Anyone changed the heater matrix themselves?

Did this on my mk2 golf which id imagine would be easier tbf. Good luck to you fella, not a hard job but time consuming and all of a sudden your car will be in bits with you scratching your head.

All part of the fun though....ive been told.

What did you guys use to clamp the 2 heater hoses that connect to the heater matrix? I'm thinking that mole grips will do the job as I dont want to fluch the whole system?

Shove a bit bolt in the end and jubble clip it ****.

If you do do the mole grip route, put something over the jaws to protect the pipe work.

Draining and refilling is a real easy fella. Undo and open the plug on the rad, then just fill with fresh stuff and run for 10 mins :) good excuse to change the stat whilst you're there...

If your heater matrix is gone then there's every chance it's corroded from the inside out due to loss of corrosion inhibitor in the coolant. Well worth doing a proper full flush of the system and replacing the coolant and thermostat as said if you're going to all the other bother.

Last edited:
The car had a full flush in June when it had a new turbo fitted and service done. I'm not touching the stat either as that was done 2 years ago.

I got the matrix out tonight and it was pink where the thing had been leaking coolant. I swapped it for the new one (euro car parts one) but the bits that go on the end of the matrix pipes wont fit tight enough so coolant leaks out.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow but basically the ends of the ECP matrix is different to the VAG one so i'll be trying to get a genuine one tomorrow.

The car had a full flush in June when it had a new turbo fitted and service done. I'm not touching the stat either as that was done 2 years ago.

I got the matrix out tonight and it was pink where the thing had been leaking coolant. I swapped it for the new one (euro car parts one) but the bits that go on the end of the matrix pipes wont fit tight enough so coolant leaks out.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow but basically the ends of the ECP matrix is different to the VAG one so i'll be trying to get a genuine one tomorrow.

I'll be getting a unit from Audi then.

Yours was leaking but the only symptoms you was getting is the smell?
Crap, I better crack on and get mine done.

Look how ******** the matrix was:

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Good work mate... nob of a job but satisfying when done...

I assume the whole dash doesn't have to come off as it did on my A4?

<tuffty/>

I bought mine from GSF at the time however the S3 uses push fittings IIRC and the A4 (at the time) used normal clips... maybe o-rings are rubbarsh? worth trying the ones from the one you took out as you know they didn't leak from the connections?

<tuffty/>

I bought mine from GSF at the time however the S3 uses push fittings IIRC and the A4 (at the time) used normal clips... maybe o-rings are rubbarsh? worth trying the ones from the one you took out as you know they didn't leak from the connections?

<tuffty/>

I'm going back to euros at lunch to check they haven't given me the wrong part. The push connectors are fine and still seal up fine on the old matrix. I'm starting to thing that euros have given me the wrong bit maybe?!

I'm going back to euros at lunch to check they haven't given me the wrong part. The push connectors are fine and still seal up fine on the old matrix. I'm starting to thing that euros have given me the wrong bit maybe?!

wouldn't be the first time... at least you have the old one for reference now...

<tuffty/>

A bit off topic. Is there a valve in the pipework of the matrix to turn the coolant flow on and off when you adjust the temperature on the heater control or is the matrix always hot and the heater air controlled by a separate flap?

A bit off topic. Is there a valve in the pipework of the matrix to turn the coolant flow on and off when you adjust the temperature on the heater control or is the matrix always hot and the heater air controlled by a separate flap?

Flap that changes the flow to the matrix.

I've taken the ECP matrix back and I refuse to use their crap again. I've ordered an OE one from a small parts place. The guy described the part to me from the pic he had on his system and apparently it has the quick release hose clips. I pick it up tomorrow so I'll find out then.

Ok I got a heater matrix from Allparts Automotive and it was identical to the ECP one and leaked in the same place.

My advice to anyone doing this is to just pay the extra and get a genuine part! Got one on order at VW now.

Ok I got a heater matrix from Allparts Automotive and it was identical to the ECP one and leaked in the same place.

My advice to anyone doing this is to just pay the extra and get a genuine part! Got one on order at VW now.

...until that one leaks and you discover its you sausage fingers at fault... ;P

<tuffty/>

Hope its all fixed now Westy.

Unfortunatelynot Sandra. The other heater matrix leaked at the hose clips too so I've had to order a genuine one from VW. I'll fit it a week on Monday when I'm back from my holiday.

I'm just catching up with your thread with the pics in Westy, I've done a matrix change on a mk2 Golf and more recently a Toyota Rav4, both were basic systems, but were a PITA job to do none the less! An S3 heater matrix change should be harder still, so good job!!

I'm just catching up with your thread with the pics in Westy, I've done a matrix change on a mk2 Golf and more recently a Toyota Rav4, both were basic systems, but were a PITA job to do none the less! An S3 heater matrix change should be harder still, so good job!!

Thanks Jojo. I'm still researching the flap issue that VCDS has picked up. PITA is an understatement ;)

Just reading through this, and i have coolant smell, so think I may attempt it this weekend. How long did it take you in total, could a novice do it okay?

Cheers

Just reading through this, and i have coolant smell, so think I may attempt it this weekend. How long did it take you in total, could a novice do it okay?

Cheers

It can be done in a day at a leisurely pace. Make sure you buy a genuine heater matrix from VW/Audi or you will get leaks, I tried 2 different non genuine parts.

At the end of the day it's all just big boys mecano so it's not too difficult, just remember how everything goes back together. I found the A3 Haynes manual was quite handy to have too.

Cheers Westy. Ill have to grab myself a copy of Haynes and maybe take plenty of photos as I do it. Ive had underneath the steering wheel off before and its those stupid metal clips that seem to bend if you look at them funny, Ill have to get a pack of them.

Cheers mate :)