Anyone else just 'not bonding' with their new RS3?

Mike.46

Reaction score
I don't know why but I am just not 'bonding' with my RS3 (Tango Vorsprung SB) and i'm not sure why? is it just too quiet? too refined?

Just now and then I catch a glimpse and think 'Looks nice'

I keep harping back to my 17 Golf R with nice spec, that put a smile on my face every time I drove it, this car just isnt doing that for me?

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, DangerMouseUK and 8YARWY
Interior maybe a little too spacey for you?

It does take a while to get into the new layouts of new Audi's these days, it's quite a stepup & change in design tbh, very very angular & in your face a bit.

Reactions: Mike.46
I don't know why but I am just not 'bonding' with my RS3 (Tango Vorsprung SB) and i'm not sure why? is it just too quiet? too refined?

I keep harping back to my 17 Golf R with nice spec, that put a smile on my face every time I drove it, this car just isnt doing that for me?
If it don't put a smile one's face now it never will unless you spend spend on expensive exhaust etc etc
I got rid of the tts which did put a smile on my face and it sounded great for a opf ea888 engine why did l sell it? Well for a RS3....but that's FUBAR waiting all this time

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Mike.46
I love the car but with time , interior looks realy poor :D , car dont sound that good anymore :) but I think i still love it

Same…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, George Jetson and Mike.46
Should we be cancelling then do you think chaps?

TX.

@Mike.46 need to see more pics of your red one ***!

Might cancel then and go pre OPF 8V ...

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: toooldforboyracing and Mike.46
Loving mine! Massive upgrade on the 8v in every way....except the sound. That's the only thing that needs addressing in my opinion. As soon as the ecu is unlocked the sound will be sorted.

Reactions: Mike.46, Mastachaz and Terminator x
I'm absolutely loving mine. Maybe you should've bought a Saloon instead :thumbs up:

Reactions: 3vans, toooldforboyracing, Mike.46 and 2 others
I'm absolutely loving my sportback. Puts a smile on my face every time I see it and every time I drive it. In the first 6 weeks I have probably had about 15 comments from random people walking or driving by saying how good the car looks. It's got great road presence and I personally really like the interior. I actually prefer a slightly more understated look and for me it looks a lot higher quality than the A35/A45 bling interior.

Reactions: vatdim, 3vans, Mike.46 and 3 others
The car is the perfect size for me, really fantastic to drive. A small boost in power I admit but really it has great performance stock.

If people are considering cancelling over a couple of comments from random people on a forum.. just LOL.

I'd take a credible source over forum spouts. Watch Joe again if you need someone to do your thinking for you.

Reactions: Keano04 and RichK
To me the SB looks like a child’s car - It just doesn’t look like it is the right size. It looks like an A1 to me.

The saloon looks just right - of course personal opinion but I loved the pre-facelift 8V sportback look and the facelift still looked great in SB but 8Y… not for me.

But also interior - make a few changes to make it feel and look better.

2C31B472 BECC 440E 902C 64BB171F4689

• Haha
Reactions: mister.c., George Jetson and Jassyo06
Steering wheel looks great, why do we get screwed over in the uk though with no interior pack!

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Spinstorm and garethdj
To me the SB looks like a child’s car - It just doesn’t look like it is the right size. It looks like an A1 to me.

The saloon looks just right - of course personal opinion but I loved the pre-facelift 8V sportback look and the facelift still looked great in SB but 8Y… not for me.

View attachment 255596

I've always been drawn to the small car hatch look in any brand, but wanted a carbon black RS3, but not that roof spoiler, so I have my first 'saloon' car in nearly 15 yrs and love the looks.
My last car was a SUV - my 1st and my last, the size is ridiculous for the UK inner city roads, too much stress!

Reactions: 3vans and Mike.46
^^ I am still hopeful that I can delete that rear spoiler and/or get them to not install it #prayforme

TX.

• Haha
Reactions: 3vans, AndyVWR and Mike.46
I'm absolutely loving mine, despite it being a child's car

They're kids balance bikes on top, tiny....

20220610 131617

Last edited:
Reactions: FBF01, Keano04, mb127 and 4 others
I absolutely love mine, did have to get some exhaust note to it, but seriously - it pretty much is what you want it to be when you want it to be. It will never be an out-and-out sports car, but you can switch it all to comfort with a hangover and gently trundle into work

Reactions: Mike.46 and RSt3ve
Better daddy car haha

View attachment 255596

View attachment 255596
And here’s me thinking the saloon just looks like a old mans car

• Haha
Reactions: Apache007, 3vans, RS03??? and 3 others
And here’s me thinking the saloon just looks like a old mans car

And some people like to stick stupid body kits on their cars... everyone has their own preference and that is fine! We just all have to love our own cars and be happy.

However the rear arches on the saloon are something you miss on the SB.

• Haha
Reactions: George Jetson
And some people like to stick stupid body kits on their cars... everyone has their own preference and that is fine! We just all have to love our own cars and be happy.

Thats one bit I do like on the SB :)

What you mean ? Rear arches are same on both

The saloon carries on further back than the SB so it in my eyes accentuates the rear arches more.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Because you can be sure as much as we all argue about Saloon vs SB there are more people who don't even realise it isn't a normal A3 or notices it at all!

View attachment 255596
Steering wheel does look nice at the moment.....having had both interior design packs in my 8V fl and tts fl one red and one in blue they where classy The 8y needs the full design pack to hit it off vents and steering wheel stitching alone dont....do it
Had both sportback and saloon...saloon is the better looking car but also the most impractical

Reactions: Spinstorm
Still Bonding, bit of a challenge @20mph with speed humps on every road around here. Perfect on the M-Way and A-roads out of London.

I absolutely love mine, did have to get some exhaust note to it, but seriously - it pretty much is what you want it to be when you want it to be. It will never be an out-and-out sports car, but you can switch it all to comfort with a hangover and gently trundle into work
I think that could help, it's perhaps too 'comfortable' and 'quiet' even when any Dynamic/RS modes are selected, I can see what it 'could' be when in RS mode with neutral selected, I think I will have to try an exhaust valve controller

Reactions: itsbigyellow
I think that could help, it's perhaps too 'comfortable' and 'quiet' even when any Dynamic/RS modes are selected, I can see what it 'could' be when in RS mode with neutral selected, I think I will have to try an exhaust valve controller
It is funny how these things can make a difference. I remember how disappointed I was when I came home in full RS Performance and the missus said 'I didn't even hear you come up the driveway'. The controller has changed that and it makes me much happier.

Reactions: vatdim, Mike.46, Add_Profile and 1 other person
In response to the OP with less petulance:

As a box ticking exercise the RS3 does it all for me, so from that point of view I love it. When I'm behind the wheel, I love it, when I'm sat in traffic I love it and when I take all my gear to races, I love it.

However, it's not a sports car, so when looking at it sat there, sometimes I'm 'meh', sometimes I'm 'wow'! Only sports cars are 'wow' in my opinion.

My previous 370z Nismo was not the quickest or the greatest sounding v6 but I truely loved it, it looked fast sat still and drew way more attention than the RS3, it is after all just a fast family car (dons tin hat).

Reactions: vatdim, 3vans, George Jetson and 5 others

And something use are missing on the saloon is you have a chore of closing the boot yourself :sign unfair:

Reactions: RichK and Mastachaz
It is funny how these things can make a difference. I remember how disappointed I was when I came home in full RS Performance and the missus said 'I didn't even hear you come up the driveway'. The controller has changed that and it makes me much happier.
When I am out in the garage I could hear the wife in our golf R about 30 seconds before she turned into our Close, with the RS3 she creeps up on me and I hear nothing until I see the car :(

Reactions: itsbigyellow, Jassyo06 and 8YARWY
In response to the OP with less petulance:

As a box ticking exercise the RS3 does it all for me, so from that point of view I love it. When I'm behind the wheel, I love it, when I'm sat in traffic I love it and when I take all my gear to races, I love it.

However, it's not a sports car, so when looking at it sat there, sometimes I'm 'meh', sometimes I'm 'wow'! Only sports cars are 'wow' in my opinion.

My previous 370z Nismo was not the quickest or the greatest sounding v6 but I truely loved it, it looked fast sat still and drew way more attention than the RS3, it is after all just a fast family car (dons tin hat).
I agree 100% with all you say tbh, the car does all of those things and yes my R8 looked better (I love that mid engined front screen on top of front wheel arch look) but still it's not 'lighting my candle' I guess I need some more 5 cyl sounds

Reactions: RSt3ve and 8YARWY
In the PFL 8V the wife could hear me from a few streets away, enough time to put the kettle on!

TX.

Reactions: furious_iPod, toooldforboyracing, Mike.46 and 4 others
The saloon carries on further back than the SB so it in my eyes accentuates the rear arches more.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Because you can be sure as much as we all argue about Saloon vs SB there are more people who don't even realise it isn't a normal A3 or notices it at all!
To me, I'm not sure many people are arguing about Saloon Vs SB, the thread is about bonding with your/our cars (no mention of body type). You lit the thread up by referring to the SB as a child's car, perhaps smaller would have been a more diplomatic word. Sorry, but that was wide of the mark and a little antagonistic IMO.
I've not really felt the need to show my frustration on here yet since joining but that comment irked me, almost suggesting that the Saloon is superior or a 'proper' RS3 compared to the SB RS1 as you put it.

To follow up on your point about differentiating between the model types, I have to agree, I saw a Turbo SB Sline yesterday and at first glance it looked very similar to mine. Nice looking car tbh and very sheep in wolf's clothing. That said, the aggression of the RS3 does stand out, just not seen many on the road to be able to compare (seen 2 in 5 months).

Reactions: George Jetson, Mike.46, Spinstorm and 3 others
To me, I'm not sure many people are arguing about Saloon Vs SB, the thread is about bonding with your/our cars (no mention of body type). You lit the thread up by referring to the SB as a child's car, perhaps smaller would have been a more diplomatic word. Sorry, but that was wide of the mark and a little antagonistic IMO.
I've not really felt the need to show my frustration on here yet since joining but that comment irked me, almost suggesting that the Saloon is superior or a 'proper' RS3 compared to the SB RS1 as you put it.

To follow up on your point about differentiating between the model types, I have to agree, I saw a Turbo SB Sline yesterday and at first glance it looked very similar to mine. Nice looking car tbh and very sheep in wolf's clothing. That said, the aggression of the RS3 does stand out, just not seen many on the road to be able to compare (seen 2 in 5 months).
I have only seen one last November l think it was in Glasgow Audis forecourt Kemora launch edition sportback and the only thing l didn't like about it the sportback was it's colour
Anyway it's not a good feeling at all when you buy a car and once the honeymoon period is over ....and buzz goes and it stays with you .....I have never witnessed so much hype about any car by the media etc etc since the launch of the MK7 Golf R ...Throwing money at it in my mind aint worth it as its more than expensive enough

Reactions: Mike.46, Snake Pliskin, RSt3ve and 2 others