Any tips for fitting a boot seal?

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Earlier in the year I thought I had cured a water leak in the boot by using some clear sealant around the boot seal.
At some point a previous owner must have removed it, and managed to kink it along the top so it had a small gap where water was making it's way into the boot area, so I have bought a new genuine seal (£60!!) and will be fitting it soon, but I don't want to damage it during fitment.

I'm sure it's probably a simple case of removing the old one, cleaning up the surface area and sliding the new one into place, but if there are any tips to make this easier or things to look out for, i'd appreciate the advice.

I would clean the area thoroughly and even wax the area as often if water has found a way in it will follow the same track. Also clean and wax the boot lid where the seal will touch.
Also if the seal is a long strip find the middle and mark it with tape etc. Start with the mark at the middle of the top of the boot.
The waxing of the lip should help the seal push on easier but only push it on enough to keep it in place whilst you go round the whole boot. When you are happy with how it lines up, push it on properly. Try to avoid having to take it off again so the locating section of the seal is not bent backwards.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I use a rubber hammer to seat the rubber seals back in place but don’t go mad bashing the hell out of it. Just using my hand to knock the seals on buggers up my wrist, hurts for hours after.

It has built in flexible metal strip within iirc, crush this together so the seals tight before putting onto the metal edge, that way it grips much better, tbh you can squash it together with your fingers, this of course also holds it tighter in place, offer it up so you get proper fitment then work round either with your palm or rubber mallet as advised.

Thanks for the tips guys, I was planning to get this done over the weekend, but the weather forced my hand so I did it today at work.
Aside from needing a thorough clean to remove grease and adhesive/sealant it wasn't too bad of a job.
I used the seam in the seal to line up with the boot catch at the bottom, and made my way around and up the inside of the boot opening.
Some of the trim needed removing to allow better access, but it made the job easier and I was able to get it seated correctly on the first try using my fist to knock it into position (no rubber hammer available).
I have checked the inside of the boot a few times during the last 4-5 hours of non-stop rain and the panels that were wet have dried out and it looks like the seal has done the job. £60 well spent.

Reactions: SootySport, samuelh_888, ch1z64 and 1 other person