Any tips on buying a B6 A4 1.8t

Nathan baines

Reaction score
i am looking to buy an A4, what should i look for when buying on, are there any common faults and is 100,000 miles too much. Any advice will be a help.

100.000 miles is nothing on these cars. Most important on the 1.8t is the frequency of oil change and the use of the larger oil filter. Most common fault will be bubbling arches on the front wings, most but not all suffer this. Check everything electrical works especially the central locking from the key.

Is the oil filter an after market oil filter? Also how do i find out which exact engine is in the car because ive seen for different engines with different bhp, appreciate the help.

If you remove the plastic cover on the cylinder head you will see on the front right hand corner of the cylinder head three letters stamped on there, will probably be BFB = 163 hp or BEX = 190 hp.
The size of the filter is more important than the make. The larger oil filter increases oil capacity which is important in a turbocharged car.

Glad to help.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The largest filter available comes from the Vw T4 2.4 litre and is huge.

The is also a build sticker in the spare wheel well, if you take a photo you can then use this to decipher exact car spec. There is a website you use, input the letters and you will see what the car has as it left the factory.