Anyone been to Malta?

Alba77

Reaction score
Right, holiday booking time of year again.. Girlfriend and I looking for somewhere I little different this year. Last year we had about 3 seperate holidays which we spent touring round west coast scotland. I was perfectly happy but other half wants some sun this year..lol..

Two choices Italian Lakes or Malta..

Know a fair bit about lakes as Parents go there every year. But know nowt about Malta.
Got a rough budget of grand for the two of us. You dont get much in the lakes for that, while on Malta you can get 4 or 5* HB 7nights:).
high5.gif

Question is, I know Malta has gone through a major redevelopment over last few years, but anyone been or know anything about it? Im going online in bit to check out for areas etc, but were looking at north of Island around St Pauls Bay
smile.gif

Got a good deal at San Antonio Hotel and Spa, which im just about to check out, reviews etc. Oh, we dont want busy, nightlifes etc. Looking for Quiet, lots to see and do, nice restaurants and quiet bars etc..

Cheers

Steve

Malta is like Marmite...you either love it or hate it.

We hated every minute of it when we went 4 yrs ago. We stayed up North as well and we were so bored. We hired a car for a week just to get about to see things but there is not alot to do unless your intrested in History of Malta and old buildings in capital.

We were in mid 30's when we went and the average age had to be 55-60
There were other couples are age there but they all hated it and we all looked at booking early flights home.

Hope this helps

Cheers Rabs.

Sitting doing nowt would suite me fine, but the other half likes to be on the go. War museum, old buildings and stuff would be fine for her.

Will need to look into bit more then. We are in our early 30's so we would be looking for quietish..

Was a bit concerned when the travel agent said that when you land on the island it appears very built up etc.:(

I know the island has gone through a major upgrade, but just trying to find out good and bad experiences etc..

Cheers again

Steve

We've been a few times and usually stay around in St Juliens. As long as you avoid the area around Paceville you'll be fine - it's the concentrated area (about 100 x 100 yds) of bars & nightclubs.

The good thing about staying in St Juliens is you are handy for lots of restaurants, and it is a bit younger than other areas of the island.

Last time we stayed in the Hilton in Portomasso, which was brilliant. If you do go check the air malta website for hotel deals - they had the best prices of just about anywhere.

Food & drink in Malta is very cheap, and you can eat out at a very good restaurant for not much at all.

St Juliens is about a 40 minute walk to Sliema along the beach from & tower road, from which you can get the ferry across to Valetta.

A lot of the more scenic stuff is to the North and South on the island; Gozo has far more open space too. There is very little grass on the island, and some of the locals think the local bird is the crane as they are all over the place. But it is a very relaxing place. It's also great for diving.

Funnily enough I'm planning on going to the Italian lakes this summer - any recommendations?

I looked at Malta last year, but was warned off it by everyone I spoke to that had been there... due to it being so boring.

I cant sit still to save my life, so no good for me. Plus, even the olds I was speaking to said they were a bit bored.

Italian lakes Ive heard are lovely (esp Sorrento)... wouldnt know if theres much more to do but theres probably nicer views!? ;)

We've been a few times and usually stay around in St Juliens. As long as you avoid the area around Paceville you'll be fine - it's the concentrated area (about 100 x 100 yds) of bars & nightclubs.

The good thing about staying in St Juliens is you are handy for lots of restaurants, and it is a bit younger than other areas of the island.

Last time we stayed in the Hilton in Portomasso, which was brilliant. If you do go check the air malta website for hotel deals - they had the best prices of just about anywhere.

Food & drink in Malta is very cheap, and you can eat out at a very good restaurant for not much at all.

St Juliens is about a 40 minute walk to Sliema along the beach from & tower road, from which you can get the ferry across to Valetta.

A lot of the more scenic stuff is to the North and South on the island; Gozo has far more open space too. There is very little grass on the island, and some of the locals think the local bird is the crane as they are all over the place. But it is a very relaxing place. It's also great for diving.

Funnily enough I'm planning on going to the Italian lakes this summer - any recommendations?

We were looking at Lake Garda - Malcesine. Although be careful of the very busy road which runs around the coast line. Weve found a couple of stunning hotels on the lake side, but reading the reviews on tripadvisor.com some are right on the road side. But for the Lakes I would reccommend Lake Garda and Marcesine.

Cheers

Steve