Any recommendations on where to get a turbo?

Nathan Bailey

Blue Audi A3 Sport
Reaction score
I have been looking everywhere for a new turbo or reconditioned turbo for my A3 (1.9tdi BXE) and every place I look the prices are sky high around £400. The cheapest place I have found is for £300 with giving my old turbo back. Does anyone know anywhere that will do cheapish turbos? Preferably the North East.

I am changing this because the past few weeks a lot of white smoke has been coming out of my exhaust and my car goes into a limp mode with the fault code P0234 Turbo Charger Overboost. I have had a quick look at the turbo and the wastegate is seized and I have tried freeing it off using the Mr Muscle method but still no luck. Can someone please just verify I am correct in changing the full turbo before I throw away a load of money?

Buy a cheap 2nd hand unit from a scrappers and rebuild yourself.
Then rebuild the unit you take out and sell it on.

Reactions: Nathan Bailey
CR Turbos have good reviews on here, they come and pick your turbo up and then deliver it back to you too (£15 carriage). I have a 1.9tdi and when I thought my turbo was bad (it wasn't) I got a quote off them, they quoted me £245 to recon my turbo which can take 3-4 working days or exchange your turbo for £295, they only use garret as exchange, which IIRC is what was used on the BXE block.

Take your existing turbo off the car, strip it and clean it properly, and replace it. Will cost you nothing to do except your time.
Mr Muscle is a temporary codge usually, you won't get as good a job as stripping it and cleaning out.

Thanks for the replies!
Got a quote from my local scrapyard for £140.
Think I am going to go for the cheaper option and just take it off and try strip and clean it, will update once done.

Reactions: audismart and Mujnu