terminator x