Anyone changed a fuel cap lock actuator

Chris Nelson

Audi S4 B8.5 Black edition. APR stage 2+ 495bhp
Reaction score
Evening dudes ive been putting up with this fault for ages because at first it was intermittent now it does my head in. Me fuel cap doesnt unlock at all off the fob so im having to use the red cord in the boot every time i fill up. Once its been unlocked with that it locks and unlocks fine so i put it down to the actuator being sticky.

I got a new one to fit but it looks like you gotta take the full fuel cap stuff out to change it.

Anyone done this before cos theres only 2 bolts inside the fuel cap and they didnt seem to release it too easy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mine was same for a while but eventually fixed its self before I got involved

Nah not at all mate until i pull the cord and once its opened once its sound from inside and the fob but like half an hour later it will be stuck again. Even if i can get to it to clean it up would be a result

I changed it on a B7. I don't know if it's the same but the two bolts in that cases were "reverse screws", that clamped the actuator to an inner panel with the screw heads on the blind side. The visible ends were the tapered ends of the threaded section, but slotted so you could turn them with a screwdriver. Because they were "in reverse", they were turned clockwise to loosen and anti-clockwise to tighten.

@Tashfeen, guess who's worked out uploading pics directly. :)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 4,403
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 2,428
Reactions: scotty76, Chop. and V6_Man
I changed it on a B7. I don't know if it's the same but the two bolts in that cases were "reverse screws", that clamped the actuator to an inner panel with the screw heads on the blind side. The visible ends were the tapered ends of the threaded section, but slotted so you could turn them with a screwdriver. Because they were "in reverse", they were turned clockwise to loosen and anti-clockwise to tighten.

It must be a different set up on the b7 that looks like its its in the boot compartment on the b8 its in the fuel cap itself behind the black plastic its 2 torx head bolts that maybe hold in in place from the front :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be a different set up on the b7 that looks like its its in the boot compartment on the b8 its in the fuel cap itself behind the black plastic its 2 torx head bolts that maybe hold in in place from the front :/

Ah sorry, hadn't noticed before now.

Reactions: V6_Man
Ah sorry, hadn't noticed before now.
It seems a bit strange for them to move it to somewhere rock hard to get to the b7 looks like decent access

Reactions: V6_Man
I changed mine not so long ago. It's a 5 minute job. If I rember rightly there is 1 screw under the locking rod. Remove that and any other screws you see in there then pry the surround for the filler out. Best to use some kind hook. Once that is out the actuator just slides out. Nice and simple.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I changed mine not so long ago. It's a 5 minute job. If I rember rightly there is 1 screw under the locking rod. Remove that and any other screws you see in there then pry the surround for the filler out. Best to use some kind hook. Once that is out the actuator just slides out. Nice and simple.
Nice one bro cheers ill have a bash. So you dont have to take the door off or anything? Was yours same type of issue

I changed the solenoid on mine, think it was one of the first jobs I did. Easy enough but unfortunately Audi make it more expensive than it needs to be by not using a few screws on the fuel cap interior lining that could be undone.
Instead to get at the solenoid you need to poke some holes in the plastic liner to release the clips that secure it. Some people just reuse the existing liner and silicon the holes. They aren't that expensive.
The following link is slightly incorrect as it says the liner comes with a new tank flap and that will need repainting. It doesn't come with a flap, you can easily remove the existing flap from the liner it's just clipped on if I remember.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ing-a-defective-fuel-tank-flap-solenoid-motor

So to do it properly you need a solenoid, tank flap inner lining and the sticker that goes on the inside of the tank flap as you won't be able to remove the old one. Most people though just reuse the liner and silicon the holes to stop any water finding it's way in.

Reactions: EXSpartan36
I did mine a few years back - cost £32 for the actuator and plastic surround inc sticker (local Audi dealer).
As desertstorm says, to do it properly remove the plastic surround (had to drill mine out) and replace. Your painted fuel flap will unclip from the old surround.